Thread: Racemodes for SlipStream GX

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    RICHochet

It's nice to see so much thought is going into this, I do have a question though. Even on custom zone tracks won't you still need to address the issue about not being able to make turns at the faster zones? Of course, in tracks specifically designed for zone this won't be a problem as quickly, but it is inevitable that it will become an issue at some speed threshold. In other words, the agility adjustment as speed increases will be necessary regardless of whether the track is a default track or specifically designed for zone. Regardless of whether or not default tracks are used in zone though I'm sure it will be fun!

For the campaign mode do you have any plans in particular? Campaign in WipEout has always been the most disappointing aspect of the games for me since it's basically a bunch of "challenges". Pretty much all my enjoyment comes from TTs and SLs. The one major improvement for WipEout that I've always wanted to see was some kind of career mode. Something where you could start at the bottom and work your way up to race for a major team. The reveal of the "street racer" has piqued my interest since it seems like this could be hinting at a career mode like this. Is it too early to say?

Anyway, great work on this project. The demo is amazing! Best of luck!
    Last edited by Richochet; 2nd January 2013 at 01:26 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Thanks for your kind words.
    And yeah, you are right. We need to have realtime adjusted ship physics in Zone mode anyways. Without too much of a rush, I am trying to create a basic layout for the Electrogrid Zone track right now to have a testing area set up asap.

We have a basic idea about the campaign mode. I'll just type it down here:
    We have 8 teams. Each team holds it's own grid, a series of events. But before even getting there, the player needs to get a higher status so the teams are interested in signing a contract. He can do so by winning 4 events in a row on Porto Kora. All ships will be the street racer... The Thruster ST-116 which you can see in the recent demo. We also have another big surprise for you what you really wouldn't expect in an AG racer, but we won't unveil that yet
    Anyways, once you beat those events, you can sign a contract with one of the 8 teams. From then on, you will go through all the teams grids in a row, also the grid of your own team. This means, you can't change the ship for the rest of the campaign. Each team grid holds a couple of events. Winning one event unlocks another one and so on. Usually you have the choice between two or up to five events at one time in the certain team grid. Eventually you will get to the final event, the "Head To Head" race. In this event you will race against the prototype ship of the certain team [the team of the current grid]. If you win this event, you will unlock the prototype ship for the racebox and you will have access to the next team grid.
    With progressing through the game, the events on each team grid become more and more, and the challenges will be harder.

So yeah, as you can see, we have a little improvement comparing to WipEout. Still we didn't create one particular big storyline for the campaign mode. But yeah, creating the campaign is one of the last tasks, so there might be some changes still
    Last edited by docfo4r; 2nd January 2013 at 02:15 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Unless the handling is identical between crafts, being locked to a team choice for the entire game is a BAD idea.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

you can actually switch at any point but all the teams have their own individual campaigns and events, so you can't finish the cen-r campaign with the ifreet or vice versa but you'll still be able to play the different teams whenever you like, the campaign is just a series of team specific challenges, much like you had in wo2097/XL

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    GalaticTitan

For a suggestion for a mode, I call it "Rack-em-up".

The objective is simple. You race but ahead of you is some small crafts, small as in not the size of the craft. You grab weapons and can be limited to like rockets, missles, cannon or other medium like weapons (no defensive or limited power weapons). They can be in 4 colors. White can be normaly sped up crafts. They would also have like a very weak shield ( 1 shot, 1 kill) and would be worth 1 point. Red brands have a somewhat stronger shield and can only fire a rocket or a small amounts of fire of a cannon from behind but not as accurate.. Those can be worth 2 points. Green ones have a stronger shield as well but are rare to find. The con is that they can fire mines. They can be worth 3 points. A gold one, which is more shielded and is very rare; can fire cannon, a rocket or some mines. They'll be worth 5 points.

An option for you could be that if you do get hit, the bots will slow down till you catch up or just simply try to catch up without assistance. Laps count from the designated class you pick.

Its just an idea I had from the top of my head lol. And I think it could be a nice addition to the game modes.