Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Jay's Speed Mod

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Ice View Post
    Or am I wrong Flashback_Jack!?
    Probably, but who says I use custom firmware? I certainly didn't, but I have already laid out exactly what sort of time investment I've sunk into this game (probably more than anyone to date), so if I say more, I'll be repeating myself. Just know that like you, I've honed my technique and earned my keep. Couple that with a massive amount of persistence that has me running laps around a single track in three and four hour increments on average, and well -- method to the madness right there which no amount of firmware limitations would or could hold back. Quite simple really. Wipeout is pretty much the only game I play.

I set records because I don't fear the accomplishments of a Kandang or Asayyeah or Mad Ice. For me there are no barriers. I neither see them nor create them, and that's why I succeed. It's also why Packetmon, barely a few months of Pulse under his belt, will succeed as well. He is in exactly the same mindframe as I concerning belief and effort as it relates to achievement. Despite the recent fracas surrounding him, I uphold him as an up and coming champion, and on that I stand firm.

Having explained all of that previously, It's little more than mildly concerning to me that anyone would ignore the fact to home in on whether or not I'm using custom firmware, almost as if the nearly 500 hours I've dedicated to playing this game are of secondary importance. Is it?

Such impulse, man, and all this before we've even analyzed the race. Number of speed pads hit? Number of successful barrel rolls? How about why the Agsys is able to eat up corners unlike the Icaras and Piranha, both of which are rather digitally assumed to be the "fastest" ships in the game when all the while Egg has stated that, taking into consideration all characteristics, the ships are balanced? And how about the clearly established fact that "perfect" laps aren't necessarily fast laps, just as imperfect ones aren't necessarily slow? What, those things don't matter? There is logic in there and when it doubt, it's our job to dig it out. There is neither logic nor sense in ignoring the big picture, Ice.

Like I said, I'm in the wrong place to even entertain the idea of objectively discussing CFW, because there is an almost singular and unanimous viewpiont around here that it is evil, for reasons largely assumed, and likely entertained by those who've never seen it in action. To even offer a syllable of conversation on the topic is met with derision on one hand, bans on the other. Just saying. That isn't to critize either; it's simply the way the place is run and I respect that, but I do mind when I'm baited out on it, mostly on account that I care less about it than most others, so if I ignore responding to your messages, it's for a reason; I don't engage in close-ended debates on open-ended matters. No response on my part is just that -- no response. Draw all the assumptions you wish, but I should hope and trust nobody would take them to be factual.

No disrespect, but despite the question marks in my post, I honestly don't want to debate the matter with anyone, because I've -- we've done it to death.

- F
    Last edited by Flashback Jack; 31st August 2008 at 09:00 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Jeez, you just don't get it, do you? Noone claims CFW to be bad. It is simply not allowed for setting records. The fact that you dance around an actual answer, wrapped up in a lot of BLAH (sorry to sound harsh here), only proves to me that you have indeed set your current records on CFW. No, we don't think it made you faster than you would be without CFW, but yes, it IS illegal for setting records. So, would you please go about and re-set your records without using CFW? Please.
    Interpreting your ample statements in previous posts, that shouldn't be a problem for you, should it?

Edit: I apologize for making such a harsh post here, just felt this had to be stated loud and clear. I don't judge you in any way, I'm just saying you should consider how long-time record holders will feel about your records if you can't even give a straight answer to a simple question.
    Last edited by eLhabib; 31st August 2008 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback Jack View Post
    It's little more than mildly concerning to me that anyone would ignore the fact to home in on whether or not I'm using custom firmware, almost as if the nearly 500 hours I've dedicated to playing this game are of secondary importance. Is it?
    Not at all for me, and I`ll explain why.

To go back to athletic analogies, I could start pumping myself with steroids and EPO but it is hardly going to get the world`s athletic federations in a flap if I can barely run to get a pack of ciggies, a pie and a bag of chips without getting out of breath. But if I`m a good athlete they will be concerned at my breaking the rules. You`re a good pilot, so if you used CFW it could make a big difference. It`s not a question of anyone ignoring your skills to concentrate on firmware issues, as you suggest, infact if someone is skillful it becomes more of a concern to some of us. Sure, no-one should break the rules anyway, but if you`re in 24th place, in the real world no-one is going to care.

Personally I think it gives a small but significant boost that makes a difference for top pilots. Don`t assume I haven`t done something to be able to make a little bit more than assumptions myself.

And even if it makes no difference, which is not my view but I could be wrong, El`s point stands. Aside from all the "performance issues", it would just be positive if everyone would commit to playing by the "no mods" principles we arrived at in this thread. What eL said, basically.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    ..it would just be positive if everyone would commit to playing by the "no mods" principles we arrived at in this thread.
    Hence the header "test" in my original post.

I've already made the case to Al that since this mod thing has been disclosed, I think the Pulse (and Pure) tables are irretreivably tainted anyway, so I've long since abandoned entering records. With this along with all the other undisclosed variables floating around between here and the record tables, why bother even simulating fairness? Honor system or not, one man's definition of fairness isn't always the next man's, and I can say that artificially enhanced times have entered the tables here because at least one person admitted so.

I'll battle the taint on wipeout-game.com instead, with or without this speed mod as I deem necessary. If a piece of tape is what it takes to push the envelope further, so be it.

When the PS1 I ordered arrives, I might enter some records here at that point and with the knowledge that hacks are less prevalent on the larger consoles, but for me, this speed mod thing is far too much of a game changer. I'm ambivalent if not dismayed at how much of a difference it makes.

- F

----------

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    ..you should consider how long-time record holders will feel about your records if you can't even give a straight answer to a simple question.
    Not a simple question by any means, which is why I don't readily address it. To answer one way or the other is to set the stage for a cascade of assumptions to be drawn about what that answer entails. You may assume as you wish, but I won't if I can help it, and I certainly won't help you.

- F
    Last edited by Lance; 31st August 2008 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Merged two successive posts by same user. Read the guidelines, please.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I'll state it as straight and simple as possible:

Were some of your records on these tables set using CFW?
    []YES
    []NO

Yes, I know I am being rude now, but this is just ridiculous.

Edit: As I already said, I don't assume CFW gives you an unfair advantage. Actually, I think it doesn't make a f*cking difference at all. The only thing that matters is that it simply isn't allowed. A swimmer at the Olympics won't be faster if he wears skiing boots while swimming. Still, he won't be allowed to the tournament this way. What you have to understand is that the record tables here revolve around a code of honesty. How can your times be trusted if you can't even give an honest answer? And don't say it's irrelevant to your performance. I assume that it is indeed. However, it is relevant to your credibility.
    Last edited by eLhabib; 31st August 2008 at 10:09 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Check your private messages.

- F

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Arnaud: Don't forget you and the rest of FFF and, well, all of WipeoutZone and Wipeout Arena members are invited to any and all Wipeout-related tourneys I host in Florence

[/offtopic]

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Hi again,

First : an offtopic feeling I wanted to share with you : we should stop now with this thread. Flashback_Jack, Mad-Ice, Asa, djmaniac, kandang... 99% of the w-o game ranked guys are TRUE heroes. We are so lucky many of them are part of this community, because they are f----n' FAST. That's all. Ok here the Jedi council decided speed mod & CF are forbidden (of course I understand this decision, only the FORCE, the basics you know)... Because some confirmed & apprentice Jedi knights (like me) fell into the dark side LOL using "advanced technology" like... a piece of tape yeah. Now let me quote Elhabib HDpreview:

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    Default setup, IIRC, is this:

X = Accelerate
    [] = Fire
    O = Absorb
    /\ = Look back
    Select = View change
    R2, L2 = Airbrakes

Furthermore, you can of course choose if you wanna use the sixaxis
    - not at all
    -just for pitch
    - for pitch and steering

then there's some sensitivity settings and a rumble on/off, and that's it.
    Well, I think we've been too far here, "maximum" pitching down is maybe the future of Wipeout, at least it's allowed in Hd. It would be great if FINALLY kandang (Mister 21.04 at Talon white with an Icaras) or Eleven GG (mister 21.00 @ outpost 7 white with a tiny feisar) could finally post here. 2 fantastic & true wipers for sure, with or without speed mod/CF. Please, don't forget : "Practice is all it takes. Lots of it". First words Flashback said to me.
    Last edited by kanar; 1st September 2008 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Elhabib you're right

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Who's to say that pitch down makes you always faster in HD? I haven't really dug into this, but judging from 1up.com's preview from back in April, pitch has to be adjusted to the track (which would be AWESOME, and the way it should be actually).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Of course Elhabib, I really hope this speed mod was just a pure/pulse "glitch" myself. I'm sure SL developped a new anti-grav engine.
    Last edited by kanar; 1st September 2008 at 12:16 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Or was it AG Systems that developed the anti-gravity engines?

"but judging from 1up.com's preview from back in April, pitch has to be adjusted to the track (which would be AWESOME, and the way it should be actually)."

funny, though I need to laugh about 1up(egm). 1up(egm) gave better music to fzero x over wo64, rated it 2 points higher, also egm gave wipeout fusion 8.5's, also, egm also gave in the older days, a 9 to a late 90's madden game for innovation (seriously, even if it was a good game, the innovation should be a 1). Egm also said thatpure felt a lot like the old wipeout games. They do not have a clue. My guess, and this is just a guess, unless SL has been reading these threads about pitch when the discussion started (whicH I doubt), it should be in HD, since it is a mix of pure and pulse, although I hope it is not in myself.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I agree that EGM has been pretty uninformed in the past. However, they do have a pretty fresh team now, and I really enjoy the 1up show lately. I think they actually now wipEout pretty well - especially Shane and Ryan - I think he mentioned on the 1up show that, if you're playing with a DS3, it will rumble when the pitch is not right. That sounds pretty promising to me.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Indeed they did eLhabib. Hopefully 'When pitch is incorrect' means that pitch down was taken out. Or else it will rumble constantly, either because we're not pitching down when pitch down is always the right pitch, or because we are pitching down when the track is flat.

PSN ID
    Axellink

EGM are useless. WO64 music was the best sound quality on a cartridge PERIOD. Yes it only had 6 tracks, but racing through Qoron IV with FLUKE blazing through my speakers was pure Zen.

F-Zero X did have some catchy tunes though

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Just a quick FYI: there were 8 music tracks in WO64 Unless of course it differed between regions.

The rumble doesn't mean anything though, if the ship still goes faster however it looks like they were thinking about it, so we will see

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    F-Zero X did have some catchy tunes though
    Ewwwwwwwwww

Wipeout > F-zero in general IMHO, but when it comes to music,
    Wipeout >>>>> F-zero.

From a franchise perspective, F-zero must be Ninty's most retarded intellectual property this side of Starfox, heh. And that's from a long-time Nintendo gamer!

I bet F-Zero ships wouldn't even be able to feel nose-down inputs no matter how strong and stretchy the tape.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

as a matter of fact there IS nose-down in f-zero x... otherwise you'd be sent off flying on some bumps