Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: commercials in online loading screens?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by gettinmoney662 View Post
    the only time i would complain about advertisements in a game would be if the advertisement played in the middle of the screen during a race.
    ** rofl **

PSN ID
    Jimsin

I haven't seen these adverts myself yet, but I thought I'd chip in with my opinion anyway.

I can't stand adverts.

I can handle them on something like Spotify, where you are getting a free service, which is paid for by the adverts, and you have the option to pay a subscription fee to have it without the adverts. But with something like Wipeout HD you've already paid for it, so it should be advert free.

Another example would be watching a film on TV ... you can deal with the adverts, but if you really love the film, you can buy it on DVD ... once you've made that purchase you don't want the DVD interrupt the film with an advert break!!

One of the reasons I enjoy Wipeout is to escape from all the rubbish that gets thrown at you from the outside world. It's a self contained environment, where the only things that matter are skill, speed, concentration, reflexes etc. If I start getting adverts rammed down my throat, then it would definitely have a negative impact on the game for me. If SL need more of a budget, then they should provide the option of an advert-free patch for another £2 or something like that. Or should have just charged £9.99 for Fury in the first place, because it was worth it.

And I don't hate adverts because I'm weak willed and think that I'll be sucked into buying Hannah Montana CDS or anything. I hate them because I find it objectionable to have my personal space intruded upon by something that 99.99999999% of the time I'll have absolutely no interest in whatsoever.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Oh boy.

Firstly, I think all you people pointing the finger at SL need to take a step back and do some research.

A while back SCEE said on Playstation.com that they were going have 'content partners' who will come along and fill our games with shite, or as they put it "Enhance the user experience". I'd highly doubt SL has ANY say someone in the know correct me if I'm wrong.

The fact the SCEA implemented this first should be no shock to anyone considering the US is commercial central, just try watching the live broadcast of Monday Night Raw, the number of ad breaks is unbearable.

Its only a matter of time before EU players get a dose of the same treatment.

I won't stop playing or buying Wipeout games or content in the future.

Hahaha, I read the first four pages of this thread and the replies are hilarious. I find it so funny that people are so vehemently against advertisements and I know the real reason why: they think advertisements brainwash you into buying things and they don't have the will power to resist.

Who cares if there is an advertisement in the loading screen? Who even cares if there's an advertisement in an in-game billboard? How does that affect the gameplay at all? Is your ADHD so bad that you can't ignore them and crash into the walls?

The only time I would complain about advertisements in a game would be if the advertisement played in the middle of the screen during a race. Any other option is fine with me because I will do what any normal person does who is not interested in buying the product being advertised: ignore it.

Furthermore, if this is all it takes to get you to stop playing Wipeout and supporting Studio Liverpool, then you weren't much of a fan to begin with.
    Hahaha. A perfect exampe of someone who can read but unable to absorb key data...

You forgot to address the key issues with your dumb post, these are mentioned throughout the thread....

Advert slows loading times according to the users who complained
    Advert is causing game crashes
    Advert is crap
    Dont think anyone really said they were scared of the advert and might run off down the raod to buy insurance.

I myself havn't got the add so i dont care but there are members this has affected.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Quote Originally Posted by IH8YOU View Post
    I stopped playing Wipeout because of the ads - they break your immersion into the game
    I think they broke the game immersion to some extent when the added "Ahh now that's better" or whatever it was to one of the load screens explaining absorbing pickups or such (sorry don't remember offhand exactly what it was). I remember the first time I fired up Fury and saw that it kind of bummed me out. Everything seemed fitting except that. Seemed like it was a little too nonchalant or informal for such a high tech environment.

PSN ID
    Jimsin

Good point about SL's involvement in these adds.

Like I say, I'm from the UK and haven't seen them myself, so I'm just going from what I've read on the forum - but yes, I doubt that SL have anything to do with it. Still absolutely hate the idea though.

Also wanted to add that seeing such intrusive adverts has a negative effect on me - I tend to actively avoid the company responsible, and choose one of it's competitors instead.

Hmmm ... I didn't like the 'ah, that's better' either - but that was one of the only things I didn't like about Fury.

PSN ID
    XBARNSTERX

I could list so many things about wipeout that annoy me, this would not be one of them. At the end of the day its only a loading screen. As long as the game doesnt crash, my records update(which they havent) and the framerate drop keeps to a minimum well i'm happy

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

Quote Originally Posted by jimsin View Post

Hmmm ... I didn't like the 'ah, that's better' either - but that was one of the only things I didn't like about Fury.
    it was a tad too duke nukem

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I found it slightly amusing, ahh thats better

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier Racer View Post
    I found it slightly amusing, ahh thats better
    Yeah it's not a deal breaker and sort of human. It just didn't seem to fit the futuristic theme though.

Timezone
    GMT -8

Quote Originally Posted by jasmin-jade View Post
    You forgot to address the key issues with your dumb post, these are mentioned throughout the thread....

Advert slows loading times according to the users who complained
    Advert is causing game crashes
    Advert is crap
    Dont think anyone really said they were scared of the advert and might run off down the raod to buy insurance.

I myself havn't got the add so i dont care but there are members this has affected.
    1. People have admitted to not actually timing the loading differences between the two and even if it does, what's the difference? 2-3 seconds? To quote Matt Hazard, "if you had anything important to do, you wouldn't be playing a game."
    2. That's the only valid issue I've heard of so far but it's only affecting a miniority of users.
    3. Yeah, that's a very important issue. I can't believe I didn't spend a paragraph or two talking about it. I feel bad that I didn't discuss such a major key issue to this argument.

Maybe the reason I don't care about the ads is because I play Wipeout to have fun and not to pretend I'm a hovercraft racer from the future.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Evin if you were a Hovercraft racer from the future guess what your car would be plastered with... AD's And guess who would be calling you every day asking for sponsorship? the people who MAKE the ads.

I agree with Gettin Money here

1. People have admitted to not actually timing the loading differences between the two and even if it does, what's the difference? 2-3 seconds? To quote Matt Hazard, "if you had anything important to do, you wouldn't be playing a game."
    2. That's the only valid issue I've heard of so far but it's only affecting a miniority of users.
    3. Yeah, that's a very important issue. I can't believe I didn't spend a paragraph or two talking about it. I feel bad that I didn't discuss such a major key issue to this argument.

Maybe the reason I don't care about the ads is because I play Wipeout to have fun and not to pretend I'm a hovercraft racer from the future.
    Refering to your last sentence...Asumption is the basis of all ****ups

:-:-
    Last edited by Aeroracer; 2nd August 2009 at 10:32 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -8

Quote Originally Posted by jasmin-jade View Post

Refering to your last sentence...Asumption is the basis of all ****ups

:-:-
    What are you talking about?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    futureproof2011

Then tell me how an ad during a loading screen affects your gameplay in any way, shape, or form?

What don't you like about the ads? Do you not like how they're unintrusive and are separated from when you play the actual game? Do you not like how they mean extra revenue for SL and is probably why we got such a beefy expansion for a low price? Do you not like how it might support SL in making future expansion packs and bringing more of your favorite tracks into HD?

No one cares what you guys would prefer. I would prefer if there were no ads as well. I would also prefer Fury to have been free. I would also prefer if Sony were to give us $20 every month to make PSN purchases with.

When given a choice, I don't think anyone would choose ads over no ads so of course you would prefer no ads, but if 30 second ads lead you to stop playing Wipeout forever, there's something more behind this than just a preference against ads.
    No, actually, there is nothing more behind it. They are putting ads in a game for which I paid them money.

...and I thought you said you were not the one using "whiney hyperbole"?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Quote Originally Posted by newtype View Post
    They are putting ads in a game for which I paid them money.
    Now I don't want to get into it but if that's your criteria I'm sure you could find tons of stuff you do that you've paid money for and there's advertising involved. Heck you can't hardly buy clothes that don't have logos on them. That is effectively advertising. Even movies that I've paid money for and either had luck by-passing the trailers, ads, marketing of the intro I have to endure a avalanche of product placement or downright shilling of goods and services.

I guess that's my problem with it though. There's so much of it everywhere that I was hoping my video game would be the last bastion of ad free entertainment. Of course that's not the case. In fact I was shilled to buy Wipeout HD long ago in High Velocity Bowling (even though that makes more sense than trying to get a twitchy video gamer to buy life/home/auto insurance.

Timezone
    GMT -8

No, actually, there is nothing more behind it. They are putting ads in a game for which I paid them money.

...and I thought you said you were not the one using "whiney hyperbole"?
    You pay for cable TV, newspapers, magazines, Internet service, clothing, movie tickets, tickets to sporting events, etc.

I'm sorry, what was your point again?

Furthermore, this isn't the first game to feature in-game advertising. At least, with Wipeout, the ads are only in the loading screens instead of on billboards inside the game.
    Last edited by gettinmoney662; 3rd August 2009 at 01:34 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    futureproof2011

Quote Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post
    Now I don't want to get into it but if that's your criteria I'm sure you could find tons of stuff you do that you've paid money for and there's advertising involved. Heck you can't hardly buy clothes that don't have logos on them. That is effectively advertising. Even movies that I've paid money for and either had luck by-passing the trailers, ads, marketing of the intro I have to endure a avalanche of product placement or downright shilling of goods and services.

I guess that's my problem with it though. There's so much of it everywhere that I was hoping my video game would be the last bastion of ad free entertainment. Of course that's not the case. In fact I was shilled to buy Wipeout HD long ago in High Velocity Bowling (even though that makes more sense than trying to get a twitchy video gamer to buy life/home/auto insurance.
    I totally understand what you're saying, but here is why I think it's different:

-when you are listening to an album/cd, people would be pissed if they put ads in between tracks

-if you are reading a novel, there is an ad after every chapter

-you are watching a movie, and in between scenes, an ad briefly flashes on screen

I just think people would be more pissed off if it was happening in these forms of media...I believe the same degree of anger should be leveled at this game.

Timezone
    GMT -8

I totally understand what you're saying, but here is why I think it's different:

-when you are listening to an album/cd, people would be pissed if they put ads in between tracks

-if you are reading a novel, there is an ad after every chapter

-you are watching a movie, and in between scenes, an ad briefly flashes on screen

I just think people would be more pissed off if it was happening in these forms of media...I believe the same degree of anger should be leveled at this game.
    The difference between Wipeout and those things are that there are no breaks in between chapters or songs or scenes whereas in Wipeout, there are breaks between every race.

Newspapers and magazines, there are ads between each article. In TV shows, there are constant breaks.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

I must admit, the ads are annoying me more than they did initially...seems like I see it an average of every 3 races or so. I was playing through the 8-race tourney in the final campaign grid today and the ad popped up between 3 races in a row at one point. So, the frequency combined with the fact that it's the same damn ad over and over and over and also combined with the resultant longer loading times is making me a little crazy. Like I said before though, despite the fact that I'm not happy about it now, it won't stop me from playing. I also share the sentiments of whoever said that they'd purposefully go out of their way to avoid the company being advertised and go so far as to purchase from their competitor...I'm the exact same way.

Oh, and I can't stand the "Ahh, that's better!" line at the end of the absorb tutorial either...it makes me cringe every time...so cheesy IMO.