4 9.30%

Thread: What's Your Favorite Team in SSGX and Why

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Ruuku___ (three underscores)

I dunno, It kinda feels like a fusion of Wipeout 3 and the original, but with the tracks of HD, which isn't a great mixup.

I'm not sure if my sideshift keys are working or not, I didn't know you could, but the control changer definitely needs to be better than the default unity one, I couldn't fathom what keys were what.

I don't know if this game requires airbrake abuse, but so far either they turn directly into a wall, or not at all. ATLAS is just the one that feels the most balanced between those.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

I think it is basically closest to an HD recreation of WO3, with the narrow tracks and floaty handling, not that it's a problem with me, can't go wrong with Wip3out! SSGX has the feeling where the airbrakes start out with minimal effect at first, but that effect grows rapidly, again, it just requires time and mastery (and use of the D-pad ). HD had really wide tracks compared to WO3, which probably had the narrowest of the series. Lastly, the problem just could be that you're not flying iFreet.

On a personal note, addressing the dev team here, PLEASE don't change the handling very much! I understand small tweaks and such, but I have come to love this handling style more than any other WipEout game ever. The most exhilarating video game experience you can have is slinging an iFreet around Cassandra at night at Gamma Speed with the blue headlight of LOGOS bearing down on you, knowing that you have to keep a perfect line through the corners, but block the bottom on entry, and hope your pursuers don't have any weapons. I could play your demo for ages, and I think you've nailed it, although it does take a lot of mastery, it feels like the first true AG racing simulation since WO3, and for that, I thank all of you who have contributed and developed this wonderful game.

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    dreadofmondays

Quote Originally Posted by DDD113 View Post

On a personal note, addressing the dev team here, PLEASE don't change the handling very much! I understand small tweaks and such, but I have come to love this handling style more than any other WipEout game ever. The most exhilarating video game experience you can have is slinging an iFreet around Cassandra at night at Gamma Speed with the blue headlight of LOGOS bearing down on you, knowing that you have to keep a perfect line through the corners, but block the bottom on entry, and hope your pursuers don't have any weapons. I could play your demo for ages, and I think you've nailed it, although it does take a lot of mastery, it feels like the first true AG racing simulation since WO3, and for that, I thank all of you who have contributed and developed this wonderful game.
    ^////^ dawww

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Thx for the kind words DDD13
    Well I believe our never-resting Damian will tweak and optimize the handling through the progress of development, but I also hope and wish that the current setup will be the ultimative basis. And yeah, it isn't completely arcade, it requires a little bit of practice to master the handlings. But the final game will have a Tutorial, on a very easy track layout which is wide and overviewable and everything. There ppl can get comfortable with speed classes, handling, weapons etc.

One very important thing though:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruuku View Post
    but the control changer definitely needs to be better than the default unity one, I couldn't fathom what keys were what.
    I fully agree here, we gotta see that we are going to change the labels. It is everything but easy to set up controls

One thing we must keep in mind before talking about the handling is "how long have I been playing this game". The dev team has many months of experience and we're still not perfect. Maybe Zero3Growlithe is the closest to perfect because he spends a lot more time testing the physics.

Point is: SSGX is not an easy game. The tracks are much tighter than on WOHD with little margin of error. You will even have to let go of the accelerator sometimes. It's not made to make your life easy. It requires way more practice than the average WO game.

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    dreadofmondays

Here's a link to a video of a player making an almost flawless run. SSGX can be mastered in style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hiq4XX_xg_M

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Ruuku___ (three underscores)

Yeah, turns out I may be slightly... no completely wrong.

There is no turn delay, it's simply that SSGX handles digital input oddly. It "ramps up" how much lock you put into turning, making every ship as heavy as a Helios. But as soon as I put in a PS3 controller... still a horrible control changer by the way, the game plays a lot like HD/Fury and Wip3out, and I love it!

ATLAS is still my boy though, but I can do gamma class and everything! the analog is handled correctly at least. I even did a night race on both tracks internally, scary things XD
    One thing we do need though, is a time table for time trial/speed run. I can't tell which ship is fastest for me at the moment, but I managed to beat TypeProton on Cassandra Alpha around 3-4 times.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Well, it seems like my campaign to recruit an other iFreet supporter has failed... oh well, A.T.L.A.S is a good team too, I have no problem with them. And to you Ruuku, I didn't realize you were playing this on a keyboard, yes, it is much better on the controller, glad you like it now! I have a TT and SL record table set up, just screenshot your time on hard difficulty and post it here: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...-Record-Tables

Edit: Wish I would have had FRAPS when I set that 2:00.1 on DC Gamma time trial, but I have it now, so I guess I'll just have to replicate it!
    Last edited by DDD113; 19th November 2013 at 01:01 AM.