Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Joining The Club!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Post Back To The Pure!

Well, 3 months with Pulse was about enough for me.
    I'm sure I'll get back to it later, but I've found multiplayer Pure to be more fun. So I'm back to Pure, thread re-opened! 8 )

It started out as a little project, but oh how it has grown!

Initially I was bothered that every time I ran a non-Phantom race in multiplayer I'd earn records all over the place. It's been so long since I played non-Phantom SR that even if I played badly I was beating my previous records by 10 seconds at least. So I figured I'd just load up Vineta K with a fast ship and run through all the tracks and blow away all my old records. Then I entered the times (since I didn't want those sad old times representing me on the tables) and noticed that I was suddenly taking the gold all over the place! The lack of activity on the NA tables is mostly to blame there, I'm sure. 8 )

So I took on the Pure NA Vector challenge, and something astounding happened! I was flying Porto Kora, blowing away my old times, when suddenly there was something in front of me... and it was an AI ship. What? What lap was this? What position am I in? Frantically looking all over the screen I realized that this was the 3rd lap and I was indeed in 1st place. I had lapped the AI opponents! I knew Pure was a little slow, but this was definitely unexpected. "Ah!" I said to myself, "It's because of all the BR opportunities I'm taking!". PK being the BR-happy track that it is, it was pretty easy to lap the AI. Was this possible on any other track? Hmmm...

Blue Ridge was a bit tough to get, Arnaud had a fairly good time there.
    Citta Nuova took some work, but mostly because it's not my best track. I'm better at it now. 8 )
    Manortop and Khara Descent were definitely tough nuts to crack. I actually had to pull out Triakis for them! I doubt Arnaud was really trying for records when he made most of these times, because I beat a lot of them with the Icaras, and it didn't take me too long. Still, I'm firmly on top here and I'm happy with my achievement. However transitory it may be. 8 D

Staten Park was the next track that I lapped the AI on, all while chasing that crazy Italian around the track. He's got mad Zone skills. Mad I say! I never did manage to take that record, it would've taken 2 turbos a lap I think. I would love to hear the story about that race! Pierluigi Alemanno! Tell us the story about Pure NA SR Vector Staten Park! How did you keep up such great speed? Simply blazing!

So, Vector is firmly defeated, moving on...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Porto Kora is easy to lap the AI because some of them can stay stuck on the walls near the first bump (On the left side) after the long right turn from the starting grid and also on the last U turn before the starting grid some will ram into the walls either inside or outside of the turn. So yeah, lapping the AI is pretty easy, in any speed class. I wouldn't know about Staten Park though, I have not played it enough for this to happen to me (Although I mostly play in Phantom and it may be impossible to lap them at that speed.)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Jay : I haven't pushed hard in N/A Pure, you right, i stayed focused on the Pal one where most of the players were competing. Recently at Al's house we practiced to your Toronto's tourney and i did few new Goteki records in phantom TT, i am gonna upload them soon into WZ table.
    I shall find time to use Goteki in this table

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Post Venom down!

To keep my hand in, I've continued with my attempt to dominate the Pure NA tables. So far, so good.

Chengou Project was the first real stumbling block I hit. My old adversary Tom has practiced this one, and I just could NOT break his time. He's got me beat by over 2 seconds and I can't catch him for trying. Maybe one day I'll be feeling the track and take the big T around fast enough to beat him. Maybe. Don't bet on it though, I'm just not that good on this track.
    Blue Ridge was another toughie, with both Tom and Arnaud beating me by a second here. Again, couldn't crack it. Oddly enough, the Icaras is my best ship here, which just tells me that I'm doing something wrong in the other craft. 8 P
    Sinucit was a similar story, except that I was able to improve my time with both Zone and Triakis, but not by enough to take the gold. Still a second behind. Again!
    I had to pull out the Triakis for Citta, but I got a really nice time when I did. It's just silly how dominating Triakis is on some tracks. Same thing for Sol 2.
    Karbonis OTOH is totally made for the Zone. Once I pulled out that true king of speed and handling the seconds just fell off.
    Manor Top was another track that I needed the Triakis for.
    Ubermall I've found to just be a difficult track. Quite often I'll still be in 4th or something ridiculous in the 2nd lap. Something about that track makes it really difficult for me to pass what is usually a slow AI. Zone took some time off, Triakis took off even more.

Overall, a bit of time with the Icaras is usually enough to get me the top time on the track. When it isn't, the Zone will quite often give it to me. When that doesn't work, Triakis is all that's left to try. I'm still really happy about how the Triakis isn't absolutely required to take the records. It's definitely broken, but not horrifically.

Time to tackle Flash then. 8 )

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Congrats Jay , i already checked few flash new records you did : good job with Icaras and zone.

Usually you can shave with Triakis between 2 till 5 sec on a racetime phantom done by any other ships. ( Pal and ntsc)
    But the question is , do we really need or want to use triakis in the ntsc table? i think no for myself.
    When you compare number of players in the Pal table to the Ntsc one, we can stay with a ntsc league of non-triakis : if we want to compete for the fastest time possible, Pal triakis table is the one to choose : if you want a variety of ships ala pulse ranking site , you can use your fav non-BigT one in the ntsc league

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by Asayyeah View Post
    But the question is , do we really need or want to use triakis in the ntsc table? i think no for myself.
    When you compare number of players in the Pal table to the Ntsc one, we can stay with a ntsc league of non-triakis : if we want to compete for the fastest time possible, Pal triakis table is the one to choose : if you want a variety of ships ala pulse ranking site , you can use your fav non-BigT one in the ntsc league
    Sooo, is the grand master of WipEout afraid that Task and me will smoke his records when we switch to using Triakis instead of Zone and Icaras or what? Since we can compare our records of each ship alone now, I don't think we need a "gentlemen agreement" for the tables.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    smoke

Sweet smoke - 'just a poke'

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I've stopped smoking funny things, I only smoke wipeout records from time to time.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

I like to smoke fish.
    But anyway, yeah, if you have a look at the EU Pure tables, they're just totally dominated by Triakis records, but the NA tables don't have much Triakis at all in them. So I can certainly see that as a good reason to continue in my practice of avoiding the Triakis unless absolutely necessary. 8 )
    Icaras, Goteki, Zone, they're all good ships. I'll fly them. So far I haven't had to "resort" to the Triakis much anyways. After all, I've been able to beat most of the times just by spending 10 minutes in an Icaras. 8 D

That seems to be less true the higher I go in speed class though. 8 P
    We shall see...

PSN ID
    Axellink

Hey guys, is it still possible to get the PURE download packs?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Should be.
    The threads you're looking for (found by searching for "download packs" restricted to Pure forum) are here:
    Someone missing packs and looking to catch them all
    This is the main discussion about the available packs
    Here's someone looking for the packs
    Same problem, different person

That should do ya.

PSN ID
    Axellink

Brilliant dude. Thanks a lot!!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by Task View Post

Icaras, Goteki, Zone, they're all good ships. I'll fly them. So far I haven't had to "resort" to the Triakis much anyways. After all, I've been able to beat most of the times just by spending 10 minutes in an Icaras.
    IMHO Triakis is somewhat over-rated, at least for lap time trials, and at least for my flying style

It's definitely possible to get a top three or top five time in the PAL version of the Wipeout Pure with Goteki or Zone, at least for the tracks I have worked on recently. In the NTSC version, you can probably get the number 1 spot in some courses.

Not that Triakis isn't a great ship-- but it's benefits are confounded by the fact that it's a favorite of the top racers, so it tends to dominate the upper levels of the charts.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by Asayyeah View Post
    Congrats Jay , i already checked few flash new records you did : good job with Icaras and zone.

Usually you can shave with Triakis between 2 till 5 sec on a racetime phantom done by any other ships. ( Pal and ntsc)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Sooo, is the grand master of WipEout afraid that Task and me will smoke his records when we switch to using Triakis instead of Zone and Icaras or what? Since we can compare our records of each ship alone now, I don't think we need a "gentlemen agreement" for the tables.
    Hmmmmm, that will be quite interesting! If you Tom and Jay will set your best times in Triakis and Asa will try to beat you with any other ship.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

hey Don't forget you, Mister Bad Pad Man , just stop playing Pulse intensively and go back to your Pure roots, mate
    I'd like to see what can be done by the flying Dutch Mad with its goteki on phantom Ntsc

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Thanks mate,

this gives me an idea, just have a look in the arena! 10 min after the time of this post.