Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Jay's Speed Mod

Only pitch down when getting into the air however, and it is not handled well. Even pure has better air flying (the feel)

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback Jack View Post
    My own test results:

Talon's Junction White (Phantom)

1st 0.22.59
    2nd 0.21.95
    3rd 0.21.62
    4th 0.21.45
    5th 0.21.60

Total 1.49.21 (AG Systems)

And it was an ugly run too with zero perfect laps.

It appears nobody who wishes to be ultimately competitive in this game will stand a chance without this pitch down thing, and that is unfortunate.

- F
    I saw your record on Wipeout-game. I think you know there are more people then just me who has used this mod in the record tables. I think I am the only one who has said it out in the open that I used it on some of the tracks. Now I hope everyone will be honest about this.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Ice View Post
    Now I hope everyone will be honest about this.
    I have no problem with that. I used the mod on a few tracks as well, but I'm not aware of anyone besides yourself and Asayyeah who has admitted to using it on the wipeout-game.com record tables. I'll also be clear in saying I don't use it online and didn't this past weekend. The mod changes the ship's handling characteristics too drastically (ship feels heavier in the corners) that it's almost not worth using it all the time.

- F
    Last edited by Flashback Jack; 22nd September 2008 at 08:03 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I am real happy with your honesty now Flashback_Jack! I know some who did use the mod, but didn't talk about it openly yet. I hope they will do in time!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Hope so, but that this point it probably won't make a difference, because wipeout-game.com is all about speed mod, now.

- F

PSN ID
    AnErare, AnE

Hi guys,

I've been working with 2 profiles ever since I'd decided the ships feel too good not to use the mod. But, the results with zoning are so prefferable I went back to my default profile which I will be uploading when a nice wifi spot gets in my way, with mod'd records.

Some records on the official boards in zone mode reek too much like the mod not to use it in this way.. and still be able to really score on some tracks

Cheers.
    Last edited by AnErare; 23rd September 2008 at 07:27 PM.

PSN ID
    AnErare, AnE

I've tried something different with jaytech.

The mod I use is a spare nub cut to fit underneath the standard one, which is easy to keep around and not loose and still stays put through some heavy beating applied to the psp.

What I did is tried to improve my skills when the ships take off. By inverting the mod. The ship tends to lift off at pretty low speeds, which actually has a wicked result, especially with my much beloved zone mode

I encourage everyone using this mod to try this some time, even if it's just for a good laugh

Cheers!

AnE

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Jaytech is cheating imo - just saying!!! I never use it, and have learnt to pitch on straights and long bends manually - with my hands!!!

Corners are bloody tricky though so I leave them alone!

I consider Jaytech cheating because it requires no effort on the part of the pilot.
    Last edited by ACE-FLO; 8th August 2009 at 01:33 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

I dunno.

To be honest, I find it a bit ridiculous that there is a WHOLE THREAD about alternate controllers to use for WOHD on the PS3 and nobody complains-- and yet the use of a small piece of tape on the PSP nub causes a huge shitstorm.

I wish some solution could be found to this because the record tables for Pulse (and to some extent Pure) are anemic, and I suspect a fair number of folks don't race because of uncertainty about the issue.

I would probably vote for creation of split tables (different tables for Jaytech vs. non-Jaytech racing) though I understand that would create additional work for Foxxy. I am pretty sure that this is the approach that would be used by other TT sites that I have participated in, if they were placed in this same situation.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Well, the argument about alternate controllers hasn't been opened yet.

And my point with the speed mod was that it was exterior aid, you weren't pitching down, the tape was for you.
    For the alternate controller, I hardly see the exterior aid: you still have to drive your ship around the track. And NegCon functions essentially the same as the analog stick, you could be as precise as a PS3 NegCon with the analog stick if you ever practised enough

But sure, according to the rules of the site, which I quoted some posts back in this thread, it wouldn't be valid.

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

I don't understand all the fuss over JayTech. It's not insanely difficult to pitch down manually (even on the O7 hairpins). It just takes a little practice to get used to the reduced handling (more airbrakes and sideshifts needed). Also, manual pitch must be done lightly, otherwise you'll wobble about from accidentally steering.
    Although I've never tried JayTech personally, I'd see it as a disadvantage if anything - does it not remove the ability to pitch up? I use pitch up quite often to get extra BRs in (especially after a weapons or wall hit).
    If it does remove pitch up, then it seems to me that it's a bit like those "turbo fire" functions you used to get on some Sega Mega Drive joypads or whatever (i.e. not much use at all).
    Last edited by MrSmadSmartAlex; 7th August 2009 at 05:58 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

It doesn't, that's why it's an advantage.
    D-Pad inputs override Analog stick inputs, so you can still pitch up with the mod attached.
    It does the same in WipEout HD.
    D-Pad>Analog Stick>Motion Control.

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

Oh, I see. In that case, yes, it's a little unfair for players who have trouble doing manual pitch.
    I'd still recommend manual pitching though, at least wherever manageable, as it provides a fair way to get faster times. And if I can learn to do it, anybody can.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    Well, the argument about alternate controllers hasn't been opened yet.
    I dunno, it seems that it's at least starting to be discussed, and that not everybody is using the default PS3 controller.

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6366

To be clear-- I don't use jaytech and I wish it didn't exist.

But my main concern is that this issue seems to have killed interest in high-end Pure/Pulse competition. Anything that restores interest in these games is a good thing IMHO-- whether that be split charts or simply allowing it to be used, I don't really care.

I don't think there will ever be consensus on whether jaytech is legitimate or not, based on the arguments that have occurred in this thread.

My personal feeling is that the Wipeout franchise has been INCREDIBLY lucky in having relatively few controller issues and game glitches that affect competition. In F-zero and Mario Kart and Diddy Kong and many other racing games, there are very strict and complicated rules for racing styles (PRB, snaking, "free-flight"), controller modifications (mostly d-pad related) and shortcuts. There haven't been many problems of this sort for Wipeout, thank goodness

So my question to the WOZ is this-- what can be done to bring together the folks that WANT to use jaytech and the folks that hate the IDEA of jaytech so that everybody feels motivated to play Pulse and Pure time trials again?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Quote Originally Posted by Frances_Penfold View Post
    But my main concern is that this issue seems to have killed interest in high-end Pure/Pulse competition.
    Wait, what?
    Where do you get this from?
    I would imagine that HD and Fury are mostly responsible for any decline in Pure and/or Pulse racing.
    I find it difficult to believe that a "pitching for speed" game mechanic is the cause of any serious reduction in player base.
    The main reason I don't play Pulse is because I prefer Pure, and I've still got competition on those tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Frances_Penfold View Post
    I don't think there will ever be consensus on whether jaytech is legitimate or not, based on the arguments that have occurred in this thread.
    It's not legitimate at all, consensus is not required! Decision long ago reached, case closed. I'm not sure there was much in the way of argument, mostly lots of good discussion.

I actually think that the whole "pitch forward for increased acceleration" basic concept is pretty good, it's just that there's nothing in the game to account for the increase in wind drag due to not being pitched flat in the direction of travel. Aerodynamics aren't accounted for, maybe they will be next game. 8 )

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    borell

I have never even tried this mod. I like to set my records, and to beat my old times, without it. I agree with Jay, the wipeout games for the PS3 are probably what distracts people from playing pure and pulse (well, I guess that there is still some pulse multiplayer activity).

Frances, do you want some Pure TT? How about you Jay? Anyone else? I'm in!

I see where Frances is coming from. One reason I gave up with Pulse was because I like to play with a level playing field and Pulse has never been that for me. It was such a let down - all the hassle and complication over various issues after we had such great days with Pure. But then I never really liked Pulse either so maybe that is why I don`t play it.

With Pure we just played for the love of it - I found it impossible to play Pulse for the love of it because there was so much surrounding the game. And it wasn`t as good

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

I'm definitely with you on that one lunar, I find Pure to just be a ton of fun, Pulse I just don't enjoy as much.

borell: I'm likely up for some Pure TT. I've mostly been attacking the SR records, so my TT records are likely very easy to beat. In that respect Pure is totally opposite from the other WO's I've enjoyed, usually I'm all over the TT and couldn't care less about the SR!

does this speed mod thing apply to wipeout hd?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

No. ..