Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible hidden track in Wipeout 2097/XL ?

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    dreadofmondays

This is so utterly cool. Fantastic work, dude !

PSN ID
    o_fluff

I've decided to come out of lurking to say thanks for solving a mystery which has been bugging me for almost a decade. Glad to see what it finally looked like!

Quote Originally Posted by tigrou View Post
    Now if you sum the size of the SWP files, you will see this is a total of approx 500MB which means there is not more space for music CD tracks (a CD is max 650mb (approx)).

I think they use this trick when compiling the CD :

The actual music data is stored only once (as uncompressed 16bit PCM 44100 hz stereo...)
    For a given track, the disc Table Of Content, TOC (how many tracks they are, where they begin and end and such) and the CD ISO file system reference the same bytes on the CD.
    I’m no expert of the ISO structure, but your theory totally makes sense on paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrou View Post
    EDIT : Bump ! (mystery solved about hidden track, see my first post thread).
    Looks great, apart from the missing / default textures obviously. I guess the huge cylinder is supposed to be a mini-skybox which is only visible when the ship reaches the outer space for a brief time.

I like the originality of making a very tunnel-oriented track, it opens for a new gameplay and probably original artworks but I kinda feel like the track is a bit too narrow. Sure it fits with the tunnel theme but I’m not sure it’s fun to play. Not to mention claustrophobic people probably couldn’t race on it.

Also it makes difficult to put terraces / bleachers alongside the pit, which is a signature design of the WipE'out" tracks.

All in all this is clearly unfinished business but with a bit of polishing I’m sure they could’ve come up with something good. However, what is finished business is the solved mystery after all these years =)
    Last edited by vincoof; 28th April 2015 at 09:12 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Catastrophic would be the result of unleashing Asa on this track XD

Alright, so maybe this cut track was going to be like Firestar from the original WipEout where it would have been a bonus track set somewhere in space.

Alright guys, I talked to Nick Burcombe about this track.
    What he told me was that it was supposed to be a sort of high speed ring set in a canyon forest "kinda like speeder bikes...Returned of the Jedi". It was abandoned due to draw distance, track length (no room in disk for all the track scenery/textures apparently) and time.
    He also doesn't remember giving it a name.
    So yeah, mystery solved.

I've been remaking this track for Ballistic NG
    Aside from the pitlane and a couple of chicanes and bumps, the layout is pretty much the original, even the giant cylinder drop
    Last edited by Xpand; 16th February 2016 at 02:46 AM.

That is so freaking awesome. Thank you man, you made my day.

Thanks!
    Here's a more complete version

PSN ID
    stin_wz

That looks pretty impressive, asa will love this!

stevie

Timezone
    GMT -6

Do we get to name it? :3
    We should also check the other WipEout releases for unused data, such as Sega Saturn ports, WipEout 64, Wip3out/SE, etc...
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 18th February 2016 at 05:59 AM.

This post suggests the track could have been called “Terminal”. The name was eventually used for the next game, i.e. Wip3out, for another track called Terminal.

Nah, that's a server directory, my guess is that terminal in that context refers to the user terminal, ie, the computer used to access the server.

This "sceneName = silver-track.3-0" and "track10 /server/people/dcrook/terminal/SCENES/silver-track.3-0.dsc bonus", might hold a clue to the track's name.