Thread: Need'a hand: Custom Skins.

Timezone
    GMT -3

Default Need'a hand: Custom Skins.

So since WipEout-game.com was closed, it isn't possible to download skins for your ships. But I want to do skins...and I don't know how I can build it without the site. So anyone knows the file format extension of the skins, and if possible reverse-engineer them to make skins?

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

The site is down. Currently, making new skins is impossible. However, I have heard of people hacking the dlc files for Dissidia to make new character costumes. WipEout isn't popular enough to attract so many people, so getting people who are capable of doing the required hacking is unlikely. But if you know someone who can, feel free! We'd love it around here!

Timezone
    GMT -3

Default -_-'

Man, you just said, what I said above. And I've also tried those tools for dissidia, they don't work on Pulse. I really don't like Pulse textures on the ships, Pure looked better. Texmod doesn't load on PPSSPP so I can't do anything in the game....Anyone has a custom skin installed in your WOPulse? If could be shared, it can be useful....if someone is willing to crack open these files, so new skins are possible.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    eastrain

Ive been working on this for a while on and off... (mostly off in the last few years as my efforts have been more on making altogether new content for pure.
    the problem is that we need a decent selection of working skins in order to sort out how to encode new files. The worst possibility here is that it uses a sony-specific method, the best possibility is that it's a simple checksum style method.
    One thing I do remember (this is all from memory) is that submitting the same skin multiple times resulted in different checksum/encoded area, but the skins can be moved between consoles, accounts, memory sticks, so these are not criteria. more than likely in addition to a simple checksum, there's a date and time or other info encoded as well...

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

If you're looking for the memory card files, I suggest posting a request for it in The Pilot's Lounge, stating your intent to make a utility or system for creating new skins for WipEout PulsE.

If you manage to figure out how to do this, you'll be a hero around here! Good luck!

Sadly, my old PSP was stolen some months back. I MIGHT have an old backup on my old PC, but it'll be a few weeks before I'll be able to check for it. But I'm sure there are plenty of pilots around here with more ready access to their save files.

The fact that the save files don't seem to be locked to systems, accounts, etc, is encouraging...

Timezone
    GMT + 1

So I had some time yesterday to figure out the format. I only had a single skin for a Piranha ship (the only search result when I search for "UCES00465DTEAMSKIN0000") to go by, but it's actually quite easy:

1. Download the ZIP file from this forum post
    2. Use psp-save to decrypt the save content (mode = 5, key = 16 bytes, first byte is 0x01, rest is 0x00 (create this file manually))
    3. The decrypted file will have a 32-byte header (I don't know what its contents are, need more samples of skins for this)
    4. After the 32-byte header, there's 3 image files, each image file contains 16 x 32-bit RGBA palette entries and then 128x128 4-bit palette index (the "pixel data")

Now you can just dump the pixel data to 3 separate images, edit them, then pack them again (each image must be limited to a 16-color palette but the palettes can be different for each of the 3 images). Then just re-encrypt with psp-save and it should load in the game (tested on a real PSP with the UMD release of the game, and on PPSSPP).

If you still have old Pulse custom skins on your PSP memory stick, please dust it off and attach a ZIP of
    Code:
    PSP/SAVEDATA/UCES00465DTEAMSKIN0000
    here (if you have more folders like 0001 instead of 0000 at the end, send them too). For non-EU releases, replace UCES00465 accordingly (can be found on the spine of your UMD case). I won't have time to look into this in the next days/weeks, but if we have collected a bunch of skins, maybe there's a way to make a new skin editor by the time I can revisit this.