Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: STOP PRESS: Formula Fusion - Next gen Wipeout - from ex Wipeout Devs.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

for me it's all about the gameplay. if you mess that up as a developer the game wont become a star... i mean, look at tetris, it's a perfect example of how important gameplay is. if there's no challenge at all, then there's no reason to spent time with it. the look or setting of a game is of secondary importance at best.

cheers

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Well thanks for clearing that up.
    Not so sure what the style/mood intent is?...guess we will all see as things progress.

My support has never been more solid.

I know people with money that could easily fiance this, but they are control freaks... not suitable.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Quote Originally Posted by MrFisty View Post
    This sort of thing (wip)

image_1.jpg

I know it’s „only“ work in progress, and I appreciate the work that’s been put into it. But if there’s one thing I don’t get – and really, this is only my own opinion – it’s the fact that almost every game or movie that sets itself into the „near future“ misses one important fact: Detail.

And I mean detail as in „how do things work“. A lot of Sci-Fi-Settings feature a more or less generic look and feel that is brought by a certain style of architecture and the supposed need to add more detail into something than it actually needs.

Let me give you an example of what I mean:

How does a metal floor look like?
    Well, in real life, something like this.
    And now in Sci-Fi.

The Sci-Fi-themed floor adds dozens of different textures to something as simple as a metallic floor. It’s rivets are huge compared to the footprints, same goes for the gutter’s grids. There are dents and all kind of different molds in unusual angles (the 45°-angle seems to be the sci-fi-angle) forming something as simple as a metal floor. The whole structure looks a lot more sturdy but at the same time overly complex for its purpose, totally not-present. It looks fake.

Same is applicable to almost everything: Houses, vehicles, billboards, street lamps, fences, etc.
    Sure, at first it may seem more appealing to have neons and light streaks everywhere. But do they add anything other than looks? Or do they only exist for the sake of it? Why would someone build a simple block of offices with reinforced metal shells in all kinds of angles if one can simply build a concrete element building?

I won’t say: Get rid off all the future stuff. No that’s not it. But things have to be carefully thought-out. Details don’t have to be added through all kinds of different screws and metal surfaces, but through details such as signage, filigree handrails, staircases where required, emergency exits and so on – things that make sense and serve a purpose, eventually based on present design. Then add what could be the next logical step these designs could extend to.

And at all times: Remember which scale you’re at! I can see why racing games tend to scale up the details so the player can see them. But really, it’s not always about what one can see, but what one can gather an impression of. Old games – due to their lack of texture resolution – often had to get their overall „feel“ right. If something had to feel like concrete or metal, all these precious pixels were devoted to transport this exact impression and nothing else. No need for giant screws.

I hope this does not sound like a rant or something. It’s just my impression of where (near future) Sci-Fi has been going lately, or stuck, really. Even though this is my first comment in this thread and it may sound a little harsh, I’ve read this thread on a regular basis and I have huge respect for what you guys have been doing so far

And, by the way, I would love a dark and moody feeling to it. But that’s more of a question of principle, isn’t it?

* original Sources (1) (2)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sausehuhn; 17th November 2014 at 09:38 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

"Feel it, not see it." right? ^^

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    tm.mordred

If the Kickstarter gets enough funding I hope that a Vita port would not be out of the equation. I'm getting quite sick of seeing nothing but abstract indie stuff that makes minimal use of the system's horsepower. It's like driving a Ferrari in a school zone. This game could potentially be something huge for Vita racer fans.

Secondly, regarding the aesthetic of the game, I think that something similar to WipEout Pulse would be good: a shiny, beautiful world on the surface masking something dark and twisted. Compare the beautiful track landscapes with their descriptions: De Konstruct twisting through a gorgeous Art Deco city founded on the ruins of Geneva. The entire city of Nova Scotia abandoned after a plague in Basilico. A hydroponic farm drying up and rendered useless in Tech De Ra. And we can't forget about the glaciers of Greenland being intentionally melted to construct beautiful structures housing Brave New World-style eugenics centers in Platinum Rush.

As painful as it is to say this, the perfectly utopian visions of the future are a thing of the past, and grimdark cyberpunk is an extremely overused relic from the 90s.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

the future is dystopian.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    tm.mordred

Quote Originally Posted by terra-wrists View Post
    the future is dystopian.
    well aren't you a little ray of sunshine

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

Orwelian sunshine, maybe

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Guys, please bear in mind that Formula Fusion has a full forum in its name. For any future topical discussions, please start new topics rather than pile them all into this one

Cheers

PSN ID
    Marysh24

Well guys, what I have to say...nothing! You all lefted me as speechless! I agrees with you all guys!

I only have to say something to You, R8 Depelovers, please PLEASE let this game don't ruin the good memories of this wonderful Game Serie! Would be great that really something in this game will reflect, also a tiny part, WipEout!
    Not just the Weapons and the world in a near or quite far Future, do something that will make us feel and say "Yes! They are indeed alive!". I don't know how to explain this exactly but... there was indeed something so special that shine the world of WipEout you created, could be the plots in Teams, Traks and even People involved, Pilots or no, little funny jokes in the descriptions of the games, the cute or interesting Sponsors, the amazing feels in the traks... the infamous antagonists! My God that! Who imagined antagonists in an Arcade Sci-Fi Racing game at all?
    So please, again, keep the promises of that
    "WE. ARE. ALIVE. ".

My very best wishes!
    Sara.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

I had paid the Gold R8 package today, officially I`m in!

stevie

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by TM.Mordred View Post
    If the Kickstarter gets enough funding I hope that a Vita port would not be out of the equation. I'm getting quite sick of seeing nothing but abstract indie stuff that makes minimal use of the system's horsepower. It's like driving a Ferrari in a school zone. This game could potentially be something huge for Vita racer fans.
    I dont know man, I'm not sure the vita will be able to handle it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Am I allowed to ask, what the setting of the game is?
    I'm assuming it is not related to the WipEout universe.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    tm.mordred

Quote Originally Posted by zteven3000 View Post
    I dont know man, I'm not sure the vita will be able to handle it.
    I'm sure they'll have to tone down the graphics a lot, but if the Vita could handle a port of HD/Fury, I'm sure it could handle a port of Formula Fusion.
    I never had the chance to play the PS3 version of HD/Fury, but judging by the Vita gameplay most of what they did was reduce the quality of the shadows and slightly decrease the sharpness of the models and textures.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Quote Originally Posted by TM.Mordred View Post
    I'm sure they'll have to tone down the graphics a lot, but if the Vita could handle a port of HD/Fury, I'm sure it could handle a port of Formula Fusion.
    The Vita couldn't handle that "port" of HD/Fury.

I never had the chance to play the PS3 version of HD/Fury, but judging by the Vita gameplay most of what they did was reduce the quality of the shadows and slightly decrease the sharpness of the models and textures.
    Yeah, yeah, shadows and textures, that's all... and about 3/4 of the resolution chopped off... and about 3/4 of the framerate cut off... and 99% of the player's ability to play the game simply not existing with the controls the Vita provides. That's all. Only that stuff. Yeah.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Ace3000_42

I'm assuming that this is the general thread, so let me say you guys now have an article about this on Kotaku Australia, which is great, as more and more WipEout fans will know about this series and that WipEout never really died with Studio Liverpool. Keep up the fantastic work!
    Last edited by Ace3000; 23rd May 2015 at 06:43 AM.

Im drive now Formula Fusion from Steam.
    And i musst say;
    The Contender ist fantastics.
    -Physik very good.
    -Grafik the best
    -Ki will often only tree in the aim arrive, the rest be dead

My Buttkicker will not works with the Sound
    from this speedpads(to hight and low)
    and Crash-barriers havent Sound.
    The Buttkicker will to many works with the Engine Sound.
    and rumple ever(to deep and loud)

Can you the sound from Speedpads louder and more deep
    and the Engine low and higher?

The explosion in the speedpad the concept ist fantastics,
    but the Buttkicker have to little deep-frequenz proportion.

PSN ID
    u/EienZero (Reddit) / eien_override#9331 (Discord)

Question What is happening with Pacer?

Is the game still developed/supported for Xbox at all? Is it ever gonna get multi-platform crossplay so we can actually find a player to race with? Is it by any chance ever gonna go to Game Pass so my friends and other people can try it then a tiny more chances to pay it with someone? Is it ever gonna have a custom tournament mode or some way other to play it that the frustrating and boring campaign or quickplay?
    Last edited by EienZero; 10th January 2022 at 07:18 PM. Reason: It just keeps posting a mess out of my actual text, I tried many times, and my text gets cut after just the firs lines!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

There's an easy answer if there ever was one:

NO.

It's dead, mate, sorry.

Festive edition is active once again.
    Still play this game from time to time. Great game. Such a shame!