Thread: Team Reviews: WipEout HD Fury Edition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PSN ID
    ACE-2097

yeah, usually I call her Ica - if people are around, but in private she's Iki-bubu

PSN ID
    UB3R-BR3NDAGE

My feisar will always be known as 'Deliah'.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    theconzio

Assegai FTW!!! (those of you who know me well will hear this all the time xD)

I have always been an Assegai fan since it was introduced in WO3, and have loved the team since.
    However, I did have mixed love for both Assegai and Triakis (being the Australian team), but I later found my joy with the surprises I had with Assegai, and those derp moments due to the very low health pool.

The design for the ship (typically in Pulse and HD) seemed to be most pleasing to my eye, with the blue and bits of yellow.

And for those who have raced me before, I'm sure you've seen my loyalty to the team xD

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Icaras right here, right always. I personally like the HD Icaras, because it looks better (especially the orange/black variant), but it also rolls a little better and feels slightly heavier which helps to maintain a good line.

I definitely agree with Cipher's assessment about how people tend to gravitate towards the Icaras. However, that being said, there are 2 types of Icaras pilots: those who simply look at the speed stat and surmise it is a better handling Piranha, and those pilots that have truly come to understand the craft. Icaras is not an easy ship to "master." The big trade off here is the ship strength for pilots (like myself) that can land just about any barrel roll. I often fly with just over 15% strength, and I have to balance the fragile nature of the craft out by maintaining a solid lead.

In an all Icaras lobby, the pilot of course makes the difference after all. Yes it is overused, but for those that have mastered the style of racing needed to appropriately use the craft to its fullest abilities, there really is no other ship choice. It takes a lot of practice to be able to get to that point though (and the same can be said for any ship really). The fact that all the top records were done by Icaras (save a very few), does tend to support that the Icaras is a bit "overpowered" but once again, it isn't just the ship, a pilot has to know how to use it too.

FEISAR is kind of the same way. I see a lot of n00b pilots that gravitate towards it due to the handling. I consider it an "easy" craft, but also difficult to master. I don't hate FEISAR per se, but I don't use it much, especially on slower speed classes. I guess the difference is that a FEISAR isn't as much of a threat as an Icaras in this sense.

Icaras is pretty tough to use on Phantom due to the poor shield combined with the lack luster acceleration. Handling is important, but you can compensate for that by just having a well practiced line. Still, I prefer a Harimau or AG Systems in Phantom races (TT and SL's are still done with Icaras).

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

Quote Originally Posted by UB3R~JKP View Post
    My feisar will always be known as 'Deliah'.
    I just got that

Lately I've been rocking the piranha online, and I am loving it! It's always nice when you get pilots switching to the piranha because they see it gets good results online - its like a nod of approval.

Bottom line is, the ship makes all the difference if its all you know, but when you know more than one - you start to see "trade offs". For example, piranha handles like a boat, but keeps its top speed for longer than icaras and bounces off walls beautifully - with that in mind, I race differently with it, I throw it violently into and out of turns and use the walls to my advantage (suffers way less wall slow down than other ships, and if the bounce/SS is timed right, keeps a pretty high tops speed through it).

icaras is wonderful, but not as exciting as a piranha now... unless the lobby is full with crazy bastards who can't fly normally because they BR all the time. That's a good thing btw