Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I for one, accept Wipeout Fusion. Thoughts?

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I joined the Fusion acceptors group after seeing this thread - and like most of you, I'm also messing around with emulating it. (Like what kind of PC do you need to have it run decently???)

PS:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruuku View Post
    and some ships completely outclass others.
    That's actually a realistic thing - see real F1 championship.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Ruuku___ (three underscores)

Its a real thing? I was under the impression the FIA introduced regulations so all cars are nearly the same, so power gaps like that couldn't happen.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Nope, the only thing the FIA is doing, is f*cking up the rules with tiny V6 engines (at least they´re faster than last year).

Timezone
    GMT -8

Even though I did rather like Fusion, it was very much a different animal than the others were, and it definitely felt that way too. Though I liked some of the new teams, the ones that had to be lost upset me a mite (see my profile picture.) And two of the things I adored about the series in the first place was that all the teams were more or less balanced and it was personal preference, and that aerial combat was both fun and took a backseat to racing, and those things kinda got thrown out the window. I still find it a damn good racing game that out classes most the stuff that comes out today, but I do find it the second weakest game in the series.

P.S.: Screw that gravity bomb. You had a 50/50 chance of it working, or glitching out and sending you to Firestar.

P.P.S: And isn't saying "weakest WipEout game" like saying "least expensive 50-pound gold brick?"

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Worst WipEout game -> Tenth best game ever

Coincidentally I just play Fusion though^^.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier Racer View Post
    Piranha had a stupid super weapon though, the penetrator (sounds dodgy haha) it does more damage to the bloody Piranha than the ship your attacking! Breaks off the nose and screws up the handling.
    Ironic they give a super weapon based on ramming to the team with the least-massive ships...I found it fun to use nonetheless.

The "Penetrator" super-weapon sounded good on paper (using the craft as an actual weapon), however the autopilot sometimes goes too slow to catch up to the targeted craft.
    Also, I preferred the "Grav Stinger" over the "Gravity Bomb", though I wished they brought back the "Grenades".

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

SLOooow Loadings times, and those total bastard gates that shut suddenly on some tracks were , still are, my biggest gripes with FUSION.
    It up scales to 1080p well [I run a PS2 and a PSP GO! into a surround amp that has video up scaling], even quite enjoyable playing in 3D

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    SLOooow Loadings times, and those total bastard gates that shut suddenly on some tracks were , still are, my biggest gripes with FUSION.
    It up scales to 1080p well [I run a PS2 and a PSP GO! into a surround amp that has video up scaling], even quite enjoyable playing in 3D
    Granted, it's not like the WipEout series NEVER had the loading time problem in previous installments.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Quality takes it's time

I lovehate Fusion.
    I love that it has character, there is so much story behind itt, like in the original wipEout. There are pilots, unlike in 8/10 of the series.
    But I hate how frustrating it can be, either you are a van-Über pilot, or because you try to get gold in the first Auricom Chase-Challenge.
    Back then Fusion was probably a big deal, discussing the usual wipeout stuff, fan discussions about storyline and trivia. Comparing times.
    Maybe instant (hackable) online-rankings make that stuff unpersonal.*
    One of my classmates told be he "used to play an old WipEout PS2 game", I will get him back to that game! NOONE QUITS WIPEOUT!

IF there will be a new WipEout game, I hope it will have character, thats one of the main reasons why I love the first one and Fusion.
    It is just better when you have a concrete name in your head and can swear revenge to Omarr Khumala with his Nitro-Rockets than just thinking "oh, a Goteki eleminated me".

Also I like that AI performance isn't random, in Pure, Pulse, HD/Fury or the original a Feisar can win, in 2097 the results are everytime the same. Butin Fusion it's like motorracing, there are the topteams (Mercedes, Red Bull) like Xios or Piranha, the midfield (Williams, Force India) with Tigron, EGr and Auricom and the backmarkers (Caterham) G-Tech, FEISAR (still a good craft if not piloted by Carlos Beneto #TeamDanny) or (sadly) van-Über.

And the pilot makes a difference, the first pilot is infront of the second one, but anyway Zala Wolff can beat Natasha Belmondo in a battle, the old Songen Grey is usually outperformed by Nami Mishima and both G-Techs are on one level.

I think the other WipEouts are just to clean. Very good games, but without character.

* I was thinking about hosting times for EVERY WipEout, WOZone-exclusive. ^^

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I follow Jonny word by word, but would like to add the often confusing track layout that would kill your lap time if taken a wrong turn at a certain crosspoint.

Quote Originally Posted by miljoneir View Post
    I follow Jonny word by word, but would like to add the often confusing track layout that would kill your lap time if taken a wrong turn at a certain crosspoint.
    Sums up reverse variant of "Cubiss Float Course 2 Reverse" aka "SilverStream Fusion Edition"

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

Paul Chung cyborg FTW... oh those red windows on the maxed out Eg-r looked sick as well, as well as that dead kennedys rip off logo on the wing.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Fireuser1995

My stance for Fusion is neutral at best. When I first played it, there was a bit of con-FUSION (lame pun is lame) going on in my head. "Where's Goteki? Where's Icaras? WHERE'S AG SYSTEMS?!?!?!" I thought. To make me even more stupider, I thought G-Tech was Goteki 45. But, after I read up on the back story, I figured out everything that happened between the events of Wip3out and Fusion. Even though the A.I. is very bloodthirsty, I enjoyed it nonetheless.
    Last edited by ThoughtfulSystem_95; 7th February 2015 at 11:50 PM.

A few miles from Firestar. My adress is 1 Mars St. Mars, ZIP code 11111
    Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    SuperHuman33

I'd like to point out that the theme's of Fusion's story our perfect. A select number of fan's hate Fusion because it completely changes the ideals presented in the previous games, there's too much focus on eliminations, whats left of our favorite teams are overshadowed by new and unfamiliar teams, and the track design is unnecessarily and frustratingly complex. I like to think that Studio Liverpool (after a recent name change, mind you) used these game mechanics to assist in telling the story of the purists fight to regain their sport. It's all symbolic and s**t.

Fusion was part of a bunch of wipeout games that I got after completing the original (my first wipeout), and not only did I discover these frustrations, but I found it to be the most rewarding and developed game of the series, even if it's still the worst. My favorite moment in gaming is actually realizing that the Tibetan monk, who has a vow of non-violence, never gets points for eliminations. I can't think of any other game that goes to that level of detail.

I was thinking of starting a new save. I haven't played it in a long time, as I got much more sucked into wip3out. I never actually finished fusion, I made one save where I used cheats to unlock everything, and one save where I got as far as tigron (I think).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Myima Tsarong never owns points for elemination? Or does she just never eleminates someone?

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Ace3000_42

Myima Tsarong previously piloted craft in the arcane world of Tibetan anti-grav racing, a strange variant on the conventional sport with an emphasis on calmness and non-violence.
    So yeah, I'm guessing she never eliminates anyone.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Think of the innovations though with Fusion. It had the best graphics for the PS2 available at the time (with maybe FFXII as a possible exception). If had a horrid control scheme, that you eventually get used to and almost appreciate. It was the first game in the series to offer multiple different track routes, it had outdoor/offroad, it had and RPG style campaign mode where you earned credits to upgrade ships. It really did have the making of one of the best games in the series. It just fell short primarily on controls. It just didn't feel like a wipeout game. The controls were clunky, horribly unresponsive, and really difficult to master and then go back to a different game in the series.

For what it is worth, it does at least serve as the direct link from the old school games to the current Gen. I don't think anyone would argue that it gave way to a new wipeout experience, despite lacking a certain amount of polish. I personally loved it (despite what I may say on other posts). I thought the single player was superb, and it still offered local couch co-op, which was only the second game in the series to do so (with wip3out being the first). And you have to remember that it was developed in an age where online play was just getting started on the console. People tend to hate it, but I see it as the gateway to HD, Pulse, Pure and Fury. It is an oddball in the family yes, but still the best racing game available on the PS2 in my opinion.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I like this game a lot, it's my favorite tied with pulse, but there are problems. Like I said, the piranha super weapon is !#%$! and I overlap many ships in every race, but I still love it. I don't see what's wrong with the handling, seriously. That one glitch with the AI gravity bomb gets me eliminated almost every time. (probably because I fly a swiftkiller)
    Really all this game needs is more difficulty to impress me.

I'm going to join the fusion accepters group

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

You want this game difficult? Use the Stage 1 van-Über.