Thread: I for one, accept Wipeout Fusion. Thoughts?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Ruuku___ (three underscores)

Default I for one, accept Wipeout Fusion. Thoughts?

Okay, it's time to come out of the proverbial closet.

I like, maybe love, Wipeout Fusion!
    It may not have the best art style, teams or gamemodes, but you have to admit it had interesting concepts.

Ship upgrading kept each team fresh to fly, you could tweak them however you want and the look and feel changed every time you pressed circle and mucked around. The superweapons weren't completely OP like I thought they would be, and I find I actually don't mind some of the ship designs.

I think it actually has a better sense of speed than HD, and its definitely a sight seeing 12 or so engine flare sets all alongside you, it gives you the feeling you aren't alone on the track, these people are chasing you and they want that title!

The tracks at least took some skill for me to learn, like a throwback to the PS1 Wipeouts, I find with the short tracks of the PSP era onwards I am quite quick to adapt, this game gives you a fair bit of challenge remembering when to begin turning in, and where the grav stinger might have been dropped.

And hey, the music wasn't bad either! Smartbomb, Bolt Up, Krushyn, all okay songs. Albeit kinda slow, and there were flunkers in there.

But yes, Fusion did have its flaws, I can't see below me from a huge jump, sometimes the weapons feel like they aren't doing anything ironically, the rubberbanding can get nuts after a while, and there are a fair share of bastard tracks. And of course, a little bit of height variation could have been well received, for now it is just a horizontal Wip3out/2048. The camera angle is a bit stiff, and some ships completely outclass others.

But the some things still irk me though:

I can't emulate it at full speed, I have to underclock PCSX's EE to get it to run, and that induces the interlacing thing

The Auricom in this one isn't the best looking, nor is it the lightest, but I still use it.

The walls are quite sticky, and the freeform sections affect the handling somehow. Do they do this in Wipeout 2048?

And lastly, a huuuuge bug in which a contender's Gravity Bomb may send you FLYING out of the track, although sometimes I do get respite with a reasonable respawn. This may be due to my emulator however.

To prove my point, I have actually bought Wipeout Fusion for Christmas, and I'm eager to play it at full speed alongside my other presents

EDIT: I thought I'd like to mention this is one of the games where I have been eliminated the least. Wipeout HD's Elite AI has a habit of utterly annihilating you with ramming, rockets and general bastardry, Fusion's isn't nearly as violent! although they do have a habit of just appearing in front on you on the finish line.
    Last edited by Ruuku; 14th December 2013 at 11:35 PM.