Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are your Wipeout 3 skills rubbish now thanks to Fusion?

My first topic... :smile:

Mine are and it's annoying. I've only just found this website and all of the times and I want to beat them (especially the W3SE Talon's Reach ones where I'm second), but after playing Fusion for a while my Wipeout 3 skills are worse than they were when I first got the game! The ships feel really jumpy and floaty now.

Anyone else suffering from a similar problem?

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Yeah, I noticed it quite quickly, as I was trying to see the difference in handling between the two. It takes a whole load of laps to get back into the dynamics of Wipeout 3.

I wish they'd based the handling on Fusion on Wipeout 3 instead of 2097, it would have been less of a leap for me.

Welcome to WipeoutZone :smile:

hmm, it is a problem, in fact.. a big problem for me, the amount of time i need for adapting to wo 3 again is too much.. so i think ill never go back to wo3 for more than just nostalgic kicks..

After seeing some of those times on the tables... I forced myself to play it again and I think I've improved.

I now find all of the easy to pilot ships like the Piranha (my absolute favourite) to be too easy to pilot.

Oddly enough the Icarus (one that I ritually hate) seems to suit me quite well...

Must be one of those things.

my skills have ALways been rubbish.

positive atitude, man! thats the key! if that doesnt work, bite your controller to show it who's boss!

funny I stink as well, although I like the handling of fusion(left right turning) better than previous versions. However, in saying that,they could have had the pitch of the ship still go up and down the EXACT same way as all previous wipeouts. It doesn't mean you neccesarily have to have it take off the track all the time, it could be exactly as it is, except it would slow you down a little and give you a higher angle for hitting the walls. While the game as it is does help you make the corner a little better, but it is nowhere near as needed as the previous games, which for me(using it all the time), kinda stinks. Although I have gotten used to it now and am out of my funk, although I still need time to get some good times(as good as lances!) and scores.

My skills are pretty much rubbish, but I can't blame that on Fusion since I live in the US.

I do pretty well on Porta Kora and Stanza Inter (I think I might be the only one who thinks that's one of the best tracks). I only wish there were a way to compete with elimination challanges. I'd rock the house with my unnaturally aggressive stylings! :smile:

Hey Lance, I notice the only capitalized letters in your post are AL. Was that a sly jab at Zoolander? :wink:

On 2002-02-20 04:06, AmishRobot wrote:
    (I think I might be the only one who thinks that's one of the best tracks
    your not alone. stanza inter and manortop are my two favorite tracks in the game.

Yes, this is a well known problem. Wipeout 3 and especially 2097 feel WAY too twitchy and you can't help hitting the walls all the time. It is annoying. But Fusion is so much better, I really can't be arsed to go back to the old ones. I like that they've changed the jumpy and floaty handling. I remember the Quirex being especially bouncy, which bugged the feck out of me.

PSN ID
    ShockrifleUT

What? 2097 Had a twitchy handling???
    In fact Fusion handles veery similar to 2097 (oh man... in fact Tigron (Fusion) and Qirex (2097) almost handle the same) - maybe that's why I learned it wayyy faster than WO3!

And now maybe some people understand why I didn't like the handling in Wip3out - and why it took me so long to get at least average times!

It's a shame that there isn't an Eliminator mode in Fusion. That is by far the best way to learn a track. You can race it over and over again and even if you die you still respawn. I thought it was pretty silly of them to take it out of W3SE.

The handling in Fusion to me is far more drifty and forgiving when you scrape or hit a wall. The only thing I hate is when you hit a sharp corner and it spins you around. It doesn't matter if you are going the other way too! Clip it and your facing the wrong direction.

Still a bloody good game. :smile:

Well, maybe not twitchy, but I still kept hitting the walls. Guess I'm too familiar with the handling in Fusion now.

No eliminator mode? Oh, man... that sucks. With the new emphasis on combat, I find that really surprising. The best way to Zone out on WO3 is to set that to 99 and go for broke. It's too easy though, and I was hoping Fusion would fix that. :sad:

joel and al: LOL

AR/James McV: no, that had nothing to do with al, i just capitalize either syllables or individual letters representing sounds as a way of emphasising them. most people either use bold or italics or caps of the entire word for that purpose. but not mE. Oh no, i have to be diFferent. so i write things like ALways or not Even or no wAy, dude.

but back to the topic, i like the twitchiness and the hardbouncing walls of WO3 precisely because it makes the game difficult. you feel like you've really accomplished something when you do a really good lap. if Fusion has made things too soft and easy on the non-zonemode competitions, then it would be less satisfying for me to drive than wip3out. maybe it gives other thrills that would compensate, but of course i won't know until i get to drive it.

Confusion said: ''Clip it and your facing the wrong direction.''

remember GT [and that godawful test drive 5] spin out into the dirt, bang a wall, and you are ALways facing in the wrong effin direction. it doesnt happen like that in real life, not even in that classic old rear-engine Porsche 356 i owned a long time ago. you would think that the greater mass in the back of the car would make you always end up with the back facing in the direction you were traveling, but nO. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lance on 2002-02-20 20:12 ]</font>

Ok, guys. Fusion is not easy. It is quite challenging actually. It's still annoying to hit the walls, but seeling as how the game is faster (sometimes much faster), I think it is a good thing to not have walls that stop you dead in your track.

Wipeout 3 seems a lot harder to me. The difference between the different ships is much bigger. In WO3 I could only properly handle a couple of the ships, and even then it was only on half of the tracks.

Fusion is much easier. The difference between each ship is much less now. I can handle pretty much any of the ships in the game with relative ease (but I'm still crap around Alca Vexus). Coupled with the fact that you don't slow down much when you hit a wall like you did in WO3, this is by far an easier game.

Dammit I still haven't even unlocked those secret tracks in WO3SE!

You really think WO 3 was harder?
    I can't really remember having to much problems with it(exept for the challenges).
    I have to disagree that the ships were more different to eachother, though. To me, the ships in Fusion have very distinct qualities.

I have to say though, that it seems a shame to try to argue over which WO game is the best/most difficult/fastest since they're ALL so wonderful. I can't really find it my heart to say anything negative about ANY of them. I love them too much.:smile:

WO3 was less forgiving I suppose. You crash you stop dead. WF, you crash you slow down a little but you don't stop dead. Makes for an easier game for me though the character's really make each race feel personal. Sometimes too personal. :smile:

just out of interest did anyone ever find controlling the pirhana in 2097 at phantom difficult? The air brakes were weird with that ship... like they were delayed or something.

In my opinion, the handling of WipeoutFusion is like this wintersport "bobsleight" for collision and "FZero" for AG feeling.

For Wo3 skill, I dont think mine are worse since fusion because I didnt stop to play it.
    I was disapointed by fusion so I tried to look the current arena challenges and I played on again on WO1 and WO3.
    Now I`m playing equal time on WO1,3 and fusion. I think its a good way of getting all the good parts of each games.

I`m not understanding what you wrote Fox : You think that Fusion handling is like wo2097 ? :

Now I`m in Sheffield in England, Do I have better chances for finding rare artefacts like wipoutSE, wipeout Posters or NeGcon ?
    ( Those qwerty keyboards are really hard to use )