Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flashout 3D - WipEout Clone for PC and Mobile devices

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    dreadofmondays

I just dislike flashout in particular. Even on the merits of any game it falls short; it's shouldn't even be considered finished. I read somewhere that if you upload your score to the worldwide boards, your name is listed as 'player'. Just like every other player on the boards, because there is no option to actually change that. This is the kind of stuff that says to me it's flashout is a cash grab.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

I wonder now...Will Sony allow the sale of Studio Liverpool to a private entity? Most of us know that before the studio was acquired by Sony it was Psygnosis,which made WipEout (1) to WipEout 3.

Right now,the other clones/attempts I've come across so far are short of one element that makes up part of a WipEout game:Storyline. I guess that the storyline is not in the attempts probably because of copyright reasons(though as HF said,one clone had a ship that was an Expy of the FX350/400 FEISAR model. Not a really good link,if at all). If there is any application of FanWankium here the attempts/clones are underground leagues. And not-so-good ones at that.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Just tried this Flashout 3D Demo available on appstore on my iPad 3 and....... aaaaaaand i have one thing to say, "wtf i just played on my precious device? This game is so fkd up that even i didn't expect such thing, does it even have something from physics except for shitty collisions? O. o I didn't notice. Before i downloaded it i saw this topic and thought that it can't as bad as u guys say cos reviews says something else but now, well, graphics are noooot baaaad if u don't look at shps but gameplay and the fact that this **** lags on iPad 3 is total b******* imo.

(gotta try to port SlipStream GX for iOS maybe? To rescue this hopeless situation with AG racers on mobile devices... or better not join this iOS fire xd)

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

@zero:I think we should do SSGX (one) first,then when SSGX(two) comes,it has an iOS and Android port :/

SSGX for smartphones? Over my dead body...

Timezone
    GMT -3
    PSN ID
    BrunoGatts

Actually that's not a bad idea, though. Why not?

It's extremely limiting and you're basically trading quality for uncertain public reach, which is never a good idea. Plus why port something that's for PC to a phone? Doesn't make much sense...
    Last edited by Xpand; 11th January 2013 at 03:28 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

I think that the PC and smartphone versions would be different. Completely different. One is more 'sit down for an hour or so',the other is 'pick up and play'. I believe that some veterans have some...'issues' of sorts with WipEout Pulse(like long wait times?).

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    I don't have one at this time.

They forgot Airbrakes.

That ruins the game already.

In my opinion, Airbrakes are one of the best parts about the handling model in WipEout. They are so needed at high speed. I use them all the time.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

I know I'm late to this thread, but I'm kind of split on the issue. While I agree that Flashout blatantly ripped off some of the WipEout ships, the gameplay, as far as weapons and split paths and closed paths that you have to blow open, is much different from WipEout. The tracks are filled with changing colors and wildly different from WipEout. Also, I don't get what the big deal is about the 'Out' part. WipEout doesn't own 'out', so why can't Flashout use it? If you actually play the game, with all the eliminations that happen, I think it's appropriate. It may be a cash grab as well but that doesn't mean it doesn't belong. There are crappy versions of many games out there, and WipEout doesn't own the genre, and AG racing doesn't deserve anything 'better' than any other genre. Look at these words: SL is gone. They are gone and WipEout is gone for the time being and if Sony wanted them there to compete then they would be. The fact is that they're not, so that gives others the right to step in and capitalize no matter what the quality of their game is. Again, I don't like the ship rip offs, but many low budget games aren't rip offs, and deserve to have their chance. I agree strongly with Ricochet that the best way to bring WipEout back is to support the genre itself; if it dies, there will be no incentive to revive it. The whole genre is open now, and anyone has the chance to capitalize off of it. WipEout wasn't some special godly game that deserves special respect and treatment. This is business opening up for others. What I'm saying is live and let live. Play clones if you want to, don't if you don't, but don't go around bashing them ALL as disrespectful and try to boycott them. They have a right to the genre just as much as WipEout did.

I'm not trying to stir any feelings here, and I share the disgust for elements of design that are ripped off from WipEout too. But there are some decent clones out there, that deserve a chance. If you boycott them, ALL of AG racing dies, including WipEout, because SSGX can't carry the whole genre, the genre will be reduced to a single fangame (a pretty frickin awesome fangame though! ) Just please consider what you're doing; don't let the AG racing support forum destroy AG racing itself.

Everyone here at the forum has been warm and kind to a new fellow like me, and I hope this post won't change your feelings, I simply want to see AG racing survive. I love WipEout as much as you do, and long to see it's return in the near future. I'm just stating an opinion here, there is only the deepest respect for SL in my mind.

Until next time,

DDD113

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Flashout is just a bad game though. The handling is uninteresting. It's like steering a weightless hovering puck along an almost flat track. I don't know if there's been better AG racers that came out recently but this one is certainly terrible and not worth anyone's time.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

That all depends on your standards. If you expect everything to be as great as WipEout, you will find no AG racers that you like. Sometimes you just have to take what you get (like in WipEout Fusion) and deal with it. Personally if the game runs and looks decent as Flashout does, then I think it is playable. Basically I'm just trying out any new AG racer I can get my hands on until SSGX comes out, and for the few hours that it lasted, Flashout was entertaining for me.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Your second sentence sums up the problem with most of the AG racers that have been posted here before. IMO only that KOEI Canada game (Can't remember the name right now) had an interesting flight model, but the tracks were otherwise pretty meh, the collisions buggy and the weapons very bland.
    I don't even like WipEout Fusion due to the way the vehicles handle. I did go into it objectively, but it didn't impress me at all. The contrary happened. :/
    I'm not trying to be difficult on purpose, but it's just that I find those games very basic technically, there's not a lot of gameplay to master and so they're boring to me very quickly.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

That's understandable, there are some games that miss a lot of possible features. Fatal Inertia had a lot of potential if the tracks weren't so... interesting. They were really kind of hard to follow. I also agree that the physics on Fusion were way too tight, it's not one of my favorite games. There is a LOT of wasted potential out there, hopefully someone will step up. I also discovered that they are making a sequel to Flashout 3D, called Flashout 2. I watched the trailer, and it doesn't appear to rip off any WipEout ships, and they say it will have a longer campaign. Let's hope they (and others) learn from their mistakes and step up to make enjoyable, unique new AG racers.

Cheers,

DDD113

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    RICHochet

Flashout 3D is just a bad game. Hopefully this sequel you mentioned ends up being better. Also I'm back to say that Repulze started off well, but subsequent updates turned it into a microtransaction spam game. Disappointing.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Yes, the low-budget AG racers do have a long way to go... but on the bright side SlipStream GX is looking great! That's gonna be one fantastic game when they are done with it.

That's right, SlipStream looks fantastic, can't wait to get it when its out!

Anyway there's a new video for Flashout 2, imho should be better than the first game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsXGDwfP7XM

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    dreadofmondays

Hey, idea: Support flashout 2 in the hope they hold themselves to a higher standard

Edit: actually I think they already released, so never mind ......
    Last edited by dreadofmondays; 19th February 2014 at 10:43 PM.

It's not out yet but will be out this month there's also a new vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTN4v12jBsI

Now it's coming to Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=244995815