Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashout 3D - WipEout Clone for PC and Mobile devices

Timezone
    GMT + 3
    PSN ID
    chalovak

Question Flashout 3D - WipEout Clone for PC and Mobile devices

Accidently found this in AppStore, a WipEout-wannabe racing game that some reviewers (I mean buyers) called the closest you'd get to WipEout on iOS.
    flashout3d_4.jpg
    Trailer:

Here is some info:
    Official site
    iTunes Link

I wonder if anyone from the forum has tried it.

Not tried and not willing to pay for it since most comments on the app tend to say the game runs fine on iPhone 5 / iPad 4 (released few weeks ago...) and is unplayable on older (older = 1 year!) generations. Would be curious to try a demo though, but it doesn't seem to have one.
    Last edited by vincoof; 11th December 2012 at 12:18 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 12

Awesome! I'm gonna download this tonight and see what it is like!

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    BulletWraith

I can't find the android version, any idea on a release?

-zershen

Quote Originally Posted by BulletWraith View Post
    I can't find the android version, any idea on a release?
    An announcement has been made for December, with no mention of a specific day.

Hmmm, to be honest it looks like a huge attempt at a rip off, there is being inspired by something and putting your own twist and take on it, and then there is just ripping something off

I'd be surprised if sony dont look closely at this with a view to slapping them, some of the ship designs are blatant rip offs

And yes people can say FZero / Wipeout, but the track design, handling and comabt of those games and the end look, is different, two branches of the same tree. This... well it just looks like a bad rip off.

I'll still get it though

Timezone
    GMT + 3
    PSN ID
    chalovak

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Game feels awkward and raw, things could be done better but were left incomplete.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Any non prerendered footage somewhere? I don't have iThings to try this on.

Timezone
    GMT + 3
    PSN ID
    chalovak

Here's a video review:

Should be enough for a judgement.
    Last edited by chalovak; 9th January 2013 at 05:33 AM.

erf... yet another game controlled by the gyro. This is such a nonsense for this kind of platform. Mobile platforms should never force anyone playing in a specific position.

Timezone
    GMT + 3
    PSN ID
    chalovak

If i'm not mistaken (I don't remember for I've deleted the game ) you can switch between two control modes (gyro and d-pad).
    Last edited by chalovak; 9th January 2013 at 05:53 PM.

Well, I've been biting my tongue HARD on this one for a while now -

In short, the amount of clones and rip-offs following Studio Liverpool's closure is unbelievable.

I am incredibly disappointed and saddened by those being so damn disrespectful to jump on the AG bandwagon, in the wake of what's happened.

Studio Liverpool has barely closed it's doors and the vultures have already taken on us.

I have such respect for WZ and I know you guys have the same for studio Liverpool. If you care about WipEout and it's future, then PLEASE stop publicly backing these awful clones and jeopardizing our community.

Without our community, we have no future.

..and for the record -

If anyone EVER had the right to create another WipEout/Clone other than the ex Studio Liverpool employees themselves, it would be you guys and nobody else.

Slipstream GX is the rightful successor to WipEout in order to continue the legacy.

Nothing else.
    Last edited by Hellfire_WZ; 9th January 2013 at 04:20 PM.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Berry View Post
    ...there is being inspired by something and putting your own twist and take on it, and then there is just ripping something off
    This sums up my feelings on this one perfectly. It's one thing wanting to make a game in the same genre with a similar feel but its own unique style (see Quantum Redshift and Fatal Inertia). It's something else altogether when a game tries to actively imitate another one. This falls into the latter, even down to the name if I were feeling particularly cynical! And the number of games that seem to be doing this since SL's closure is concerning.

Remember what Ami has said on many occasions - the future of the Wipeout francise is still being decided, and the only way we can hope to see the series returning is by supporting it in the way we know how. Jumping onto these clones as a way of "filling in the gap" is likely to have the opposite effect. Also remember that unlike the developers of these clones, the SSGX team are NOT looking to make any money out of this, they are simply trying to keep Wipeout's legacy alive and to provide a game worthy of sitting in the timeline. They have the future of the series at heart, those looking to capitalise on SL's closure by making a quick buck from the ashes do not.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

wow thank you Ami and Hellfire! I think I can speak for the entire team, when I say that it's truly heartwarming and motivating to hear you say that. It's also nice to hear that someone else shares my sentiments about these new "wipeout clones" and also let me say that every single one of them I have tried (most I tried before sl was shut down) have left me feeling cheated because they simply aren't very good.

Timezone
    GMT + 3
    PSN ID
    chalovak

Oh, shoot, now I feel awful.
    I had no intentions to show any kind of disrepsect by creating those two threads about clones, believe me, it's true.
    All I wanted was to show how vain were all those attempts to create something close to WipEout series and that those attempts were out there.
    Nothing can replace WipEout, nothing will be able to (well, except next WipEout, if ever).
    I'm sorry.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    RICHochet

It seems like more of an indistinct line. Is Repulze really a cash grab because SL went under? It's not so obvious. SL has never hinted that they had even the faintest plans to release an AG game on iOS. Even if SL were still around is Repulze really treading on their territory? The game seems similar in many ways but 1. It's on a completely different platform 2. There aren't even any air breaks (a huge part of WipEout).

However, the more important point is simply that SL is gone. If anything games like Repulze are helping the AG racing genre live on. If games like Repulze are successful, Sony may bring back the once great SL and continue the franchise. If these "clones" aren't made and AG racing dies off as a result, you really think that's good for SL or WipEout? Really now?

Competition in any genre is a good thing! Whenever an AG game comes out people are reminded of WipEout (or FZero) and will naturally compare the games. Well, usually the comments I've seen are essentially "not as good as wipeout". These games keep WipEout relevant as a result. It is a golden standard that will continue being brought up as long as AG racers are made, especially if they are WipEout clones/rip-offs. If they continue falling short then Sony will hopefully take notice. If instead AG racers aren't made or we decide to boycott them, then guess what? WipEout WILL DIE.

SSGX is looking great and I'm glad you support it, but I don't see what's wrong with other AG games. For all you know the Repulze devs are huge WipEout fans and want AG racing to live on in the same way the SSGX team does. Now, you could say "oh but they're charging money!" Well guess what? The game costs money to develop too. It's amazing what the SSGX team is doing, but not everyone can be as dedicated and devote that much spare time for completely free.

I should note that Flashout 3D does look like a poorly executed cash grab, but Repulze actually looks like quite a lot of care and attention to detail has went into it.* I wouldn't be surprised at all to discover the devs really care about AG racing. They have some updates lined up. Time will tell if they actually are interested in the future of AG or are just in it for the money. Until then, I'm just happy that AG is still getting attention.

*I haven't actually played it, but I've watched gameplay and it seems miles ahead of Flashout (though maybe that's not saying much). Also keep in mind that I want WipEout back as much as the next person, it's the singular reason I bought a PSP, PS3, and PS Vita. PSP for WipEout Pulse, PS3 for WipEout HD/Fury, PS Vita for 2048. Later I discovered some other games, but WipEout has always been at the core. At the end of the day, these other AG games haven't been able to successfully emulate the WipEout formula, but it is clear that among the trash are some genuine attempts even if they have fallen short.
    Last edited by Richochet; 9th January 2013 at 06:03 PM.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

This is the point I'm making, it's not all of them that the issue relates to. The ones that do try to do something different and make something worthy to take its own place in the genre deserve attention. It's the ones that have clearly only popped up to jump on the bandwagon and rip off Wipeout almost verbatim that are the problem. I've seen a fair few of these now, and the ones I've seen are clearly treading a very fine line between influence and rip-off, and in a lot of cases stepping over the line. One of the first ones appeared on Steam Greenlight (can't remember its name) and aside from the general aesthetic of the game, one of the ship models was almost identical to the FEISAR model in Pure! I haven't heard anything more about that one so whether it didn't make it on Greenlight or Sony stepped in I don't know.

chalovak - Don't worry dude, I know you did so with the best intentions

For me, the games that come out that try something a little different but are futuristic racers, then cool - afterall Wipeout has taken inspiration over the years from Mario Kart, F-Zero, Extreme G amongst others. But you put shows of those games side by side and they all instantly have their own identity.

But Flashout ?
    Event the name shows they are too stupid and lazy to do something original

I'm pleased Sony still take it seriously

Agreed.

Lest we forget that Sony still employ me to take of care WipEout and you guys - The last one left from Studio Liverpool, that alone is something I'm grateful for and honestly, these clones are as big as threat as I posted to us as a community and our future, no matter what platform they are released on.

Believe me. If WipEout is replaced or forgotten because of a clone or any other attempted AG Racer, this is all for nothing.

Please think.
    Last edited by Colonel; 9th January 2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Removed quotation of post above

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Mikahail

Don't worry, Ami ! We think ! (at least, I think.^^)

I think (see what I said ?) this game has almost all of what makes a bad game from what I saw (teaser + review on page 1) :
    -crappy controls (remote control on a tablet *puke*)
    -poor content (DLC am here !)
    -curious graphic design (the cyclone ship seems to be a mash-up of every Qirex ship since 2097, I first thought t was simply the Qirex from WO3)
    -no speed feeling
    -etc...

A bit disappointed because AG Racing deserves much more than clones or half-finished games.