Thread: Help! Returning wipeout fan can't play this game :/

Default Help! Returning wipeout fan can't play this game :/

I'm trying Wipeout Pulse after a long break from Wipeout. Was a huge fan of WO2097 and WO3SE.

I'm using PCSX2 atm. as I'm trying to figure out if emulators are reliable to enjoy the game on my new monitor.. or if I'll have to use another display or some kind of converter with the original hardware.

I'm mentioning the emulator because I'm not sure it's me being just bad at the game or if the controls sensitivity is different?

I use the DPAD controls just like I did in WO3SE. Although the XBOX 360 Controller is far from ideal I can play 2097 and 3SE on ePSXE just fine. Got GOLD on a lot of tracks on first try.

With Pulse, when I turn the ship turns sideways very abruptly. I keep bumping into walls when I try to manage a long corner, where in 3SE I could lightly tap the left/right controls to simulate the analog controls (think you know what I mean?).

Then on the first track there is a rough corner with those yellow neon arrows? I keep bumping into it and can't use the left/right airbrakes to corner like I was used to.

Am I coming into Pulse with the wrong expectations? Are the controls vastly different?

Could somebody maybe confirm that they can play the game just fine on the emulator?

Thing is I could play on the PS2.. but I really want to enjoy the game on my new monitor.. it's a 16:9 format which seems perfect for this game and the inputs are DP or MiniDP :/

Hmm I have the European / PAL version of Wipeout Pulse. When I start the game it asks whether I want to switch to 60 Hz mode. I don't understand that, thought 60 Hz was meant for the NTSC version only?

Anyway if I say NO, then the controls feel more like what they should be. I can take corners more easily, and finally got a Silver on the first track in Easy AI *sigh*... but then the framerate is no longer extra silky smooth.

Anyone have experience with PCSX2? If I wanna proceed with emulation, should I buy the NTSC/USA version of the game?
    Last edited by Hellfire_WZ; 6th October 2012 at 03:47 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5

EDIT: Crap, just reread your post. Do you really not have a vga input? If so you definitely can't hook a PS2 cheaply.

There is no NTSC version, it is PAL only. The 60hz option is for TV's and monitors that support it (including NTSC tv's, which was good for me because I imported it). The controls should be fine, I remember them as similar to Wipeout HD and the psp games.

If your monitor supports sync on green, you can hook up your PS2 directly to it. All you have to do is use GS mode selector to run Wipeout in progressive scan. You'll also need a program called Free MCBoot on your memory card to let you run GS mode selector.

If you monitor doesn't support sync on green, you'll need a component > vga transcoder, which can be had for reasonable prices on ebay these days.

Links to GS mode selector and Free MCboot:

http://psx-scene.com/forums/official...elector-forum/

http://psx-scene.com/forums/official...c-boot-forums/
    Last edited by Pico de Goroh; 6th October 2012 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks.

The thing with VGA is I'd need a further VGA/DVI to DisplayPort I think.

Out of curiosity I found a NTSC BIOS online due to the 60 Hz display option... thought it might change the emulator's internal refresh rate or something like that... it does seem to make the controls more manageable. Could be my imagination and maybe the game's just taking time to get into. It's just really suprising having been fairly proficient at the earlier WipeOut games.

I don't understand the AI settings either. I'm on "Easy" and they're aggressive as can be >_>

Got just one gold atm. Maybe I'm getting old

Quote Originally Posted by Pico de Goroh View Post
    EDIT: Crap, just reread your post. Do you really not have a vga input? If so you definitely can't hook a PS2 cheaply.
    Nope :/

I still have an old BenQ 1280x1024 LCD with DVI I used with a Dreamcast now and then. That's still an option. Dreamcast looks sharp and nice on it but for the PSX I might be better off with ePSXe.

Heck there is a PSX emulator on the Dreamcast, I could insert my original PSX discs in there but I don't think the emulation was very good

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

If you're trying to play the game like W3O, you can't - the handling has changed quite a lot between 3 -> Pulse. In Pulse, the handling is VERY direct and there isn't much 'float'.

Ahh thanks, that's a good way to describe it.

Do you rely on the side step (double tap shoulder buttons) to take corners?

I still don't know if I just suck at the game or if I'm experiencing extremely sensitive controls in PCSX2.

For example, I find it easier to turn with the airbrakes *alone* rather than the DPAD in many low/medium bends.

One a long, light bend, such as the third track where there is a jump and then it climbs and does a long bend to the left, it's very hard to guide the ship accurately with the DPAD and even the airbrakes.

Experienced WipeOut players still play this game with the dpad right? (or negCon maybe on the older titles).
    Last edited by Hellfire_WZ; 15th October 2012 at 05:15 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

I didn't have time to take out the PSP version and compare it, but when I turned my PS2 version of Pulse the other (week?) the dpad input seemed to give a much larger effect on the PS2 version than I recall it doing on the PSP version, wish I knew why and had compared...but that was my thought at the time, if it makes you feel any better faB.

I'm doing better thanks

Finally got a few gold and on second grid. Damn.. I didn't remember I had such a hard time getting into the earlier Wipeouts.

I think I was just really rusty playing MMORPG's .. (wonderful) games like Skyrim are a snooze fest in terms of reaction times required.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Hi faB, I have been playing Pulse a lot on PSP and its worlds apart from the oldskool handling on PS1. Once Pulse came out on PS2 it was a shock, first of all: loading times were double and handling was too sensitive. Were I could do perfect laps real easy on PSP I was getting slammed in every corner on the PS2 version. So it must be the same on PC. So if you want to enjoy a great Wipeout on a big screen, buy a PSP with component cable. Its superb!

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Ice View Post
    I have been playing Pulse a lot on PSP
    Have you been beating my records again?

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Do not worry MSSA! It's around one year now that I played Pulse and even longer ago that I played it to get records! It's ashame the wipeout-game site is down and all our records are lost. Even here at the zone it has been a long time since we could see or enter records

In two weeks I will be playing Pulse again at the EWC6 in Frankfurt. With great friends in ad-hoc mode. That's the best way to play this awesome game.

After the Euro convention I want to organise an adhoc party on PS3 with all DLC tracks in Pulse. I will let you know.

Greetz Mad-Ice

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Mad, I`m looking forward to that adhoc party!

stevie