Thread: Help! Returning wipeout fan can't play this game :/

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Help! Returning wipeout fan can't play this game :/

I'm trying Wipeout Pulse after a long break from Wipeout. Was a huge fan of WO2097 and WO3SE.

I'm using PCSX2 atm. as I'm trying to figure out if emulators are reliable to enjoy the game on my new monitor.. or if I'll have to use another display or some kind of converter with the original hardware.

I'm mentioning the emulator because I'm not sure it's me being just bad at the game or if the controls sensitivity is different?

I use the DPAD controls just like I did in WO3SE. Although the XBOX 360 Controller is far from ideal I can play 2097 and 3SE on ePSXE just fine. Got GOLD on a lot of tracks on first try.

With Pulse, when I turn the ship turns sideways very abruptly. I keep bumping into walls when I try to manage a long corner, where in 3SE I could lightly tap the left/right controls to simulate the analog controls (think you know what I mean?).

Then on the first track there is a rough corner with those yellow neon arrows? I keep bumping into it and can't use the left/right airbrakes to corner like I was used to.

Am I coming into Pulse with the wrong expectations? Are the controls vastly different?

Could somebody maybe confirm that they can play the game just fine on the emulator?

Thing is I could play on the PS2.. but I really want to enjoy the game on my new monitor.. it's a 16:9 format which seems perfect for this game and the inputs are DP or MiniDP :/

Hmm I have the European / PAL version of Wipeout Pulse. When I start the game it asks whether I want to switch to 60 Hz mode. I don't understand that, thought 60 Hz was meant for the NTSC version only?

Anyway if I say NO, then the controls feel more like what they should be. I can take corners more easily, and finally got a Silver on the first track in Easy AI *sigh*... but then the framerate is no longer extra silky smooth.

Anyone have experience with PCSX2? If I wanna proceed with emulation, should I buy the NTSC/USA version of the game?
    Last edited by Hellfire_WZ; 6th October 2012 at 03:47 PM.