Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [PS3] The Last of Us

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Default [PS3] The Last of Us

Naughty Dog. Trailer.

Given what I know of them from Uncharted, this has enormous potential.
    It's obviously using the same technology, so graphics are already kick ass. They're pretty good at making fun stories (If a little trope-ish but then there are none nowadays that aren't) and gameplay, so I really want to see where they go with this new game.
    I like the movie I am Legend (And yes, I know it had nothing to do with the book which I didn't read) despite the critics of the readers and this seems set in a similar ambiance. Nothing revolutionary therefore but still interesting to me.

Anyone else on-board?

I really need to get Uncharted 3 someday. Hey look it's December!

onlykpop is offline OMNIUM - Silver Final winner Rapier Pilot
    Timezone
    GMT -4
    PSN ID
    onlykpop

Wow...

Thanks for posting that video cause you just helped me realize how good that game actually is lol.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

You should try and find the book, it's brilliant, don't let Hollywood mould your perceptions about it though.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

So apparently this has been in development for two years already.

I guess Sony can keep some secrets. Just not about their hardware lawl

Like the article (and comments) notes I hope they'll handle the character interactions well if we have to play both of them (Which I think is a strong possibility given the premise...) No multiplayer so it's all local. Well at least so far as the infos go.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

The cityscape lots very much like the ones from Enslaved -odyssey to the west.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    IoannisVita

This has to be my most anticipated game now.
    I saw the trailer two days ago and I was blown away!

I recently watched the tv series Walking Dead so I'd say that it reminded me of that. Also it reminded me of Silent Hill (in an interview on Ps blog, the creators said that they are focusing on emotional bond and the story between father and daughter) and of course the end is very like playing Enslaved.
    Add to the mix that it has an Ellen Page (my fav actress) character and i couldn't be more happier!

Also judging from the fact that Naughty Dog are the best at taking ideas from other top AAA games and blending them perfectly, I'm 100% positive this will be EPIC and not another typical 'zombie game'.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Surprised nobody has mentioned I Am Legend's look and survival style thematic. Change the lead characters a little and alter the mutant looks and it's a near perfect match. Looks interesting, nonetheless.

PSN ID
    UB3R-BR3NDAGE

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing's happening!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by DreamyElf View Post
    Add to the mix that it has an Ellen Page
    Apparently it's not Ellen Page. Yah, it fooled plenty of people. It says who it is in the second post I made in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by amplificated View Post
    Surprised nobody has mentioned I Am Legend's look and survival style thematic.
    Take me off your ignore list!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Quote Originally Posted by amplificated View Post
    Surprised nobody has mentioned I Am Legend's look and survival style thematic.
    Because I read the book first

@Darkdrium : you should have a look at the book. I think it's the only book in my whole life I read from beginning to the end in a row
    (that would I explain why I was close to shoot myself when I saw the movie )

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    Take me off your ignore list!
    Woops, only glanced through the first post and didn't see it!
    I really should have been more thorough before commenting

As for the book, I've heard it's good (and a lot better than IAL), but I've never gotten around to it... not a big reader, even though I like books

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Lol well I hope you all watched the video, because Viacom copyright claimed it off of Youtube.
    Somehow they think that they have full rights to this trailer because it aired on the Spike VGAs, even though it's a game developed by Sony (Naughty Dog), the trailer was made by Sony, and the game is owned by Sony.

SOPA and Protect-IP are totally good ideas when companies act like that, right? If you are in the United States, please write to your representatives and oppose this bullshit!

In other news, a small PSBlog interview.
    Last edited by Darkdrium777; 14th December 2011 at 04:19 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Archon473

No worries, it's uploaded on Gametrailers. Though now that I've seen it, I have to say...

NO THANK YOU!

I remember during the turn of the millennium when zombie games were an original concept. Resident Evil and Silent Hill had refined survival horror on 3D platforms after kids rolled dice and plotted their own pen-and-paper dungeon romps. Games like They Hunger and Crimsonland took standard game concepts and put a frantic action spin on survival games and horror concepts. There was a spat of generic zombie games that tried to copy They Hunger around 2003 that all failed except Left 4 Dead, which was released years later to much success. Along with the Dawn of the Dead movie remake, the genre had been updated for a new generation and could hold its head high.

But now? Not so much. I Am Legend, Crysis 2, Dead Island, Cawwadooty Zombies, and even my beloved Red Dead Redemption succumbed to the mass-marketing of horror tropes. Boot up XBLA or PSN and look at all the stupid cel-shaded cutesy "Zombie Apocalypse," "Dead Nation," or "Kill Some Zombies Again" as if you haven't played this game ten years ago, when it was fresh, more entertaining, and designed well. Horde/wave gameplay dates back to Smash TV, Starcraft, hell there are abandonware games from the 80s that did it. But I guess people forgot games are only worth playing when they challenge the player and force them to overcome odds or offer fresh experiences. Bram Stoker turned the world on its head when he wrote Dracula; Hammer productions challenged how people believed in monsters once we could see such monsters plaguing society; even Stephen King and plenty of horror screen writers progressed past notions of society against one monster by placing the monster among society, as one of its citizens.

I guess we all forgot about that. I guess all we need is a begrudging dad and his adolescent daughter and some overgrowth on our Camries and mutated cannibals running around and a trite string section accompanying our quest to collect herbs and rags and find our wife? Sure, she's alive, or dead, or we think she's dead but she's still alive so okay let's go look. Take your COD zombie mode and your impossible modern Mad Max scenario and your Zombieland flicks and enjoy; shovel them down your gullet and pretend you're satisfied. Know, however, that should such a scenario befall us, it wouldn't be a week before we all end up like the group brave enough to venture from that haven of a grocery store in The Mist. Except that was based on a Stephen King novel, so of course it turned out well.
    Last edited by Archon; 14th December 2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: qwerty

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Erm... right.

I certainly won't take the fact that it's a well visited genre as enough reason to deny Naughty Dog - one of the most accomplished first party PS3 developers - the chance to have their take on it.

They've bought enough goodwill from me with Resistance: Fall of Man and with how consistently good the Ratchet & Clank games have been over the years.

Probably the first game of 2012 I'm looking forward to, although considering all the games I was looking forward to in 2011 turned out to be, in the main, rubbish, I reserve the right to be disappointed.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Archon473

I play less and less singleplayer, story-driven games nowadays. I always heard older students telling me, "Once you read so many books, it's as if you've read them all." This has sadly begun affecting me. RDR was the only game in the past two years whose story affected me, and it was mainly due to RDR being incredibly faithful to so many classic western movies.

I still need to play the Uncharted games, but I passed on Resistance because I did not care for the shooting. I couldn't tell you about the story. I didn't play many of the R&C games either because after awhile they all felt like the same game. I get that Naughty Dog is accomplished; still, I don't see how they're offering anything new with this game. Everything is looking the same, be it movies, novels, games, or music. I read a review of game reviewing at Insomniac who suggested a 3 tier rating system. 1 is not worth playing, 3 is worth playing, 2 is decent but has been done before and better. Everything keeps ending up a 2 by my scale. Be it games, movies, or music, the only 3s I manage to find have been older products; a band's earlier albums I skipped or a developer's first few games. Believe me, I would prefer The Last of Us to be amazing. The world can only benefit from more great [art/games]. I simply doubt it will turn out that way.

PSN ID
    UB3R-BR3NDAGE

This is probably my 2nd most anticipated game of 2012, SSX takes that.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I do not think this is a game that focuses on the horror aspect, I think this is a game that focuses on the characters and how they survive. Naughty Dog says this game will be story driven and not action driven. In that sense I believe it is quite different than all the recent zombie games you've listed Archon. Much like the movie I am Legend was not horror, this doesn't seem to be horror. At least from this trailer and my impressions of it.
    Another small thing, the zombies are based on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated View Post
    They've bought enough goodwill from me with Resistance: Fall of Man and with how consistently good the Ratchet & Clank games have been over the years.
    RFoM and R&C are by Insomniac, not Naughty Dog. I can see why there would be confusion as both studios are friends and share stuff around, plus the games they make are of similar quality.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Hmmm... I knew that - not entirely sure how I got those two confused!

Possibly because I knew they share game engine code base - Jack & Daxter and Rachet & Clank were essentially the same engine with a different skin.

Now that I've realised which of them it is, I'm looking forward to it even more, seing as Resistance went off the boil for me after the first one, but Uncharted has got better.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Archon473

USA Today article:

"We're trying to move the medium of video games into an area elevated in the same manner of respect of film," Balestra says. "We want to redefine what our medium is even called. 'Video game' is not an accurate name anymore. It is not necessarily a game with rules and a winner and a loser. It's an experience."

Full Neogaf post found here.

Guess I can steer clear of this game and developer all together. I won't inundate you guys with my opinions on why this approach will fail, has already failed, and damages video games in the long run.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

I generally agree with your points, Archon. As far as games these days go though, it looks about as interesting as it gets

I hate how games are now interactive movies or full of anti-game content that continually attempts to justify the "game's" existence, sometimes as "art" (what a joke)... it's never worked for me. Not only that, but companies are copying successful models like CoD which offer absolutely nothing of actual value - it's all nonsense and terrible gameplay with a hefty price tag attached to the supposed aesthetic.

TLoU unfortunately seems to be heading in the same direction. I really can't see these two characters "surviving", they're going to be playing a narrative note for note.

And getting a little off topic...
    It's why I pretty much only play multiplayer games these days. WipEout is the only real game I come back to to play single player (speed lap, etc.), and such skill based games are very, very rare these days.
    Even series' that used to be good have imploded into themselves; e.g. Crysis and Devil May Cry, of which the latest and incoming releases have annihilated all sense on misguided fundamental conceptions. Crysis 2 is now a corridor shooter and "dMc" is a D- or C-grade movie. Who the hell asked for that!?