Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HDTV that's PAL and NTSC capable?

I have had two Samsung LCD HDTV's and neither could correctly handle NTSC.

My old set, a 32" LCD, would flicker wildly for anything between 5 seconds and a minute, before it would eventually settle and display an NTSC signal. I sold that a while ago and put the money toward a new 40" LCD set (still very much a budget set, I should add). This one displays NTSC almost correctly. Full screen, full colour, but the top third of the screen flickers from side to side. Not wildly, only a few pixels, but enough to notice, and enough to be distracting.

The problem persists even after a firmware update.

I would be interested to hear if all Samsungs have problems with NTSC or if I have just been unlucky. My depressingly limited budget will not allow for another set upgrade for at least a couple of years, but when the time comes I would prefer to get another Samsung, so hopefully not all of their sets have the same issues.
    Last edited by s0mmieUK; 5th September 2011 at 06:24 PM.

My dynex didn't say anything about pal or 576 either. Great conversation with the salesman. Those types of questions make the temp rise quickly. I remember testing mine very fast before I was asked not to test anymore (which didn't happen, but I wanted to make sure)

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

LCD/LED TV's refresh side to side, unlike old CRT displays which refreshed top to bottom.
    The flickering you are suffering on your Samsung could be caused by a few things.
    1] A lose signal cable at either source or TV end, or having a power cable touching the same cable causing interference.
    2]Having a fridge or washing machine in the same circuit as the TV,[TEST] try an extension lead from a different power point in the house to the TV.
    3] Having the brightness [and sharpness-should be set to min if not off] turned up too high on the set, which strains the TV's high frequency power supply causing a unstable picture.[Doing the same thing on a CRT TV causes straight lines to appear bent]
    4] The voltage going to your TV is considerably lower than it should be [this voltage drop happens at the times when people get up in the morning and turn their appliances on, and again when they get home from work], always use a surge suppressor as they tend to smooth the power going to the TV as the power companies turn on/off generators to the grid as the demand warrants.
    Some areas power cabling that haven't been up-kept as well as they should by power companies suffer this more than others.
    Having old [40's-50's or older] house wiring can cause large voltage loss as well.