Thread: this music in a cart!...... how?

Default this music in a cart!...... how?

i was wondering if enyone knew how they got these songs into a cart?
    its the only game i have with 'proper' music in it on the N64

Timezone
    GMT + 2

umm , they're definitely not wave format or sth..I think they're something like computer MIDI sequence - one beat or sound played many times in the song . If You've played Unreal , or Unreal Tournament 1 the music there is actually in MIDI files - like(I think )in wipeout64

PSN ID
    Thorinx

those music files are called "modules" and i think theyre more popular than you can think of. they are somehow like "midi" files - many samples which are played very often to form a "music". famous formats are IT/S3M (Impulse Tracker) and MODs. winamp is able to play all of them - and mator was rite: if you look at the filesize of one of UNREALs umx-files youll findout that theyre very low. (you can open them in the unreal editor and export them as S3M - which can be played by winamp).

how to get music in a module is not possible in this way - you can only "compose" and build up a module - you cannot take a final music tune and "convert" it into a mod. of course, there are tools out there which do this (they split the sounds into samples to make it mod-able), but the resulting filesize is much too high - which kills the sense of a module.

because of this sample-character the mod-files dont need much space (even less than an mp3). but as i said - its limited due to the not-convertable-character

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    SpaceboyG

Of course this will date me, but it's a good history lesson to skool all these h4xx0rs on this board.

MODs were the music files I used to download on BBSes. It was great to listen to New Order, Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode and other synth bands on your computer speakers with a MOD player. Some of them even had visuals. Way before MP3.

Oh the days.

spaceboy gajo

i think they used mp3 format

just like they did for comker's bad fur day on the N64

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboy Gajo
    Of course this will date me, but it's a good history lesson to skool all these h4xx0rs on this board.

MODs were the music files I used to download on BBSes. It was great to listen to New Order, Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode and other synth bands on your computer speakers with a MOD player. Some of them even had visuals. Way before MP3.

Oh the days.

spaceboy gajo
    Yeah, MODs were the ****. They still are, the FastTrakker and XM Tracker are still alive and kicking. Alot of demo scene/trainer groups still use modules becuase of their MP3 like quality but midi file size.

A MODule has sound that are then played like instruments to make music. So it's like having a single piano or bass hit and then playing that one note at different tones/octaves.

They actually started with Amigas, but now I'm just being a dork.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

parts of the amiga lemmings soundtrack were AWESOME, if what I read elsewhere on here was correct; we can thank CoLD SToRAGE for that
    it's a pity kosmic.org has more or less dried up

PSN ID
    o_fluff

I have the midis to all of the lemmings soundrack. The actual ones off the pc game disk.

I'm not sure Tim would be too happy if I put them up for download.

Hanging in the air in the same way bricks don't

I read somewhere that they are compressed audio files, hence the load times while it decompresses the music.