Thread: What LCD for WOHD?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

Default What LCD for WOHD?

Well, WOHD has been around for quite some time now and I want to jump the bandwagon too, at last.
    I don't own a TV nor a PS3 yet, but plan on buying both...obviously.

The Samsung LE40C530 caught my eye but I wanted to know if anybody has any experience with that model? Or if there is such a thing as "best suited for gaming"-TV for playing WOHD. I don't want to buy a TV for gaming (I don't need it for anything else, I don't watch TV, movies or anything, just wanna play PS3, in particular WOHD) and experience loads of input lag or bad picture quality.
    So, what is the general consensus on LCD TVs for WOHD?

Thanks in advance

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Any modern LCD from a reputable brand will deliver equally adequate performance for gaming. Response times are all about the same, and input lag should not be a problem at all. Those are the only variables worth considering for game performance, and from the sounds of things, the picture quality for the TV is above average.

tl;dr: You shouldn't have any problems with the LE40C530.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

Thank you for your input.
    The price on that Samsung model is obviously pretty tempting. Still, I read so much about bad panels assembled in lower priced TVs, that I'm not 100% sure.
    You tell me input lag shouldn't be a problem, yet all trustworthy reviews (like AVreviews.com or HDTVreviews.co.uk) dedicate whole sections on reviewed panels' performance whilst gaming, and put their focus especially on input lag! Or are we speaking of numbers in the ms only technical devices could measure and are non-existant to the human eye?
    I couldn't find a review on that particular model other than amateurs describing their experience in online shops or on price-comparing sites, that's why I hoped someone actually owns this TV

Oh, and it doesn't necessarily have to be this model! I just want a good TV. Recommendations?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Quote Originally Posted by phl0w
    Still, I read so much about bad panels assembled in lower priced TVs,
    Quote Originally Posted by amplificated View Post
    Any modern LCD from a reputable brand will deliver equally adequate performance for gaming
    Samsung is a reputable brand, and the LE40C530 is a modern TV.

As for recommendations, I think shopping around and getting a good idea of what TV's in your price range look like in person is the best way to go. You're the one that's going to be living with it.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

You just don't want 200hz refresh rate, Motionflow or whatever else they are calling these interpolating screens, they are useless for gaming.
    Well that's unless you turn that function off, then why bother getting it?

A few [2 or 3] guys have reported problems with LED TV's, one French pilot [name escapes me atm] gave up playing HD because of it.
    If this was a problem with his PS3 or TV's settings, cabling, extra processing from going through a surround amp, nobody knows as he never reported on any of that stuff.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ONlocke

Samsung is a good brand, and LCD is a well tested technology. Works great for gaming.

LED however, I have heard is not. Not yet at least.. Many LED TV's still have the problem of input lag, as previously metioned. Hopefully that will disappear over time. But right now, if it's for gaming, LCD is what to go for!

I know many people that own Samsungs, and they look great! Just remember to turn off any picture enhancing features when gaming. Some of my friends played guitar hero on that! The delay gets plain awful.

Otherwise I have some good experience with Panasonics Viera plasmas. They are pretty good for gaming also.

Me myself own a Sony Bravia LCD, and I can warmly recommend that too. The model is KDL-52W5500, and it's a beast!

well im eagerly awaiting my tv delivery, ordered this tv last night for 851
    Samsung LE40C750 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 200Hz Motion Plus Allshare 3D Ready Internet LCD TV with Freeview HD

was that or plasma samsung for 1200 but i didnt want to get that much into debt amazon, hurry up citylink, ive been waiting like a kid at xmas

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    dobyblue

Make sure and turn that awful motion flow to "OFF".
    It introduces artifacts. You're better off with a little loss of motion resolution which is typical with LCD's than motion artifacting.

My 2 cents.

LCD = crap

Plasma = quality.

the marketing ploys, gimmicks and trickery are winning over the ignorant tho.
    LCD's outsell Plasmas. But if you want true quality gaming you cant beat a full HD plasma.

and no not even the "LED" lcds are better than a quality plasma.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ONlocke

Quote Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Make sure and turn that awful motion flow to "OFF".
    It introduces artifacts. You're better off with a little loss of motion resolution which is typical with LCD's than motion artifacting.
    It's not the artifacts it causes that's the problem, it's the delay the feature itself introduces.

Other than that, "motionflow" is a pretty good feature, for sports broadcasts, and when you want a more smooth movie feel.

Anyways back to topic.

I have been sceptic to plasmas for one reason, input lag(as mentioned before). I have tried a few plasmas. The best one was clearly panasonics TV, "Viera" something, it was called.

Tried a phillips as well, but boy, that was unplayable. The delay was significant! Now, I'm not sure if there were any picture enhancing settings turned to on. I suspect there might have been.

I have tried another one too,. but can't remember what brand and model. **** aswell.

That is just my experience with plasmas. Maybe I was just unlucky with the models I tried, and the settings?