Page 62 of 179 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112162 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 3564

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

Malton (between Brampton and Mississauga. Literally) ,Ontario,Canada
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

How the zombie ships are eating your shields and how you can't pass by.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

About 10 seconds to completely destroy your ship when colliding constantly. When I time it right I can pass them so I didn't make it impossible to win.

Just come across some code which has made my life a lot easier! It checks the magnitude of collisions, so if a ship hits anything I can see how 'hard' the collision was (ships, walls...anything!!). My weapons scripts automatically deplete the energy property of the target object hit so that is handled too. The only problem I have is that only the parent object registers hits, so children act as ghosts.

zero3growlithe> sounds cool! I take it the other ships lose energy too in the collision? Get a shield power up and slam into them!

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

zero3growlithe> sounds cool! I take it the other ships lose energy too in the collision? Get a shield power up and slam into them!
    They don't lose energy for now but it's just adding one line to my code so no problem, but this line gave me new idea. How about making something like powerful sideshift? Double tap sideshift button, hold it to charge and slam! If only I would be able to make online play it would be awesome to get rid of your opponent when head-to-head on wep off race.
    (the only thing I dislike right now is that on keyboard controlling my ship now is pain in a**, so I'll start mapping controls to my PS3 controller. For those who don't own one I'll leave controll mapping enabled in script [input options when opening up the game])

Sounds similar to the F-Zero X spin attack- very handy!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Just came out the shower and had a "eureka!" moment.

How about level of simulation?
    (I. damage only to shields, dumping weapon gives you shield energy. (basic WipEout)

II. damage done to shields first then armor, pits must be used to "cool" engines and regenerate shields (heat levels do not damage shields). (amateur WipEout)

III. full racing sim, batteries for engines and weapons must be recharged. Overheating, shield failures, weapon malfunction, battery overloads, is possible. Damage is done to shields and armor at the same time (shield - 60% damage to armor). Recharge lanes are activated (across pit lanes). Heat levels damage shields. Low shields = lower speeds. Possible engine failure from direct weapon impact to thruster. Once shields are "offline" they never restart (shields low -> shields critical -> shields fail -> shields offline). (FX-150 amateur league complete simulation)

I know it might be... impossible to get it like this, but I just wanted to share.

P.S. Thanks for Python tuts Aspect.
    Last edited by feisar rocket; 27th January 2012 at 02:01 AM.

Some interesting ideas feisar rocket- I don't know if this would suit a 3 lap race, you may have to increase the race distances to make these features more meaningful, plus it would be a challenge to balance the gameplay.

Not impossible though.....

PSN ID
    Killercrusher232

This could be where endurance and speedway races could have a part

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

I remember having a super speedway track made with twisted wires.
    Plan View
    Side View

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Damn, forgot about it...

I see, Aspect. I even drew a HUD at school today

Quote Originally Posted by feisar rocket View Post
    Just came out the shower and had a "eureka!" moment.

How about level of simulation?
    (I. damage only to shields, dumping weapon gives you shield energy. (basic WipEout)

II. damage done to shields first then armor, pits must be used to "cool" engines and regenerate shields (heat levels do not damage shields). (amateur WipEout)

III. full racing sim, batteries for engines and weapons must be recharged. Overheating, shield failures, weapon malfunction, battery overloads, is possible. Damage is done to shields and armor at the same time (shield - 60% damage to armor). Recharge lanes are activated (across pit lanes). Heat levels damage shields. Low shields = lower speeds. Possible engine failure from direct weapon impact to thruster. Once shields are "offline" they never restart (shields low -> shields critical -> shields fail -> shields offline). (FX-150 amateur league complete simulation)

I know it might be... impossible to get it like this, but I just wanted to share.

P.S. Thanks for Python tuts Aspect.

I like the full-sim idea... The number of variables would be immense, but I'm starting to get a look at Java scripts for Unity, next wednesday I'll be working on this at 100%!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Learn that Java... maybe even drink some

I gotta get bitten by Python, I got nothing... stuck. By Xpand learns Java, I'll learn Python.

Timezone
    GMT + 12

anything i can do?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Well Bom, help me with a HUD, track, and ship discription. Is that good?

Quote Originally Posted by feisar rocket View Post
    Learn that Java... maybe even drink some

I gotta get bitten by Python, I got nothing... stuck. By Xpand learns Java, I'll learn Python.
    Unity supports python? I never saw that anywhere...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

I'm not sure if Unity has Python support. I was talking about Blender.

Hey, what's the ships dimensions have to be?

Well, I've been making mine in real-world realistic sizes: from 10 to 20 meters in length, 6 to 12 meters in width and 2-4 meters in height.... Those are the average measures of a fighter aircraft, which I reckon the AG-ships must be around the same size... I usually use a human analog: a line with 1.6-1.7 meters just to get a feeling of how big the ship will be in comparison to the pilot... I usually do that while still on the drawing board, in scale obviously, but in the 3D it's all real size...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Ah thanks Xpand!

I think Unity uses Boo (similar to Python), Java and C#. Zero will have the definitive answer as he is currently the UnityMasterâ„¢

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Ha ha, Unity master xD
    And yeah, C#, JavaScript and Boo are used. JavaScript is good but it doesn't have the possibility to access external files so I have to add C# to my learning list No idea about Boo.
    btw. I've divided Xpand's track on two objects and I can detect whether I'm hitting wall/track so now falling of the track is... IMPOSSIBLE, BWAHAHAHA!
    EDIT: New track: Up View | Perspective (I'll make better texture...)
    btw. If it reminds you something then know it wasn't on purpose
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 28th January 2012 at 08:54 PM.