Page 36 of 179 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

But you can later convert it to mesh and using plug-in called "Reduce mesh" do what it is supposed to do, that is reduce poligons if you need when you don't reduce it during converting, but it is rather silly plug-in as it's reducing abilities is... bad. That's why my tracks are simple to make my hand work reduced to minimum and to make them less resource hungry I've uploaded Alphard someday so why don't you check my poligon work
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 19th July 2011 at 09:34 PM.

feisar rocket> For me at least, each weapon has an independent power supply or magazine. Once its depleted the weapon or device is useless, but you can 'drop' the weapon and it will act like an obstacle as it falls.

Also, unless the player has a shield device in their weapon slot, each ship uses its armour and structure rating for combat. I am looking into having destructible ships, with armour being destroyed first and the ship exploding if the 'engine/core' is hit. Weapons can be hit too- some weapons have fuel tanks that explode when struck. This may be a good way for smaller ships to deal with bigger ones.

What I want is to make weapons and devices to play a more central role and make them special, and make the player make more tactical choices.

And fire away with logic problems- I can probably help you with most things.

zero3growlithe> Rhino is rubbish for low polygon work. Stick with Maya, 3DSMax or Blender. And I'm glad you are getting on with Unity, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Small update: polished the charging code some more, so now the player can tap the fire key for a regular shot, or hold it down to charge the laser. I've also rigged some output text for "charging', "firing charge shot" etc.
    Last edited by Rotational_aspect; 21st July 2011 at 11:47 AM.

Malton (between Brampton and Mississauga. Literally) ,Ontario,Canada
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Everything! I understand a few (ray, radar) but... thats not enough...

I like the fact you can dump but armor? How do you repair? With batteries, have recharge strips. The ship uses batteries as fuel. Run out of juice, you just stop and use a e-pack(If you have it), get 25% more batt.

Shields low, batt low. What do you choose. Battery? Don't crash. Shields? You better hyperboost.

Three things, shield, fuel, ammo... things got interesting!
    Last edited by feisar rocket; 21st July 2011 at 12:21 PM.

feisar rocket:

For a bit of logic education go here: http://www.tutorialsforblender3d.com...gicBricks.html - some things are out of date (for 2.49b) but most is OK to use. Once you are familiar with what tools you have it becomes easier to break down problems.

BTW this website also has tutorials too- go explore!

For a good help forum go here: http://blenderartists.org/forum/foru...and-Discussion

And play! Do what I am doing: I break down each task or ability I need and work on them individually- keep on refining them and you will get there!

Blender is not perfect but the current system allows you to prototype stuff very quickly- try to think of your problem as logic blocks, break it down and try it! You lose nothing for trying, and since its visual you can see what is working.

I started out with nothing too, best advice- keep at it!

Re game mechanics:

Armour is armour. Once its destroyed its gone- this forces the player to be more evasive (thus you must choose- risk the racing line or play safe?).

Weapons have an independent power supply: the trade off is once they have no more energy/ ammo no more weapons. Use them carefully! The more powerful a weapon the less ammo it has.

Ships draw power from a reactor. I am thinking of having another gameplay mechanic for this: imagine a box with a ball inside. If the box is shaken too much the ball touches the outside and boom! Depending on the ship, players must avoid crashing into the track, too harsh a move or being shot or the 'ball' starts to rattle around. This would reward smooth flying. Obviously beginner ships would be forgiving but the more 'pro' ships (which are faster/ weaker etc) would get increasingly more dangerous to fly as a trade off.

Shields only exist as a device like weapons do: i.e. they have to be chosen at the start of a race (so do you choose defensive or offensive kit?) Think of it as another layer of (optional) armour.

I'm still debating with myself about doing the above or having a more traditional charge strategy. What I would like to avoid is the WOHD race leaders absorbing weapons and leaving nothing for the rest, or crazy stunts (like barrel rolls)- an unstable reactor would mean such things would only be possible from a beginner ship.

Also: I want to have visual cues: for example, I am going to have a deployable camera drone for each ship- so you can see if anyone else uses 3rd person or 1st person. Badly damaged ships trail smoke (hopefully)- this can be used as a smokescreen for pursuing ships.

Lastly: weight. Weapons have a weight (mass) value. Larger weapons are therefore heavier and slow you down. Pro players may opt to have no weapon at the start (trading defence/offence for speed), meaning newbies can shoot them down or damage (slow) them. I could complicate things further with having variable ammo loads at the start- i.e. have a good weapon but only have half the ammo (thus having half the weight to carry). This could go for armour, (different types = different weights /damage resistance to certain weapons, e.g. composite armour is best for rockets, ablative for laser etc).

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

Why am I thinking of WipEout Fusion and Fatal Inertia after there was the Very Stable grade ships for beginners and Very Unstable grade ships for experts?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Aspect, I mean fuel for the ship. Have a refuel lane and a pit lane. Also, thanks!

So a good laser shot in the thruster is a insta-kill?

Wait weapon pads activate a onboard weapon and you press "stop firing" and puts away the weapon... untill a laser shot burns it

PSN ID
    apemax18

Hi all. I think this is a great idea. How far have you gotten? I can 3D model and i'm a beginner programmer in C++ so if you need any help.

apemax> hi there, thanks for taking interest! This project (for the most part) is going well- I think everyone is kind of doing it on their own but sharing what we do. I know Xpand is trying to do some C++ programming (and OpenGL), so if you get anywhere, you can PM him or post what you make here. I think you may be interested also in those who are using Unity 3D (which I think uses C++ too).

And we all like pretty pictures- show us some designs!

I myself am sticking to Python/ Blender for now, and doing a project which is WipeOut ish. At the minute I am scripting the code that will run my game.

Yeah show us what you got!
    My programming isn't going well. I'm on the 3D models section too, mostly on ships, but I have a track on the making!

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

@Aspect, No, there is no C++ there... sorry apemax C# and Java Script is used there

Hey, look what I found for blender!
    You'll see how weird this is..

If I can find out how those materials work! Man! That would be a huge step foward in the graphics department!

It opens with 2.49a..

Looks nice, but on my computer (GeForce GTX 460 with a Core 2 Extreme processor) its very choppy.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Jup, it's really hungry for resources (4fps on my netbook XD) Even game with great graphic and shadows i'm learning programming on has 10fps (it's not like i'm programming all time on my netbook Just testing...)
    btw. Aspect, nice equipment you have... my Geforce 7600GS sucks in comparision with yours
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 24th July 2011 at 10:11 PM.

zero3growlithe> Thanks! I decided a while ago to get a decent PC for a change. I did have 2 GeForce 8800 ultras until one broke, and the other got stolen when I took my PC in for an upgrade, so I was given the 460 free ().

And I often use my wifes netbook for Blender- and that is VERY underpowered- it has an Atom processor with intergrated Intel graphics, which took 15 minutes to OPEN the file, and then crash

I just have to go easy on any eye candy when my game comes together!

PSN ID
    apemax18

@Rotational_aspect, Xpand: Hi. I have a idea in mind for a ship i currently have built up in Lego that i plan on making in gmax so i'll post my progress of that. I'm currently learning SDL and openGL too along with C++.

@zero3growlithe: oh well i can always 3D model if anything else. You never know i might even start up a C++ version if someone else doesn't...

Look forward to it. Got any photos of the Lego model? I've seen some amazing Lego work about (just an example) http://www.brothers-brick.com/2011/0...n-angle-a-day/

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Quote Originally Posted by Rotational_aspect View Post
    ...I often use my wifes netbook for Blender- and that is VERY underpowered- it has an Atom processor with intergrated Intel graphics...
    Thats my netbook for ya! Untill I find a prossesor for my chip set, I run things slow without problems.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

@Rotational_Aspect: No worries mate I gonna get this soon (the one with 12 cores that is overpowered but i'm getting ready for future projects And i'm sick of waiting for rendering to finish )

PSN ID
    apemax18

I don't have any pictures of it at the moment (still putting the final touches on it.) but i'll post a picture when i take one. You can also find some of my more recent lego models on my blog here: http://apemaxslegomocs.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by apemax; 26th July 2011 at 12:23 PM.

That costs like £7000, better start saving zero!