Page 30 of 179 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

Can't make much more than a create object actuator when the ship collides with the walls which creates a spark texture... I still have to see if particles work in-game...

Anyways: Here's the 95% completed GX F362:
    Attachment 2472
    Last edited by Xpand; 5th June 2011 at 01:11 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 12

Smile Nice work!!

just a compliment
    sorry I didn't help you guys much back then, I'm back now sooo...
    yeah...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    SomeWhiteNoise

Quote Originally Posted by zero3growlithe View Post
    And, erm... what was his nick...... Slacker How is your work going?
    Been super busy with finals, but school is finally out, so I'm back I guess.

Here's a .dae of my track - the proportions of it aren't there yet, the track textures are mostly random and it's a bit messy. I don't have the skill, time, or patience to really flesh out and finalize it, could someone else here do that? The track's there, you'll just need to make it so it works in game, e.g. smooth it out, make the physics work and the flow happen.

Caldrion II: http://www.mediafire.com/?q74nqshsz3nzd9n

I'm working on another track too. I think you guys will like it.

Quick update- I have a prototype logic brick based 'best lap time' setup. At the minute it is collision based so you could cheat by going backwards but I will think about ways around this. Eventually I would like to move this to Python.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

That's cool With that cheating i think that setting 3 invisible checkpoints on track and make "function that counts laps" true only when those 3 CP will be reached in defined order will fix that problem.
    As for me, i'm making big progress with Maya and guess what i found when i was searching for tutorials Free software (proffesional i guess: look here (i found better movie but i forgot where )) called Unity3D for making games Check it out! I'm gonna learn it after Maya
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 8th June 2011 at 03:07 PM.

I did look into Unity 3d, recently a visual programming 'click together' system has been tested for it but I didnt use it because:

1: The full program (Pro) costs $1500 dollars

2: The free version is restrictive (it lacks features of the Pro version).

Admittedly it has better game features (better lighting, particles etc) but it requires C to really get the most out of it.

So for me at least, Blender is the way (and its free).

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Erm... why take Pro version first off, if we can make game with free version?
    btw. Learning C is not a problem.

Look here to compare: http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses

Lots of features missing that Blender has that would be fiddly to emulate. But its personal choice, I'm only offering my opinion.

On other news, I have a working (Python based) race positon system! The same thing I thought I could never figure out

It works by having each car calculate how far its travelled (using the formula distance = speed x time), this number is then sorted in a list and outputted to a numeric field (Ist, 2nd etc).

Its a basic system (and relies on the player going forwards!) but it works.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Unity does not require C. You can program in any of C#, JavaScript, or Boo, which is a Python derivative. I really recommend Unity, it's a very nice engine. You should come to IRC channel (#unity3d on freenode), there are a few people there who are actually making Wipeout-like games.

Its tempting augur, but there are several features (like render to texture, post processing) that I do need. But thanks for educating me a bit more on Unity: knowledge is power! I do sometimes look at some of the other features of Unity and feel a bit jealous though (Blenders game engine does lack features).

I think when I become a bit better at programming / scripting I may start looking around, I did see a Unity Wipeout hovership demo that was nice. At the minute I do get confused very easily code wise and the Blender logic system is a robust back up that I use a lot. I realise that Unity has this too, but its not as advanced (yet!).

On a side note, this tread is quite interesting as now we will have Blender, Unity and Dark Basic being used....

Timezone
    GMT -5

Why are these features so vital?

GX F362 complete.
    Here's the blend and obj file + texture.
    Attachment 2475

augur> I need render to texture for things like radar, advanced billboards (although an animated texture could do it), and a few other effects that I would like (mirrors etc). Post processing is for things like motion blur, and/ or other visual effects.

The other reason why I cannot use Unity3D is quite simple: I have Linux and not Windows!

Timezone
    GMT -5

Motion blur and Linux are the best reasons you could have. Everything else is unnecessary, premature over reaching.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Yeah... i should have guessed. (a bit of topic: i'm a big enemy of linux... don't ask why (i can say that not becouse of it's do-everything-from-terminal thing))
    It's not working with wine?... hmmm, nevermind. Forget about Unity3D I'll take care of it Let's see what i can do with it...

augur> Remember (or read back about 30 pages) that the game I am making is not a direct copy of Wipeout, and has significant differences.

One of the design goals of (my) project was to push the style to the max since I got fed up of the lazy design in recent games and I thought I could do better (or at the very least do something radically different).

Mini (mini) update: a kind soul has created a method of calculating track distance that takes into account going backwards, so that problem is solved. The only trade-off is that a lower resolution mesh is required underneath the track (due to how it calculates distance).

Nice ship Xpand, btw!

Malton (between Brampton and Mississauga. Literally) ,Ontario,Canada
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Yeah, sorry for not telling you guys... I went to NYC (for a school trip)! I wasn't aloud to carry my netbook so (I got a i3 proccesor and I didn't put it in, yet)... Well, fill me in, what should I do right now that helps? Texture? Track? IDK, yet?

Draw ships (Perspective and/or blueprints plus dimensons (lenght, width and height))! And a lot of them! We will then pick some up to make them in 3D.

Malton (between Brampton and Mississauga. Literally) ,Ontario,Canada
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Quote Originally Posted by Xpand View Post
    Draw ships (Perspective and/or blueprints plus dimensons)
    In S.Up or by hand?