Page 24 of 179 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

Xpand: Post a blend and I will see if I can tweak the handling- since I posted most of the original stuff, I have learned what works and what does not a bit more. It may be a compromise in the end, with changes to the track as well as the handling. But we will see.
    Last edited by Rotational_aspect; 16th April 2011 at 02:32 PM.

I'd like to, but blender is going crazy! I have the 2.49 installed along with the 2.57 and for some reason I can't export nor import the tracks into 2.49. It shows me an error that never appeared when I try to run the import/export script...

Never mind... Gotta try and make it work some other way...
    Last edited by Xpand; 16th April 2011 at 03:04 PM.

Its best to separate out 2.49b and 2.57, or at least have shortcuts for both as opening files confuses the OS as both Blender exes are named the same.

As far as the AI goes, I've had a bit of a mixed bag:

The method that I have got going on works for simple flat tracks- however, since your track is probrably the most complicated it will see I tried it and it doesnt work very well, which is a shame as it should work in theory.

The problem I have is that its a trade off: dynamic/ rigid body gives nice motion but you then need a high friction value to keep ships in check, but when using servo motion it is the opposite: navigation is sharp but no good motion as friction is limited to the direction of travel. The tracks themselves may need special allowances too- tracks too crazy may have to be toned down.

I may have to go back to the drawing board on this one, which is depressing, or at least rework the method- unless someone else has been tinkering around too.

Malton (between Brampton and Mississauga. Literally) ,Ontario,Canada
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

I'm back, who cares?

I'll start messing around with the AI (2.49 or 2.57 Blender?). Mabey I'll be able to modify it...

I can't make my track for some reason. I think it because I can't make the vertices in the line.

Any tips or I should hop on google?

P.S. How far do you guys think we are in this game... Do we need a cover(I alredy drew it)... Eh, mabey we're not "cover" far, just multiple racers far, huh?

PSN ID
    jesse9705

i think we should leave the cover until we have got the game down then we should focus on the marketing design and that

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

I see...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Angry

Aww man! Worst thing happend today, my note/netbook crashed today! Blue screen after Blue screen, talking about different errors each time! I kept trying to recover using "LG Recovery" untill the comp says, " backup.LBI is corrupted. Windows is shutting down", I think thats what it said. My programming went up in flames today!

Oh well, can I get an update on the game so far ? Can't program, so helping on the side lines is the best I can do...

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

How did you wrote that message?

Chances are your work is fine. If you can take out your hard drive and connect it to another PC (you can get special SATA/ATA to USB cables quite cheaply) you can recover your work.

OK, game update. Been fiddling with the AI setup and I've had to make the folowing changes:

Each AI has its own chase target. This was a good move as it means when an AI crashes it doesnt get stuck so much.

Enabling servo motion z and y axis: this allows the AI to follow the curves of the track. It also looks like the ship jumps too.

Added a second property 'time': the AI setup works by detecting when a node is hit. Sometimes a node is hit too many times and gets confused. The timer stops nodes triggering twice in rapid succession, stopping most of these problems.

Reduced damping on material force: allows ships to ride more smoothly and not go through the track.

I made a quick oval track that has a steep hill and a shallow dip, and so far its working OK with 2 AI.
    Last edited by Rotational_aspect; 19th April 2011 at 05:57 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

I always use my psp except for weekends Zero. Aspect thank for update and tip!

Aspect, how did you make the track? Can you tell me? I keep trying with Ortho top view but, I can't make the verticies...

P.S. I'll just try safe mode with command prompt, I'm not a good programmer but, I'm a good hacker (well only for my comp...)
    Last edited by feisar rocket; 19th April 2011 at 07:59 PM.

OK, here is a run through of what I did for my latest track. (BTW this is with Windows, Blender 2.57 and top view).

First, new scene. Delete cube. Create Mesh>Plane. Scale (S) and type 5 (i.e. scale up 5 times). TAB (to edit mode), in the bottom middle there are three icons (vertex, edge, face) select edge, highlight an edge on the plane, press E (extrude), G (grab) and X or Y ( to pull on an axis). To make a corner, highlight edge, press R (rotate) and Z (rotation axis). Keep on using E and R until you have a track. To weld the final vertexes in place, highlight the two vertexes and ALT+M (merge, centre).

You should have a flat track by now. Tou can push up/ down faces using G (grab) to get hills/ furrows. In edit mode, press W > subdivide smooth to get a smoother track. To get track sides, highlight an edge on the SIDE (S) of the track and press SELECT > EDGE LOOP to highlight the touching edges in that loop (should go all round the track) use E (extrude) upward (press Z to constrain axis) and you have a rough but workable track.

I'm in a bit of a hurry so the instructions are a bit direct- but by using the basic skills above, tracks can be made quickly.

The other thing I would mention, does your computers bios work? If so, enable boot from CDROM and try a Live CD of Linux. Live CDs require NO install of anything, and you could attach an external drive to save your work before you reformat (which can be done using a Live CD too!).

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

To begin with, he must download Linux somehow from internet and burn it on CD (through psp i think that's impossible to burn it XD), but it's possible to reinstall windows without deleting anything from hard drive, so why don't you try that? (all files will be moved to "windows.old" folder). While installing there should be some options where you find this option to keep your files (i'm talking about Win XP/7/Vista)

EDIT: I think that i'm making to many things at once , becouse now i'm making ships + tracks designs + Pashtun Wheel + Alphard + my normal work. Here's first ship: Tureis (jup, really colorful and i made it in about 2h )
    EDIT2: Ok, that one was too colorful, so i changed its texture to match ship's style: ATLAS
    EDIT (Round 3... FIGHT!!!) Simple drawings made in my book for learning english Simple
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 20th April 2011 at 08:07 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Thanks Aspect and Zero but, it's a LGX12. I have 2/3 (a C: drive partion) hard disks. Therefore, no CD drive. My net book has XP by;
    Install by other computer then, put HDD into laptop

OR

Install via card reader or USB.

My net/notebook has a Linux based OS installed but, it can't run any programs installed in my Windows OS nor install anything new.
    I'm going to use restore points to go back and avoid the error (safe mode booted up). From there, I'll attemp recover with my backup (backup.LBI)

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Oh, so in safe mode download unetbootin and Linux Netbook Remix, using unet write it on your Pendrive (if you own one). After it's completed, restart computer and while booting press and hold Esc or F11 button to open up boot menu, there you should be able to chose Pendrive. After booting it up, menu will appear with options to: Install linux or LiveCD... hope that helps
    btw. My laptop is Samsung N110 10", and i'm making almost everything on it (i've made those ships), and my Windows 7 with Linux is working really well (even without antivirus )
    EDIT: New ship: Tureis (current version)
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 21st April 2011 at 04:14 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Got it on! I just need to install blender and I'm good to go but, past .blend files deleted...

Back from London! I have a few ships on the making, I'll post them here tomorrow.
    They're a bit basic, kinda Pulse-ish models only for brainstorming.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Xpand, how was it? Did you have fun? Aspect, do you know how to turn the screen? I do. Number pad: 8(orbit up), 4(orbit left), 6(orbit right), 2(orbit down). +Ctrl: 8(pan up), 4(pan left), 6(pan right), 2 (pan down).

Right now I'm working on a track (25% completed) Blender is pretty easy to learn. At first it looked hard, start messin' around and you'll get it. Aspect thanks for saying "...YOU make it, YOU test it..." now I have the skill ! Again, thanks!

P.S. Xpand, I can't wait to see the ships!

It went pretty nicelly!

Now, here's one of them:
    GX F362
    Attachment 2377
    Attachment 2378
    Attachment 2379
    Attachment 2380
    Attachment 2381

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

They look bad... I'm just joking, They look awesome! ! What program Xpand?

Update V.1 (why a version? There will be plenty of updates and I want to stay in order! Don't like it? TOO bad!) Track now crosses at different areas. I also need "pit lane" data. Can I have it please?

I'm having a problem making an upwards spiral. Why you say, because right after coming up, you have to go right down so you'll clear the brige!

I used 3ds max 8.
    I'll post the other two ships tomorrow.