Page 14 of 179 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Can you explain a bit more about what you mean by 'Open World'? That's something I associate more with RPG type games.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Need for Speed Carbon/Most Wanted, Test Drive Unlimited, Burnout Paradise... (something like that) but environment futuristic of course
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 15th January 2011 at 07:59 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Well it certainly sounds very ambitious. That's kind of what I thought you meant, but it's difficult to imagine it, because it would be a bit like F1 cars rolling around on the streets. I'm sure there are ways around that though.

I can't help but feel like initial attempts would be best focussed on something simple though. Things like this tend not to get very far. People will put a lot of effort in individually but without a clear idea on exactly where it's going. Just as a suggestion, the idea sounds cool, but perhaps it's best to take things one thing at a time? I'm not involved so you can feel free to ignore me, I just feel like it would be better for maintaining people's motivation if there could be some kind of early finished product, even just a simple one-track mini-game with basic models that everyone can download and fly around. I'm still not sure I gather from the thread what the initial plan is for the first end product to be here. Has that already been mentioned somewhere?

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Talking

Don't know, but fell the same... where are we going ?

btw. My work won't go to trash if not used in game, it fills my portfolio with months (maybe years) of good job

Well, I was aiming at something like WipE'out". A little bit more simplified, perhaps. The only problem we have right now is making a program that will run the models. Then you just add more stuff. I'm leaving OpenGL and focus on DirectX, due to its simplicity. The only problem I have in my personal life is lack of free time. And the time I have for myself isn't even enough to start the search for DirectX tutorials.

I agree with saturn you are needing a development plan.

As for Direct X...I would be careful if I were you mate, there are dragons lurking there ..even an experienced programmer would have difficulty jumping right into Direct X programming. I would jump on the XNA bandwagon if I were you, free compiler and sdk...and even a racing starter kit!! Great place to start!

You could change the car models and make them float...change the track...your there!!!

PSN ID
    jesse9705

OMG i just came up with a genius idea what if the wipe-out crafts arent really floating like we see in the game they might be standing on an invisible surface and benath that is a ground which makes us think we are floating but we are not so perhaps this can work for our game

I.E

Green=invisible ground it is like a jelly so their is no grinding of the craft
    black=not solid ground but it makes us imagine we float ground

Ship Floats on invisible jelly here
    -----------------------------------

So really the crafts might not be floating and they may use their thrust to push them along however the grounds property makes the invisible ground like a jelly which will allow no grinding of the ship nice idea huh?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    JayMinerFan

Regarding keyboard controls, there's no reason to set them up differently from the console games' controls. Use the arrow keys or WASD in place of a crosspad, with Enter or Escape being the pause menu, and put the thrust and weapon functions on the opposite side of the keyboard, with the left and right brake keys on either side of them. Here's the configuration that I've always used for the PC and emulated versions:

Arrow keys = Pitch and rotation

Left Shift = Left brake

Spacebar = Right brake

X = Thrust

Z = Use weapon

S = Drop weapon

D = Change view

Left Control = Rear view

C = Hyperthrust (in Wipeout 3)

Enter (or, more recently, Right Shift) = Pause

Of course, the keys should be user-definable, and not locked into a predetermined configuration. But I figured that it would be helpful to post a configuration that I find comfortable to use. Arrange your hands on the keyboard to line up with it; it works quite well.
    Last edited by Dan Locke; 16th January 2011 at 05:03 AM.

PSN ID
    jesse9705

Perhaps Someone can like make a modified keyboard for the game?

Quote Originally Posted by jesse9705 View Post
    OMG i just came up with a genius idea what if the wipe-out crafts arent really floating like we see in the game they might be standing on an invisible surface and benath that is a ground which makes us think we are floating but we are not so perhaps this can work for our game

I.E

Green=invisible ground it is like a jelly so their is no grinding of the craft
    black=not solid ground but it makes us imagine we float ground

Ship Floats on invisible jelly here

So really the crafts might not be floating and they may use their thrust to push them along however the grounds property makes the invisible ground like a jelly which will allow no grinding of the ship nice idea huh?
    No... The floating effect is made with auto-playing animations. The ship's physics are just like any other racing game with the difference of having a bit less grip on the track.
    Also, the ships stand higher on the track because the model is positioned above the XoY plane, or the reference datum on the compiler tells the program to place the model a bit higher.

I have the XNA compiler installed. It uses DX too... The only difference is the exported files. I wanted at least the textures to be editable (bmp or tga) and not as XNA texture files...
    Last edited by Xpand; 16th January 2011 at 12:12 PM.

Im not familiar with .dx exported files. I am right in that you build the model with GMAX, export as .dx then import into XNA? Are you using c#? I would like to have a go at getting that working I could give you some help - could you give us more details?

How good would it be when the ship is finally imported and you get it 'floating'

[Edit]

Looks like the way to go is Autodesk .FBX files in XNA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWtKK_0Ytqo
    Last edited by Mu5; 17th January 2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: update

The first program I made in XNA was with a gmax model exported as a DX file. I'm more used to C++... But I guess I could give C# a try... Let me get the time to learn the basics... Right now school is smothering me...

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Yeah, this is hell if you want to do something "more useful" than subjects in school (exept: math, physics, and foreign languages)

btw. I think i have an idea, but when i think more about it, it becomes more "difficult": our ship is 1 model with pivot in center (i guess), if we could add an 1px large ball (with its own pivot) about 2 inches under ship and make them full group... ok, that's stupid idea XD
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 17th January 2011 at 05:12 PM.

And that's supposed to do what?

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Keep the ship high enough to not touch the track (btw. give it a possibility to make "normal" barrel roll; ball itself touch the track) and not to collide with what is "under" the ship so it won't penetrate the track (i said that it was stupid idea so never mind with it)
    Maybe i just shut up and do my work

You could make life easier for yourself by using the Blender physics option fh dist that enables a 'cushion' around/ underneath all models that have it enabled. This would allow floating without the need to relocate a models -x/y co-ordinate. And since it is a setting rather than being fixed it allows the feature to be changed mid game (gravity mine? gravity push? etc etc).

I know people seem to be reluctant to use Blender but it is GPL software and it does all you need. It would also mean eliminating this dependence on old software like GMax which is obsolete and difficult to export from. It also means you will learn a modern 3d program, as the 3DSM interface has changed a great deal (it (GMAX) is already 8 versions old). Lastly with GLSL, what you create in Blender render wise is what you will see in game (90% with a good PC), and Blender is multiplatform, ie Linux, Mac and Windows.

Rant over.

@zero: That is what I've been doing all along. I place the ship a bit higher from the 0 datum and animate the floating effect.
    @Rotational_aspect: I use 3DS Max for the ships now.
    The material fh dist doesn't seem to work... I've tried it multiple times before but I can't get it to work... I tried a force field too, but no luck...

Remember Fh dist has to be enabled on ALL dynamic models, this includes the floor as well as the object that floats on it.

PSN ID
    jesse9705

Soundtracks!

Maybe we can start on those now to?

you know save us a bit of time perhaps

also i thought of a level or place called the garage where you can like Make a custom craft like say you can make a custom paintstyle or somthing like that i made the level all ready all it needs is some textures and some programming
    Last edited by jesse9705; 18th January 2011 at 06:49 AM.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Lightbulb

I exceptionally looked a little on Wipeout Pulse to find out how it is made, found nothing interesting so i looked in internet a little and found an plug-in for PSP that extracts all 3D models that are currently loaded to memory (it has to be run during game) and saves on MS in .3d (program included to convert file to .obj).
    From the exctracted model i found out that the "dynamic HUD" is just transparent surface ahead of our camera with all "goodies" (speed, energy, lap time, etc.) Too bad it don't extracts textures...

Upload an model from Pulse?