Page 83 of 179 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793133 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 3564

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

Quote Originally Posted by Amaroq Dricaldari View Post
    How will Solaris fly? I want their color scheme to be Crimson, Gold, and White. In addition, I want them to play like FEISAR, but with their attributes leaning towards durability and away from thrust (unless poor thrust ruins the point of having high handling).
    Ahem, if your going to demand anything, I suggest you come up with some ideas of your own. We're more or less in need of ideas for tracks and also for adverts to put on said tracks. By the way, the ships I talked about are already modeled and textured and ready to use in the game engine we have...

I ask zero3growlithe to put up a video of the gameplay so you can see it, or just search for Slipstream GX in youtube.

Also there is an actual in-cockpit view in our ships (Or at least in the copy of the game project I have, not sure if zero3growlithe applied that on his). You can see the panels and screens and etc, only they're just white shinny screens, though...
    Last edited by Xpand; 11th May 2012 at 11:23 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Sorry.

No need to appologise. Everyone can contribute and then sort out what ideas are best. It's a community project, so we have to work democraticaly.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Arrow Afterburners

The only idea I can think of right now is a better version of the famous Turbo pickup.

Afterburner:
    - Replaces Turbo
    - Fuel Based; you can use it in small bursts at a time for a continueous and steady speed boost, or you can use it all at once

Basically, it is a more controllable version. By using it in small bursts, you won't go as fast, but it will last longer, and you're less likely to crash into walls and fly off the track. But if you use it all at once, then you can quickly pull ahead of the rest of the pack.

Icon: Combines the WipEout HD icon (two or three upsidedown chevrons) with the Pure icon (the first one is thin, the next one is medium, and the next one is wide). In addition, it would be rotated 45 degrees clockwise.
    In otherwords, it uses Pure's simple method of conveying increased distance and reduced time but combines it with the recognizeable arrows everyone loves.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Lightbulb Afterburner Icon Mockup Finished

I finished prototype of the Afterburner Icon.
    slipstream_gx_afterburner.png
    I used the WipEout Pulse/WipEout HD Turbo Icon as a base, then worked my way up from there. The software used was Paint.NET

The Anti-Aliasing was done simply by doubling the size of the image and then returning it to its original size. Super Sampling was used.
    Please give me feedback, and also keep in mind that it was done in about 5 minutes and I don't have very much skill at image-making.

The image you are about to see is the original WipEout Pulse/ WipEout HD Turbo icon. Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 12th May 2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: added stuff

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Post Yet another wall of text...

If we are in subject of weapons I would like to list my weapon pack: (now where is my notebook for geography... hmmm, ah here xd)
    Weapons:
    1. Tractor Beam (Damage: 5 | 3 Shots | 1 shot loads 2 sec | Secondary Shot Mode : Bounce Laser)
    Avoidable laser which deals small damage.
    2. Rockets (Damage: 8 each | 2 rockets | Secondary Shot Mode : Shot rockets separately)
    3. Missile (Damage: 12 | Secondary Shot Mode : Missile Dash in direction it's facing while flying | Homing Rocket)
    4. Blades (Damage: 10 each | Secondary Shot Mode : Stop Blades Mid-Air)
    Shots 2 blades in this "V" directions which ricochets from walls until they'll destroy
    5. Impulse (No Damage | Force Type | Secondary Shot Mode : Small Speed Boost)
    Sends a strong energy wave which pushes enemies away from ship on certain distance
    6. Cannon (Damage: 1 each | 25 shots | Secondary Shot Mode: Send small flying disk which shots bullets in all directions while flying)
    7. Satellite (Damage: 18 | Ultimate Weapon)
    Satellite locks-on every ship which is further than player's ship and shoots a devastating laser at each found enemy ship
    8. Plasma Bolt (Damage: 25 | Charge Time: 3 sec | Secondary Shot Mode: Shield)

Mines:
    1. Mines (Damage : 5 | Secondary Shot Mode: Convert to Cannon)
    Leaves 5 mines on track
    2. Bomb (Damage: 15 | Secondary Shot Mode: 1 Tractor Beam Convert)
    3. Magnets (No Damage | Secondary Shot Mode: Shot Forward)
    Spreads 3 magnets on track which attaches to enemy ship on contact and slows it down a bit for a while

Assist:
    1. Shield (Lasts: 5 sec)
    2. Boost
    3. Auto-Pilot (Lasts: 3 sec)
    4. Gravitron (Lasts: 5 sec)
    Portable mag-strip, ship holds onto track stronger
    5. Black Matter (Lasts: 5 sec)
    Stronger anti-gravity module, ship is lighter

What do you guys think? Something to add or delete?

@Oryx: As for SSGX site you can add new music to it http://soundcloud.com/zero3growlithe/total-randomizer (I'll just have to cut the beginning and remix it a bit)

About my track, Tristans Inferior I'm not going to put it in-game as it is just pointless to finish it as it is really boring to fly on... some screens of not finished track: here

Weird, your track looks pretty cool to me. I think its only problem is its length, but otherwise it's a pretty good track.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Default General Feedback @zero3growlithe

Quote Originally Posted by zero3growlithe View Post
    [COLOR="#008000"]4. Gravitron (Lasts: 5 sec)
    Portable mag-strip, ship holds onto track stronger
    5. Black Matter (Lasts: 5 sec)
    Stronger anti-gravity module, ship is lighter
    Black Matter should instead be called Inertial Dampener ('Black Matter' implies Dark Matter and Anti-Matter, which seem more like a weapon). And like I said earlier, Turbo (Boost) should be replaced with Afterburner.
    Also, if the Mag-Lock sections are called Mag-Strips, then we can just call the Gravitron a Mobile Mag-Lock Module (MMLM). Gravitron just sounds too much like 80s science fiction, and Graviton particles are used for both Artificial Gravity and Anti-Gravity.

Shots 2 blades in this "V" directions which ricochets from walls until they'll destroy
    In addition, you should say 'shoots' instead of 'shots'. Shot is a noun, and shoot is a verb.
    The Secondary Shot mode should be called either Secondary Fire or Alternate Fire.

Mines:
    1. Mines (Damage : 5 | Secondary Shot Mode: Convert to Cannon)
    Leaves 5 mines on track
    2. Bomb (Damage: 15 | Secondary Shot Mode: 1 Tractor Beam Convert)
    3. Magnets (No Damage | Secondary Shot Mode: Shot Forward)
    Spreads 3 magnets on track which attaches to enemy ship on contact and slows it down a bit for a while
    The Mines category should be renamed the Deployables category, since Mines are already in that section as a weapon and the term 'Mine' implies a trap that blows up. Also, I think magnets should be renamed to Web (based on EVE Onlines Stasis Webifier, an Electronic Warfare weapon that slows down a targeted ship's movement with energy waves). They could be energy bulbbles on the ground that slow you down and can reduce a ship's top speed to one speed class below. Phantom temporaily becomes Rapier, for example. As for ships traveling at Vector, just bring them down to 100 kph (60 mph).

2. Rockets (Damage: 8 each | 2 rockets | Secondary Shot Mode : Shot rockets separately)
    3. Missile (Damage: 12 | Secondary Shot Mode : Missile Dash in direction it's facing while flying | Homing Rocket)
    Read my post on the Weapons thread.

6. Cannon (Damage: 1 each | 25 shots | Secondary Shot Mode: Send small flying disk which shots bullets in all directions while flying)
    It should have thirty rounds, and the rounds should be magnetized to so that they will home in slightly towards the nearest target (it is easy to miss with that weapon). An easier alternative would be to make it a Hit-Scan weapon that bounces off the terrain.

1. Tractor Beam (Damage: 5 | 3 Shots | 1 shot loads 2 sec | Secondary Shot Mode : Bounce Laser)
    Avoidable laser which deals small damage.
    5. Impulse (No Damage | Force Type | Secondary Shot Mode : Small Speed Boost)
    Sends a strong energy wave which pushes enemies away from ship on certain distance
    Impulse doesn't seem like a viable replacement for Quakes (it still needs to do a tiny bit of damage, and 'impulse' implies acting on instinct). And finally, Tractor Beams don't destroy things, they pull things (or push things if you invert the polarity). So a more reasonable usage would be to pull yourself towards an enemy ship (without causing damage) and then use your momentum to slingshot in front of them, and the Alternate Fire could push away everyone behind you.

About my track, Tristans Inferior I'm not going to put it in-game as it is just pointless to finish it as it is really boring to fly on... some screens of not finished track: here
    Dude, I can solve that problem really easily. I will need some time to come up with ideas, but I will make sure it won't be boring. It looks like a very great track. It also seems unique.

P.S.: I sent you a private message. Not sure if you recieved it.

------

@Xpand
    How do you like my Afterburner Icon?
    Hint: Scroll Up
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 13th May 2012 at 08:25 AM.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Woooo, u'r awesome! I already like you Learned something new. You are like an WZ-bot wikipedia xD And I'll try to adapt to your suggestions
    P.S.: I sent you a private message. Not sure if you recieved it.
    Well, now I did, but if you wouldn't have told me I wonder if I would see it as now it's hard to notice those notifications after skin change on WZ xd

Weird, your track looks pretty cool to me. I think its only problem is its length, but otherwise it's a pretty good track.
    @Xpand: If you say so, maybe I'll think of some jumps or something... not mentioning that track is too narrow and trees are too big aaaaaaand other stuff xd
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 12th May 2012 at 08:29 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Bots aren't this smart or this creative. They do have one advantage though; they don't make typos.

(i need a little more powerfull CPU to make an animation, becouse at this time 1 render takes about 2 hours to complete
    Have you tried CUDA and a GTX 560?

------

@Xpand, do you know how to make the illusion of a 3D object in Adobe Illustrator? I have some mild experience, but I'm not very good at it.

The reason I was asking is because I wanted help making a 3D FEISAR logo (as a personal project). If you can make it, then a logo that combines the one from WipEout HD/Pulse with the one from 2048 would be awesome.
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 12th May 2012 at 08:33 PM.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

@Amaroq Dricaldari (this name is so hard to write xd): Where did you take this post from? xd It was like... year ago? Now my PC is something like this: Intel i5 (i2500k), Geforce GT 430 (well...), 8Gb RAM "Corsair" so in comparison with my old junk, hmmmm, grand canyon xD
    btw. Sent you a private message... you noticed?
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 12th May 2012 at 09:10 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I am new to these forums, so I was looking through this thread from beginning to end, and I noticed your post on Page Six (might be page 12 for you, but set it to show 20 posts per page on mine).

Also, you can just call me Amaroq.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaroq Dricaldari View Post
    I finished prototype of the Afterburner Icon.
    slipstream_gx_afterburner.png
    I used the WipEout Pulse/WipEout HD Turbo Icon as a base, then worked my way up from there. The software used was Paint.NET
    Looks nice, but we haven't decided the weapon logos quite yet. We'll keep it as a possible option to work from.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Thank you. The arrows were used because everyone recognizes that as 'Hey! I can go forward really fast now!' while the sizes and density were based on the Turbo icon from WipEout Pure, which was suppossed to convey the concept of increased distance over a reduced period of time. I wonder, do you think I should add lines to it to bring a feeling of nostalgia to people who have seen the Turbo icon in the first WipEout (the icon that looked rather religious).

---

What I have to say about Rockets and Missiles (scroll down to my first post on that thread).
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 12th May 2012 at 10:53 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Lightbulb Ideas on the controls

I have some ideas about the control scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Locke View Post
    Regarding keyboard controls, there's no reason to set them up differently from the console games' controls. Use the arrow keys or WASD in place of a crosspad, with Enter or Escape being the pause menu, and put the thrust and weapon functions on the opposite side of the keyboard, with the left and right brake keys on either side of them. Here's the configuration that I've always used for the PC and emulated versions:

Arrow keys = Pitch and rotation
    Left Shift = Left brake
    Spacebar = Right brake
    X = Thrust
    Z = Use weapon
    S = Drop weapon
    D = Change view
    Left Control = Rear view
    C = Hyperthrust (in Wipeout 3)
    Enter (or, more recently, Right Shift) = Pause

Of course, the keys should be user-definable, and not locked into a predetermined configuration. But I figured that it would be helpful to post a configuration that I find comfortable to use. Arrange your hands on the keyboard to line up with it; it works quite well.
    Better idea:

W: Push nose down
    S: Pull nose up
    A: Left Side Shift
    D: Right Side Shift
    Shift: Accelerate
    Space: Airbrake
    Mouse: Steering/Pitch Control/Aiming
    Left-Click: Use Weapon
    Right-Click: Absorb Weapon
    Q: Mode-specific action
    E: Rear-View
    C: Change Camera Placement
    J: Jump*
    Esc: Pause
    Backspace: Back
    Enter: Select/Post Chat Message
    Y: Open Chat Window (in multiplayer lobbies)
    U: Team Chat
    T: Multiplayer Settings/View Online Friends/View Invitations
    ~ Open Developer Console**
    *this idea has been disputed on the thread "physics of wipeout 2048"
    **used for debugging, using cheats, etcetra

Alternate Control Scheme:

W: Accelerate
    S: Airbrakes/Move Backwards (when not moving forwards)
    A: Steer Left/Side-shift (double-tap)
    D: Steer Right/Side-shift (double-tap)
    Left-Click: Use Weapon
    Right-Click: Absorb Weapon
    Mouse: Control Pitch and Steer Craft

------
    The reason I use the WASD keys is because it is so much easier for me (I play many first person shooters). It is more natural and I can use my right hand for my mouse and not the stupid arrow keys. Also, I suggested the use of the mouse for steering because it is far more precise than a thumbstick, and you can use it to emulate analogue control. Not only that, but it is much ahrder to oversteer when using a high-handling craft such as a FEISAR.

P.S.: What is Hyperthrust?
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 13th May 2012 at 01:45 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

EDIT:I'm NOT used to WASD as main controls. I'm used to Up,Down,Left,Right. And if force feedback is enabled,I suggest that we used a gamepad instead. MUCH more accurate.

Anyone mind a team with airbrakes that have more turning power than normal steering?
    Also,anyone mind a high speed,high stakes Speedway Oval?

Timezone
    GMT -6

Like I said, those were just ideas. Besides, this might not be going on consoles. If you want to use a gamepad, then I am pretty sure we can include alternate control schemes and perhaps even a custom controls feature.

Also, I don't mind the idea of a Speedway Oval. I actually like NASCAR.
    Fun-Fact: Did you know that NASCARs go so fast and the track is so long and simple that the drivers have to race for 200 laps? Racing games make it look so easy.

Anyway, I always wanted to make a track that was basically a speedway oval, but with wide roads, two shallow corners, two banked sharp corners, and inclines near the track sides to guide players away from the walls and onto a decent racing line. My dream was to make the perfect track for new players and heavy craft.
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 13th May 2012 at 01:56 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Default New game mode idea for Slipstream GX

Name: Marathon Survival (working title)
    Concept: In this multiplayer mode, 2 or more players try to last as long as possible by racing on a randomly generated zone-style track, dodging mines, bombs, and rocks along the way. Points are gained based on how many hazards you successully dodge. You will get bonus points for getting a perfect zone and for making kills (everyone respawns upon death). Even on online play, there will still be bots.
    Soundtrack: Fast-paced and energetic
    Ships: Similiar to WipEout HD Fury's Zone Battle

This quote is where I got the idea:

Quote Originally Posted by jesse9705 View Post
    guys you know how in real life we got rally cars and rally tracks right well ive been thing what about Wipeout rallys maybye the rallys could be done on metal tracks with dirt on them with rocks everywhere you need to avoid well any simple
    dodge as many rocks to get a perfect time score
    competitive say we have 1 AI which is really competitive so it makes it more of a challenge ive made a blue print for a rally track for this
    its simple a one way track no laps so it has to be challenging and it has to be fairly large for it to work
    sorry of the image specs im getting used to using my new graphical studio
    and i think i should share the software for the images i make is UP just download the free ware edition at: http://www.ultimatepaint.com/download.php
    and i have software for making the installer for the game too!
    My idea is to have all of the ships stay in the same general area and making the terrain randomly generate and moving underneath the ships so that the players won't notice that they aren't actually leaving the area. In addition to randomly generated opstacles and such, there should also be random inclines and undulations to make the 'track' as varied as possible, and the visual style will be identicle to WipEout HD's Zone Mode.

The playing area should be moderately large (to keep people from noticing that they are limited to a single area), and there should also be something similiar to pilot assist to keep players from crashing into the invisible walls seperating the playing area from the fake terrain.

Every ship has max attributes, and the speed class should start at slow (around 100 kph/60 mph) and slowly increase every 10-20 seconds (like in Zone Mode), and acceleration will be automatic.
    There will be speed and weapon pads here and there, but the only weapons will be reloadable Autocannons, the Nosferatu (a cooler name for Leech), Quake (an Omnidirectional version), Missiles, and targeted version of the Plasma Bolt. There will also be randomly spawned mines and bombs that you need to avoid (they will automatically be destroyed shortly after leaving the playing area).

You shields will slowly regenerate overtime (1 HP every 2 seconds), but you can speed up the process by getting perfect zones and by absorbing weaponry (which also activates a shield).

--- Inquiries, Suggestions, or Objections? If so, then please reply to this thread and give me honest, detailed feedback. ---
    ~ Time passes by so fast, keep out of the rain.
    Amaroq Dricaldari

What the... The controls are already set: Arrow keys for turning, X to accelerate. No one uses the mouse in racing games... It's much more ergonomic and efficient to use a combination between left hand and right hand keyboard mapping. There is no such thing as console in this game. This is not a FPS game. Only FPS/TPS use mouse+WASD.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

wouldn't it be possible to allow for players to map their own controls? I mean I have no idea how problematic that would be to program but I figure some people are more comfortable with wasd and some aren't... just a thought.