Thread: PS3 NeGcon - Can it be done???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    JuiceStickers

...I'm sorry, but i can't imagine why someone would want to rip apart a perfectly good controller. Though i suppose you have you have a pretty good reason. Good luck with your project. I hope you get it to work.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Absolute worst-case scenario - I can restore both controllers to their as-built configuration.

Next - this NeGcon had some SERIOUS mileage/wear, and some sticky fluid, to boot. (buttons got stuck down a lot)

My PS3 controller IS fubar - though I tolerated it for a long while - it's about time I try to get a functional controller out of it - and if I can't - probably better to have it scrapped entirely. (D-pad L and R also triggers up and down at random - painfully obvious when trying to enter text)

Anyhow - the NeGcon feels so much better in my hands - and if I can work it with the PS3 - could be very fun to use.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    BulletWraith

Cool

(sorry guys this might sound like a lotta dribble for mosta you so you might not want to delve into this one)

I can't believe I Missed this thread, I've chalked up many ideas for a PS2(long time ago)/PS3 neGcon type controller to work with any game, me sucking at electronics(failed the half year I did of it at school) I tried swapping the potentiometer from the neGcon into the left sticks R/L pot
    this didn't work to well at all
    and since I bought a few broken DSII's to muck about with I cut one right down the middle and came to the conclusion that it was way more comfortable having swivelling DS then to use a neGcon (a harsh truth for me)

from what I can tell the DS3 board is pretty small, so I figure just move the board as far as you can inside the controller to the left so it's half sitting under the D-Pad then cut the DS3 in half but not straight down the middle, cut right down the centre of the of the Start button, in this cut will be transplanted the neGcon Swivel bit or what I'd do would be to try to jam in a Ball Bearing with the left sticks x-axis pot inside it in their

to me this seems allot easier than transplanting the innards into a neGcon, if I were to do a transplant I would probably be to lazy
    I'd just rip out the innards from a sixaxis, cram them into a tiny black plastic box, strap that to my left wrist and wire all the inputs from the box into the neGcons cord
    not very elegant but it would get the job done

-zer0shen out

(PS about the range of motion, I thought allot about that, two things: you could try and find a Pot with the same input range that has a great range of motion or use a couple cogs to lengthen out the motion)
    Last edited by BulletWraith; 3rd May 2009 at 06:57 AM. Reason: grammer(though not all mistakes are not fixed I tried)

Timezone
    GMT -5

Zer0 - I came to many of the same thoughts and conclusions you have (even with relocating the mainboard inside the DS3 and sawing / installing a bearing assembly)

But - after having my hands on a NeGcon - my GOD do they feel good! I'm a d-pad guy, and this d-pad is big, fat and accurate. Everything the PS d-pad is not.

Then having a precision analogue steering input for the fine lines you don 't want to decelerate on - it's MADE for Wipeout. Wish I actually sought one out back in the days of Psygnosis - as it was all over the Wipeout documentation.

Anyhow - today is plot values of my DS3 day. Going to fire up the o-scope, DMM and start button mashing. Depending on my results - will determine how I'm going to use the analogue L1, S and X buttons.

*holds breath*

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    BulletWraith

Talking

couple quick thoughts

about the d-dap I fully agree, lol one of my sketches places the neGcons D-pad into the DS3, yesterday I was looking at Fighting game pads made for the PS3 to see if I could locate one with a good D-pad for conversion options, I hear great things about the Madcats Streetfighter pad but also negative stuff about its reliability

you might have seenmy lame concept for a new neG ages ago
    I think it would work really well as it would get the sixaxis sensor centred and controllable whilst steering

if anyone has broken Black neG's they should send them your way, if mine ever karks it it's yours

it's so nice finding someone on a similar wavelength but with the proper knowledge and tools to do the ideas justice
    perhaps you've intercepted some of the thought's I've been puking into the cosmic either

ahh one more thing about the DS3 over a neGcon, the force feedback is another reason I would use a DS3, not much room for the lil motor's in the neG, I find the feedback provides an important element in immersion into what I'm playing

sorry another thing
    ever thought of gutting a Hori Zerotech for the parts? they're ace!

good day to you sir
    -zershen
    Last edited by BulletWraith; 3rd May 2009 at 10:25 PM. Reason: wording

Timezone
    GMT -5

Project not dead - still working on it. Boss making me work tons of OT - speaking of - time to sleep, have work in 5 hours. Bah.

I predict tomorrow will happen like this:
    : coffee

After all that - PS3 controller time.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Quote Originally Posted by IH8YOU View Post
    Ehehehe. I know that feeling