Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: video of Wipeout XL on Saturn

You lucky bastard. Not about the
    nothingtodoonfridaynightsinthislittleonetrafficsig naltown syndrome ,
    but definitely about the cartfull of Saturn goodies.

edit: why the hell is the software forcing a space in the middle of 'signal'?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Software-based character limit on the maximum size of a word.

It's an educated guess.

hm...
    pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis

Must break at 50 letters.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Portland is actually a relatively large and active city, and there's a lot to do... but I don't go to other peoples' rooms and knock on the door to just "drop in." I don't like doing that because I feel rude, so I don't go somewhere unless I'm invited, even if it's just a casual "hey, Eric, swing by this evening sometime." That alone is enough, but I don't like trying to insert myself unannounced.

There are plenty of clubs, performance venues, bars/pubs, etc etc around the city too... but wandering around aimlessly and trying to be a part of any of that **** when you're by yourself is really defeating and frustrating. I feel like a tool going into someplace and just sitting there with a drink by myself or somesh*t. The hell with it.

Also, that shop was closed before I even left to go look in the first place. I'll check tomorrow if I get the chance.

That is why I always hated parties.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

I saved for months and months to buy a Saturn during the "three for free" deal, when the system came bundled with Virtua Figher 2, Virtua Cop, and Daytona USA. My final decision to buy it, though, was influenced by the existence of Wipeout for the Saturn. If it had Wipeout, and the rest of these games, the decision was easy.

Strangely, I couldn't find Saturn Wipeout anywhere. Something like six years went by before I finally saw it at a video game store, while waiting for a movie across the street, for $7. I asked, "Are you really selling this? You're not going to lock it up behind some glass and protect it?" I held on to it like a prized possession.

By that time it looked very dated and the sound wasn't very good. I didn't know the technical limitations of the Saturn compared to the PS1, when I bought it, so I was disappointed by many games. Luckily there was 2097 for the Mac, which I loved to death. But I still owned Saturn Wipeout, and for a time that felt unreal.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

It's not so much the Saturn had technical limitations, it was just extremely difficult to program for. Sega didn't provide enough developers with SDKs to build code for the machine, and the few kits they DID have were shoddy at best. Where joe schmoe could basically write code in C for Playstation and run it through Sony's kit, most Saturn code had to be written at the base level in assembly.

Like most ports of PSX games, both Wipeout and WOXL only use one of the Saturn's two main processors, and the rest of the code isn't optimized through the two VDP chips and two audio chips.

As far as Wipeout 1 on Saturn goes, though, despite it's graphics, Tantrum actually tweaked some of the physics in the game when they ported it, so it plays better than the PSX version.

Does the ship's nose stick to the wall in the Saturn version? I hate that in the PS game.

you bounce off the walls, so less slowdown, framerate is worse though, so do not play the psx version first, or you will not like it.

Too late for that; I've already played WO1 on PSX. My favourite track is Karbonis V.

Bouncing off the walls would be a lot better than sticking to them. Thanks for the info, Al.

Lance, I meant that do not play it right before playing the saturn version

I seeee. Give myself some time to forget. Got it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Good lord, truer words have never been spoken. Truth be told, I like the framerate on the Saturn version more, but if you just did a stint on the PSX, it genuinely takes time to adjust lol

It's more than just fixed wall collisions, they changed the physics engine in general so the game feels a little more fluid. It's hard to explain, but once you play them it's like night and day; you'll never wanna play the PSX version again

side-note, get an s-video cable for the Saturn if you can't do RGB.. composite looks like garbage

I can do RGB and S-video [and HDMI and composite and DVI (or whatever it's called), but I suspect the Saturn doesn't have quite all of those. ].

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

I don't mean RGB in the sense of "component" cables, aka YCbCr. I believe the Saturn outputs true 15/31khz RGB signal; the genesis/MD and even the Master System did a regular 15khz RGB output too.

But it's hard to find the video equipment to handle that signal anymore. s-video suffices

The Genesis was/is a sweet machine. I only got to play one once, mostly Sonic stuff, but I appreciate the machine's innards.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Updated my first post, too; I did a new recording of the previous Valparaiso video so it has better video quality:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql5rTjbzc-s&fmt=22

@Lance: oh man, the Genesis was amazing. It's worth tracking down an old "High Definition Graphics" model (best audio quality) and a bunch of games at a tag sale... kind of the same advice regarding Saturn lol I have a bunch of spare genesis machines at home; while I don't have any spare HDG models, I may be able to piece together a whole package w/ controller and cables and stuff.

You might wanna check out this site sometime:
    http://www.sega-16.com/
    it is to Genesis as WOZ is to Wipeout...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Zj1_eHybY&feature=sub

a review of saturn 2097 with lots of gameplay footage! i love this guy's reviews and hope he gets around to doing some others in the series

PSN ID
    Quickbeamtheent

Ok, I know we've already beaten the poor Saturn horse to death in this topic,

BUT . . . . .

I can't let anyone say the word "Saturn" without informing everyone around me that I am the proud owner of a one Panzer Dragoon Saga. A friendly reminder: it is the best game ever.

Thank you.