Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will there be another WipEout on the PSP?

Default Will there be another WipEout on the PSP?

I think there should...considering the success of the last 2 PSP games. I'm putting my money on there being one more PSP WipEout game for the PSP....who's with me?

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Well, that is a very good question, which I gotta admit that.

It`s the only way we will find out, if there is one more for psp.

stevie

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

I can't really see much possibility though. Pulse did not sell as well as hoped, and with piracy rife on PSP, it's doubtful we'll see a 3rd PSP wipeout.

Quote Originally Posted by insertcoin View Post
    I can't really see much possibility though. Pulse did not sell as well as hoped, and with piracy rife on PSP, it's doubtful we'll see a 3rd PSP wipeout.
    well, piracy on the PSP is a problem...but from what I know, the new PSP, the PSP-3000, has not been able to be hacked. So if that remains the case, then I think the PSP becomes a viable platform again.

Also, I would think that after having made 2 games on the PSP already, it would be much cheaper and easier (still hard though) to create a 3rd game.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

The only chance I'm seeing for another PSP wipEout is that there's a completely new PS3 wipEout soon (rather unlikely), and that new PS3 wipEout gets a port to PSP. If you look at the history of wipEout, it has always come out on the platform with the most technological possibilities, and that's the PS3 right now.

well, if I were Studio Liverpool's business adviser (I'm currently not), I would advise them to put out one more WipEout for the PSP

all they have to do is make a WipEout that includes ALL the levels and vehicles from Pure and Pulse (including ALL the download packs), maybe create 2 more levels and add a new skin for each vehicle and just call it

WipEout Ultimate

*one can dream*

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Lord knows I'd like to see another Wipeout on the PSP but this seems like an impossibility, at least to me

Wipeout Pure did very well, no doubt bolstered by its being a launch title for Sony's entry to the handheld market.

But Wipeout Pulse tanked, and un-deservingly so. Maybe some folks here didn't like Pulse as much as they had hoped but it's better than 90% of the other games on the platform. Why would Sony be tempted to release another iteration of the game on the PSP?

It's pretty clear that the PSP is entering the tail end of its life-cycle, at least, software development is slowing down. And PSP is facing increased competition from the iPhone and Ipod Touch of all places. My best hope for handheld Wipeout is for the a new game to be launched with PSP2...

Of course, this is all just my opinion and conjecture
    Last edited by Frances_Penfold; 1st January 2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: clarity!

PSP can't be entering the tail end of its lifecycle...considering Sony just released PSP-3000.

It's got at least 2 more years imo before PSP2 comes out imo.

And PSP may get some more life breathed into it by some big games like Dissidia, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy Agito...etc. Plus the Playstation Store is finally getting more and more games...so i think PSP may have some life left in it.

---

Also, my point is that Studio Liverpool doesn't have to spend alot of money to create another game...since they already made two, all the resources can be reused and they can just tweak some aspects. It's much cheaper to make a game on a platform you already mastered as opposed to developing for a completely new system...aka PSP2.

But I agree with you, I don't really see it happening either.

How bad were Wipeout Pulse sales? that was one of the few PSP games I've bought.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

My understanding is that the Wipeout Pulse's sales were really pretty bad, unfortunately

It's hard to know what the exact numbers were because, well, the best tracking is always in Japan, and Pulse wasn't released in JPN... and in the U.S. NPD only makes sales of the very top games available to the public, and Wipeout Pulse was never even *close* to a top game in the U.S.... and the reporting in Europe is pretty scattered and country specific. Some of us tried to follow Wipeout Pulse sales by country in Europe for a while, I think there was a week or two where it made it into the top 20 PSP games in one or a few countries, but then disappeared from the charts. If anybody knows better feel free to correct me-- I'm going off of memory here

On the plus side, the Wipeout Pulse demo has been pretty popular-- showing the folks are interested in the idea of Wipeout-- and WOHD has done ok, and will probably "have legs" due to its online-distribution sale model.

I love the PSP hardware and hopes it continues to do well. It does ok hard-ware wise but not-so-well with software sales, plus it's pirated to hell and back due to custom firmware. It's pretty clear the latter is the reason that Sony keeps releasing incremental upgrades to the hardware, it's an arms race with CFW makers and hackers.

Anyway, I'd LOVE to see another handheld Wipeout in the next year or two but it's hard to believe it would be worth Sony's efforts

yeah piracy is a major problem...but so far at least the PSP3000 has not been hackable...let's see how long that remains the case

also, I think Sony should bring Wipeout Pulse to the Playstation Store like its little brother Pure...that way it can gain a audience. I think more and more people will buy games from the PS Store in the future.

PSN ID
    wickedwill1993

wip3out psp! there i said it. it needs to be made...or at least put on the playstation store.

PSN ID
    GreenPhazon

I'd rather they put more effort into a proper PS3 WipEout

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    NightArh

I think E3 09 will discover some secrets about new Wipeout Games

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Ya know, they could always port the old wipeouts onto PSP, that would rule.

I read in this thread that Pulse sales were crap. I don't believe that, Pulse is now a Platinum release - meaning it's a best selling game right?

In light of this revelation, it is totally viable that PSP gamers would want another W"O on PSP.

I guess it's up to the powers that be to give us another W"O on this portable format.

I'd like to see another W"O on PSP, sure - I'd buy it!

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    NightArh

I want to see WO Fury on PSP... Compatible with PS3 version via network

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

it won't happen. The best bet is another W"O on PSP, like W"O Fury.

Even though Pure and Pulse sales were so good that they went Platinum, and though this warrants reason enough to develop another W"O for PSP, it's unlikely...

... and that's a crying shame!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    GalaticTitan

I doupt it, I`d would wanna see one on the PS3.

I'd like to see one on the 360, but I know that's not going to happen.
    A well-developed third WO on the PSP would be vEry cool, though.

Might happen Lance. Playstation is getting trampled by xbox and when xbox get that new controller out that makes Wii look naff. They might get licence for wipeout. Playstation is the 21st century version of SEGA .

But Sony is a totally different animal/corporation from SEGA. They have had an exclusivity policy for many years, and I suspect this will continue for a long time because they are into too many different businesses to succumb to economic pressure in the gaming industry alone.