Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Race start sequence

PSN ID
    backroom

Lightbulb Race start sequence

I would like to see a more realistic start sequence than a camera floating around.

For example we get the 'Welcome to ...' then we see the speed and weapon pads activate followed by any mag-locks. Then the start bar flickers into life as the ships rise out of the pits in a similar but shorter style to fusion.
    Then it's "Ready..........3...2...1.....GO"

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

Don't know about that, you know what they say, if something is'nt broken, don't fix it.

PSN ID
    backroom

Not broken, boring.

How many people skip Pulse's opening? Most.
    Why not have something more interesting, perhaps random camera angles on the above features which reveal skil-cuts which would otherwise be unnoticed.

These short clips could be useful to watch and less people would skip them as a result.

I suspect that no matter how interesting an opening sequence is, after a few run throughs, most people are just going to want to get on with the game and will bypass the opening as fast as possible. And if they can't bypass the opening, they will be frustrated and angry.

And start throwing things.

Like the game.

Out.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I did watch all of the intros a few times, but now I just skip them for the reason Lance mentioned.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Y'know, that was actually one of the things I adored about Fusion: seeing the ships being elevated to the track, out of their team hangars, just like the glorious intro FMV of the original wipEout pictured it. I would LOVE to see that return, and the 'switching on' the track, with pads, billboards and all, sounds like a very sweet idea, too. Of course, it does have to be skip-able.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

I actually LOVE the track descriptions. Gives me more insight into the WipEout universe.

(See my thread in The Pilot's Lounge "Retro Track Narration Descriptions" or something like that)

Wouldn't mind seeing the weapons pad activations and such. Though I don't think they need to be done on a Per-Track basis. Might be cool for an intro, though.

PSN ID
    backroom

The track descriptions are the same as those found on www.wipeoutpulse.com. If they were different it might be more worth it.

I agree that the opening must be skip-able but there should be some incentive to watch, like the hidden skill-cuts I mentioned above.

Once the player has mastered the track and knows it back to front I see no problem with skipping in such cases.

When I play Pulse I let it get to "Welcome to 'X'" then press x to skip it, as this is the only bit I find realistic. For me, the whole floating camera which looks at the environment at the begining of a race is unrealistic, and slow.

I didn't mind Pure's openings but would have preferred to see the ships rise out of the pits as in Fusion. I only actually realised that they were pit doors when I played fusion at my friend's house, as Pure is the first WipEout I knew of, I didn't even realise there was a whole series until I first found this place.

Thanks for your thoughts, keep them coming.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

If there has to be an intro sequence, I just wish there was an on/off selection from the main menus, so I wouldn't have to press x each time to skip it. I don't mind seeing a sequence once or twice, but as Lance said, most just want to race already!

I found the length of the original WipEout's sequence just right. Fusion's was way too long for me and the sounds were incredible annoying (that beeping, aargh! I just wanted to put my earplugs in...). The sequences in Pulse just bored me to death, and I don't even remember Pure's - which probably means I was okay with them.

Keep the sequences short, I say, and then it doesn't matter too much what's going on in them. Admiring the track is what you do when you're TTing.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

An intro that shows your craft with all the bots, and the hangar opening up, then following the craft rise up from underneath the track... Only one change from the first Wipeout's intro video... the doors wouldn't take so long to open and close, after all it is later in the future... and if their would be a pause before conting down starts, let the crowd's roars be the loudest and heaviest heard at this point... with even ghusts of wind and rain or relations of such play a role at this point as well as the grid flags flap with victory!!! RAAWW!!!!

Hearing random team chants would be a great addition as well...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by Chill View Post
    the doors wouldn't take so long to open and close, after all it is later in the future...
    If only you had been a developper of Mass Effect... Damn the elevators in there are so slooooow... And it's set in the future too, on a very futuristic city. :x

Anyways, I also vouch for interesting intros that make the game feel more like a special event rather than a history class... Zzzzz

maybe a track with fireworks that go off along the start grid when the screens say GO - but not all the tracks - just one.

Id like to see different 3,2,1,GO screens for each different track, and other things that make each track unique. Id like to hear different voices for different tracks too, like a russian voice on a russian track, maybe even in russian language, to say 3,2,1,GO.

as for the intro bit, i like wip3out's simple move around the ship and then straight into the race. ive never liked pulse's, doesn't seem like wipeout to have all that talking in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    like a special event rather than a history class... Zzzzz
    History is one of the most interesting subjects in the world if one pursues it on one's own, but there tends to be too high a percentage of history teachers who are lazy and dull. There is a tendency to simply parrot the book in class. Just my less than totally informed opinion.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I agree, history in itself is not boring. But the fact that the semi-robotic voice keeps hammering the same thing in our heads with the same monotonous tone makes it boring. And since what it says is the story and history of the track, well...
    I've had many boring teachers in many different classes, I'm sure I have not seen the end of it. I had some cool history teachers, some a bit less cool.
    Anyway the point is that the introductions in Pulse are boring, once you've heard them a few times it's enough. If it's the same in HD (Which I doubt, from what we've seen it's only the camera angles with sound effects) I hope you can somehow skip the intro so it doesn't have to load it before the track.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    trentdf

i love the idea of different accents/ languages counting down. I'd also like to hear different warning accents depending on the nationality of the ship your racing in. This would probably send me back to Qirex if they had that sexy Wipeout 3 voice... rawwwwwket.. i love it
    Last edited by trentdf; 29th August 2008 at 07:23 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

Different languages would be perfect! Count the "3, 2, 1" in the language of teh course, and announce the incoming weapons and suchlike in the language of the pilot. Fun, realistic, *and* educational!

And I love Chill's idea of team chants too -- if you're the "home" team, imagine coming around the final turn with the fans singing and chanting your team name, a little Doppler effect as you whiz past them; maybe a little booing if the hometown craft hits the walls. How soundproof are these craft? How well would the pilot be able to hear outside?

PSN ID
    backroom

We know that the craft can hear general crowd cheering as they fly past the stands and the sounds of the weapons, but otherwise we have no idea.

Having all the speech sounds in different languages would take lots of space on the UMD and may reduce the number of tracks etc avaliable. A way around this could be to make this a downloadable feature, free, from the PSN Store.
    I think that it should be in the local accent to the area, but in English (or the language you are playing in).

I like the idea of an option to turn the start videos off, but I think the "Welcome to 'X'" should happen while you wait to start off. Alternatively, there could be different styles of opening, Full Start is like I said in my first post in this thread, Quick Start is just the pit doors opening and No Start is just the "Welcome to 'X'" whilst waiting to start.

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

Each sound clip is only a few seconds long, if that, so I think many languages could be added at the cost of sacrificing a single music track -- and each Wipeout game seems to have at least one forgettable music track. ^^; They could even dump the audio files describing the features of the tracks (just leave the text only) and use that space. As many here have commented, nobody listens to those descriptions after the first time.

They don't think any of the music tracks are disposable when they first put them in there.

Quote Originally Posted by P52Smith View Post
    Having all the speech sounds in different languages would take lots of space on the UMD and may reduce the number of tracks etc avaliable. A way around this could be to make this a downloadable feature, free, from the PSN Store.
    I think that it should be in the local accent to the area, but in English (or the language you are playing in).
    im sure there's plenty of room on a blu-ray =) and when i said different languages, i meant just for the 3,2,1,GO - the weapons and alerts would still be in english for convenience, but still with different regional accents =)