Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 64...yes or no?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

Default 64...yes or no?

i played it for the first time yesterday...and im loving it, who else here cant see too much wrong with this game? ive actually became a big fan of it the last 24 hours, i just dont like the HUD too much. thoughts and opinions?

PSN ID
    Axellink

It is a brilliant game that uses the N64 controller VERY well. This is the game that truly got me into the series. Best track in the game is Qoron IV. Oh and them challenges are very frakking hard dude.

Glad to see someone loves WO64 as much as I do

My favorite physics of any of the games. Two problems with the game, so you don't have to discover on your own. Time trial is only one lap records(this would have been nice to be like xl). When you are in first place you pick up no more turbos, autopilots quakes bombs, which sucks, but when behind you pick up all of these. The tournament for 64 is weapons off because of this. I have a cheat code to make it fair for gameshark, but I do not know how to get it to work with player one and two, it always freezes up.

PSN ID
    Axellink

Yup the two problems you highlighted are what bugged me about the game. Also the corrupt save files. I must have done the Challanges all to gold at least three times!!! Very good game in my eyes.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    DJTECHNO

It was Nintendos best match to comeback on when Sega and them were in were in the game console war with each other.

Assuming who all have played with the Sega Saturn version of Wipeout
    and the all who played Nintendo 64 version of Wipeout

Freakin Neat I thought when i played it.
    The same company who brought out to fighting gamers everywhere. Midway and Midway created Mortal Kombat for SNES/N64.

The game motivates speed, control, and grip.
    And some of the same factors Wipeout XL for Playstation had.
    cutting corners and real high fly action.

And holding the 64 controller was cool for players after the other games that were offered.
    A lot of folks hold and play the controller different.

lol I still use both hands on the palms and the left for moving.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

I love the game but still haven't had the time to finish it. Great physics and although the tracks are far from original, it feels totally wicked to race Karbonis in reverse at Phantom speeds in a Piranha II. Messes with my head every time!
    WO64 is sort of a SE version of wipeout - you get hardly any original tracks, but you get to race classic tracks faster than you ever did before. The first four-player wipeout, that's probably the best reason to get it.

The weapons hand-outs are what really wreck the game though, I think, just like Al said. Not random at all, ugh. Well, I guess it's the game freezing that really wrecks it. Just when you think you've got that lap nailed, it goes and freezes up. AARGH!
    Great game, yes, but spoiled by the weapons and freezes. And the Nintendo-ized screens. And lack of good music tracks (just not up to the quality of the other games' tracks).

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

I loved everything about WO64 and I still do - fav song: Goodnight Lover by Fluke...play that on qoronIV at phantom and its pure heaven...

PSN ID
    AVENGER2197

WO64 is one of my all time favs for sure. There really is nothing better than flying so fast you can't feel your hands afterward. The weapons bug/glitch thing is the main detractor tho

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

as far as the game freezing and the corrupt saves are concerned, I really think it's just due to dirty cartridge contacts. I always kept my games and console clean (Q-Tips & Windex for cartridges, and a system cleaning kit for the console), and I even cleaned the pins on the memory cards. Never once did i have hte game freeze on me or get a corrupt save; I did accidentally hit my N64 while I was playing though, and the jostle must have interrupted SOME kind of data transfer because the music got scratchy. That was about all though.

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

i never quite liked the N64, it had some good games, thats for sure, but i never did like it, the controller felt too much like a toy.

PSN ID
    CarlosX360

I thought it was a good game, too bad it was underrated.

While it was a good game, it doesn't feel anything like a Wipeout visual wise. I donno, there wasn't that spark that WOXL had.

PSN ID
    Axellink

Well it felt like one to me since it was my first owned WO game. But yeah, it did play differently from 2097. I'm pissed I lost my copy of the game though.

PSN ID
    pildog

Wipeout64 was my first Wipeout and I loved it, even if the difficulty got a bit too much for me after a time. However I now have this on emulator and it works just fine, so I may try to complete it this time!

I loved my 64, still got it somewhere.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

I just did two player on this game with a mate of mine, late yesterday. A real real real downgrade graphics wise playing this, but it was fun. I recon the frame rate in two player in Wipeout 64 is more fps than HD. It was smooth, but that was it. And someone tell me whats so super about the PiranhaII, weapon? It is as useless as the concept of daylight savings.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Kigo, try flying -through- another ship on the track when you engage PiranhaII's special weapon

It was probably my favourite of the WipeOut games, since it seemed to do everything right. Great soundtrack, a VERY speedy game, and it balanced all of the ship elements exactly right. One quite speedy speedy one, one very manouverable one, one very speedy one, and one all rounder. (And one excellent at everything). My favourite track was Quoron IV, or Macheon II due to the excitement and turns on them

PSN ID
    Andybob35/ZoNeS

never played any wipout after WoSE till woHD came out, how does the controller and airbrakes work... that was my issue with the psp versions.

p.s. Go get him Infoxicated!

Well i have just bought wipeout 64 for a fiver and a n64 with 4 random games for 25 quid. hopefully i like wipeout 64 as i have just read a few reviews and it only got like 6 or 7s out of 10. Normally dont take much notice of reviews but they were a bit legit back then.

so i got both parcels today, im in love xD. the steering is precise, i can tell even though the controller stick is kinda unstable, worn out, gutted to find out i need to buy mempack
    Last edited by brainbeat; 25th February 2010 at 04:13 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Damn! I sold mine just some weeks before! After reading here it has something to do with the contacts of the game module causing it to freeze. Mine always froze every 1-2 races, so i never played it. Now i have to look out for a us-version for my ntsc-console.

@brainbeat: ah, almost forgot. Can you, were you live get fresh controlsticks from nintendo itself? It was possible here. There easely switched, if you want a new one.
    Last edited by Mnemonic; 17th June 2010 at 06:10 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by brainbeat View Post
    Well i have just bought wipeout 64 for a fiver and a n64 with 4 random games for 25 quid. hopefully i like wipeout 64 as i have just read a few reviews and it only got like 6 or 7s out of 10. Normally dont take much notice of reviews but they were a bit legit back then.

so i got both parcels today, im in love xD. the steering is precise, i can tell even though the controller stick is kinda unstable, worn out, gutted to find out i need to buy mempack
    Google "n64 replacement joystick" or something similar and you can often find places that sell the analog stick mechanism. It's a quick swap-job and you're good as new.