View Poll Results: Wipeout series/other media?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely!

43 70.49%
  • Nah, I want to LIVE the action!

14 22.95%
  • I couldn't care less.

4 6.56%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WipEout movie/series?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Nadia_Elenova

Holywood will surely screw it up. Production IG is THE STUDIO to get this job done properly.

PSN ID
    backroom

What about the guys who did speed racer, they might be good?

(I don't actually know who did it but I thought it was quite good quality)

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

The Wachowski brothers I think - the guys behind the Matrix.

PSN ID
    backroom

The Matrix series is also quite good.
    We need to get these boys in!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Nadia_Elenova

Speed racer? Wachowski brothers? NO WAY!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Sad, but true.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Oh, the Metallica innuendo!

[/offtopic]

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

If they did a Wipeout movie, it could just happen to be a huge hit like Star Wars if it's planned right, who knows? All I know is I'd definately own the movie...

Or if Wipeout could be made into an anime series, like Speed Racer was (but obviously better), that could be badass as well... hahaha.

Either way, it needs a badass story to base it on...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    DJTECHNO

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    Sony has lost so much money in the games division that I wonder if they might not ultimately resort to the movies and telvision portion of the operation to produce profitable content based on their game franchises. Content ownership is where they have been most successful since their decline in general electronics hardware leadership. Hardware and content tend to be competitive against each other in the market, what's best for one being what's worst for the other. Content freedom for hardware, restrictive content control for content owners. Sony sits on both sides of the fence.

----

It is rare that high-quality film or tv is ever made from games; what usually happens is a lot of flashbang visuals with the quality of writing sacrificed to those SpecialEFX. Anyone who wants to have their intellect or emotions engaged instead of getting only sensory overload is disappointed. Because of the high level of player control and interactivity, the games are even better for sensory overload than any movie could be, so I would prefer that no movie or tv series ever be made from WipEout.

If its one thing.. Its another

always hearing that a company won't produce something cause of money!

all the movies out there from... well lets see.
    comic books, novels... oh and video games.

I don't think Sony needs to even have a part in making a movie. maybe the part in funding and a bit more.
    Not paying some director or producer of there choice to make something.

If it comes up.

somebody does a movie...
    let it be where Arial Tetsuo and the begining of the whole thing.

Hell, the director for Wing Commander. get him to do a movie for this thing. bam.

Sony got into the movie business back when they bought Columbia Pictures, and became owners of their entire catalogue. Since then, Sony has become a major distributor of not only those old movies, but new movies as well. As the owner of WipEout, and a movie distributor, and a financial backer, they would have complete control of a movie based on the game; that includes having the say over who directs, who produces, what actors are used, the whole shebang. You know how over-the-top they've been about content control, so it's "unlikely"/impossible that they would allow any independence to anyone working with their content, no matter whom wE'd like to see working on it. Dammit.

Cool Book

I think WO would make a great novel (or series).

Thinking about the sony connection, the final fantasy movie although a little slow, would be a great CG way to make a WO feature. Better than the clone wars style anyway.

Wipeout - with Ariel Tetsuo - yeah baby
    Last edited by neochrome; 29th September 2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Turned my drivel into English

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

I dunno...As much as we tend to cast away Fusion, it definitely has the blueprint to be "the game" you could base a WipEout movie off of.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    knaeg

what about a reality tv-style mockumentary, involving real actors supported by cgi effects for race scenes? I think the WipEout background offers a great deal of material to show pilot and team rivalry, media pressure and stuff like that...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    DJTECHNO

at least you failed to mention paul walker and vin desiel as the actors to what you sayin...
    Last edited by Lance; 4th October 2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Redundant quotation eliminated. Read the guidelines, please.

I don't want to see those actors in a racing movie again.
    Nor the guy who wrote the scripts for t F & t F.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    DJTECHNO

I'm Sorry

you didn't know Lance?

Fast and Furious 4 London

Brian and Don ( Paul And Vin )

Really just cause, Sony has a department that says under that section they claim rights and stuff to Wipeout. Wouldn't completely turn the movie into something of a pop drop.
    It doesn't have to be in theatures. But DVD and Blue Ray disk, makes them the bucks too.

I keep seeing Sony pictures show up after Sanford and Son comes on and over. each show.

they might have owning rights to Fred Sanfords show now. But they damn can't change it.
    and Wasn't it Originally Designers Republic who created Wipeout. And like Sanford and Son.
    Its the original people who have the more power to anything bought out.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

for the 1000000.....st time, no, it wasn't DR who created wipEout - they just did SUPPLEMENTAL GRAPHICS DESIGN (Team Logos, etc.). Ships, Tracks, Gameplay have NOTHING to do with them, all credit goes to Psygnosis.
    Last edited by Lance; 5th October 2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Removed potential flame war content.

WipEout was created by Nick Burcombe and Jim Bowers, who were working for Psygnosis at the time, and they and the other team members of Psygnosis [which Sony already owned controlling interest of] designed and developed the game. The Designers Republic basically just painted and waxed the car so the surface was a little shinier, but they didn't make the car.

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

[offtopic] you should look at the other stuff Designers Republic have done, quite amazing [/offtopic]

I may have said this before, but i think the best way for a WipEout movie/series would be CGI or Anime style.

Life action would in my opinion degrade the visual feel to some extent.

I've already seen other stuff that DR has done. Did you think I had not?
    And don't forget that the Designers Republic of today is not the same set of designers they had in the time when they worked on the WipEout series. I'm reasonably sure you had not forgot this.

I don't think that future WipEout game versions or HD in particular, nor a movie based on any of them, would likely be made better by the participation of DR.