View Poll Results: Wipeout series/other media?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely!

43 70.49%
  • Nah, I want to LIVE the action!

14 22.95%
  • I couldn't care less.

4 6.56%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WipEout movie/series?

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

I hope you're joking..

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

I see you are an objective person, assimilator, because Blixabargeld is biased.(And yes, I am also).

And on that note, I run for the hills.

Silent Hill was a good movie. Captured the feeling of the game well, good plot, well acted in general. Only ruined my Sean Beans american accent.

I liked the Mortal Kombat soundtrack,
    but [TMI>>> I only liked the movie because the guy was hot.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

What guy? Johnny Cage?

Liu Kiang [actor Robin Shou]

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

Comic book films are awesome, therefore a wipeout comic must be made, then a film. The comic provides the backstory and extended fanbase, the games provide the teams, tracks and textures for the CGI Race scenes...

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

The idea of the Movie just could be a flying success with the right formula. Decent plot with great cinematography would obviously play a big role in it, with the addition of some of the best Wipeout music artists of all time. There is already an in depth fan fiction in the Wipeout series, so it could just work, all we need is someone with enough enthusiasm and resources to put this idea into a rolling action. Any Movie Directors out there wants to give this a shot? It might just be more successful than ever considered possible.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

You have to create characters for this film, and unless I am wrong character rivalries in Wipeout Fusion were not on the "Plus" side of the game, or so I've heard. It would be very hard to have a movie just about racing and the big corporation, people need a man to identify with on the screen, a "hero" of some sort, as well as a problem he must face.

That's why I still think a movie about Wipeout would be unsuccessful, because I just cannot see what could be created to fill in these gaps...

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

i could be absolutely wrong here...but wasn't a WipEout-ish video arcade game used in the movie Hackers??? (o dear...I've let out a little secret...yes I did watch the movie...only for Angelina Jolie...)

edit: linky
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ygV4MkUh-M
    Last edited by cybrpnk; 14th July 2008 at 03:07 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

there's absolutely no shame in liking the movie 'hackers'. And yes, there are scenes where the protagonists are playing an on-rails shooter that is a close relative to the first wipEout game.
    As for a wipEout movie - I don't see any problems with having heroes and villains in it. Just please make it based on the first wipEout game, it has to be gritty and experimental, and it has to have Kel Solaar and Arial Tetsuo in it!

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

I recon it should be an anime/manga styled animation, or a CGI rendered movie, I dont think live action would work.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

if movies like 'I, Robot', 'A.I.' or '5th Element' are any indication, live action with convincing CG would very well work. I'm all for it!!! Just don't let Uwe Boll pick up the idea!

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

You forget that if it is done in CG or Live Action, there a risk of losing the simplistic visual finess which made the game eye-catching.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    Just don't let Uwe Boll pick up the idea!
    Wipeout is not a single-player action/adventure game. We are safe from Eww Boll.

I envision a WipEout movie as being kind of like a sci-fi version of the 1966 film "Grand Prix". Like a condensed run-through of a season told through several different perspectives. It'd be long, yes, but I wouldn't have it any other way. And it should be based on 2097/XL or the original.
    Last edited by RJ O'Connell; 16th July 2008 at 04:30 AM.

The intro should cover the unveiling of the first "ship" in the desert, then cut to title, then get to the film which will inevitably get nerfed because someone somewhere simply HAS to have a love interest in every film ever made, wether it fits or not... Hitman anyone?

An Anime style would work, I guess, but... well... isn't that a little overdone now? I mean, there are other Animation styles, some of which surpass Anime imo... if nothing else an Anime artist would have a field day with the female pilots' boobs, they always do, it's like some weird form of OCD.

PSN ID
    backroom

I think that it should be primarily CGI but the pilots and key characters should be based on the person providing the audio for that role to make them appear more lifelike.

A recent idea I had relating to this was that it should map the development of AG technology, particularly in AG racing including 1-3 races from each league, including Fusion's final race when the controversy is revealled to the masses and how they handle it. Then the revelation of the 'illegal' racing and the FX150 followed by Pure, HD and Pulse in the same manner as pre-fusion before including some developmental features for the next game in the series, to suggest the next stage of evolution for the die hard wipeout fans to think about.

Although this is a very good idea, I can't see Sony allowing someone to do it, or even doing it themselves.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

"The Last Race" was handled sort of like this: Rogue datacast networks bust into Race HQ, find evidence that pretty much most of the F9000 was rigged, larger datacasts pick up the story, the raid gets filmed on the Jumbotrons, fans go apeshiat and the pilots are forced to abandon the race.

For a less half-assed explanation from an official source, click hither.

PSN ID
    backroom

Yes, I think that about covers it.
    I think that that would be an important part of the 'documentation' of AG Racing.

However, I think it unlikely that this great idea would ever become a reality. A great shame for many WipEout fans.

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

Quote Originally Posted by adelheid View Post
    An Anime style would work, I guess, but... well... isn't that a little overdone now? I mean, there are other Animation styles, some of which surpass Anime imo... if nothing else an Anime artist would have a field day with the female pilots' boobs, they always do, it's like some weird form of OCD.
    If it is an Anime, I think the more favourable animation teams to chose would be the guys who did Appleseed or the team which did the cool animation for Kill Bill vol.1, but then again, I dont really know my anime, all I will say is keep it AWAY from hollywood, because in my view, they are more capable of screwing it up. Most of the design aspects of WipEout seem to have an Anime/Manga influence to them, so it seems natural for it to be an Anime.