View Poll Results: Wipeout series/other media?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely!

43 70.49%
  • Nah, I want to LIVE the action!

14 22.95%
  • I couldn't care less.

4 6.56%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: WipEout movie/series?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Delci

Default WipEout movie/series?

I just thought of this randomly the other day, and thought it was too dumb to post it at a place like this, but heck, it's worth a try. It's probably a bad idea anyway, but it might be interesting too.
    In the future, what if they made a Wipeout movie or series, like a live-action film or an anime? You know, technically it could work. The franchise seems big enough. It would be nice to see a novel too - maybe expanding the Wipeout universe a bit, running with the science-fiction concept. Talk about the history of Anti-Gravity racing, maybe, or describe what it's like to actually be a pilot controlling a craft in one of those high-octane races. Sometimes the manuals give a bit of storyline text (especially Pulse's!), and the descriptions in the games border on poetic.
    Who knows, maybe it wouldn't be as successful. It'd be interesting to see how they would do that, though. So, am I alone on the idea, or would anyone else like to see Wipeout's horizons broadened?

Timezone
    GMT -6

that would be pretty cool, if they did it right lol.

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

it's a fact, all movies based on videogames sucks...

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

ideas for a wipeout movie have been discussed several times before... but I don't remember seeing anyone put forth the idea of a series.
    I think it could work really well as a cartoon/anime.
    there would have to be some larger overarching plot to the show, but you could fit some cool race scenes in each episode.
    Unfortunately, judging by most of the drivel on TV; I have a hard time imagining it happening with anything resembling decent writing

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Delci

They have several plot-possibilities if they were to turn it into a series, or even a miniseries...I wouldn't mind seeing the Burnston Burns 'balloon incident' which halted Icaras' development or maybe even if they went in-depth about the 'grey goo incident' (?) at Talon's Junction...
    Something creepy they could reference to is the fact that the people in the stadium at Basilico aren't actually real (I think), because the description says that they are 'crowd avatars' (like holograms?) and that Nova Scotia was abandoned due to some kind of outbreak. WipEout meets I Am Legend?
    The result? Speed Racer X on crack.

Sony has lost so much money in the games division that I wonder if they might not ultimately resort to the movies and telvision portion of the operation to produce profitable content based on their game franchises. Content ownership is where they have been most successful since their decline in general electronics hardware leadership. Hardware and content tend to be competitive against each other in the market, what's best for one being what's worst for the other. Content freedom for hardware, restrictive content control for content owners. Sony sits on both sides of the fence.

----

It is rare that high-quality film or tv is ever made from games; what usually happens is a lot of flashbang visuals with the quality of writing sacrificed to those SpecialEFX. Anyone who wants to have their intellect or emotions engaged instead of getting only sensory overload is disappointed. Because of the high level of player control and interactivity, the games are even better for sensory overload than any movie could be, so I would prefer that no movie or tv series ever be made from WipEout.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Delci

That's true...I can picture a WipEout Michael Bay flick with a Single Race event scene that would look more like an Eliminator challenge in Phantom class.
    At the same time, podracing comes to mind...
    If they tried to impletment the 'emotion-yanker' concept into a W0 series, I bet it would be in the form of 'Contender Eliminated' with tears and the modern bloodthirsty touch.
    In this case, you're right. WipEout probably won't be using anti-gravity over the red carpet anytime soon.
    Last edited by Delci; 25th March 2008 at 08:14 PM. Reason: incomplete

Timezone
    GMT -6

I wouldnt want to see WipEout as a movie, but as an anime series I think it would definitely be cool. And unlike game to movie translations, there are several games to anime done well.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Delci

WipEout as anime...probably would be the better choice if it was to undergo any other adaption. WipEout as a moving piece of pop-art with the hyperglossy sheen of anime. Let's just hope Piranha can outrun moe references!
    Last edited by Delci; 25th March 2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: incomplete

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Nooo!! 'Cause then the novel I am writing would be overshadowed by it.

Just kidding. Of course I'd love to see it happen. But it won't. Or it will be crap. That's always how it goes when you have great expectations.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Delci

Let's just hope it wouldn't be like the DooM 3 novel; brand-new, book adaption of a game...but paperback and $5 at the most.
    Now, as for WipEout as a manga...

Quote Originally Posted by kyocrisis View Post
    ~snip~there are several games to anime done well.
    None of which are named ''Yu-Gi-Oh'.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Nadia_Elenova

A movie would be cool if they do it properly, and somehow I believe there is not a posibility.
    Anime series would be more suitable, my bet is for Production IG Studio (Ghost in the Shell S.A.C.-the series, not the boring movies!-). They can do nice plots and CGI mechanical elements really well designed and animated, with crazy but not senseless action.
    Novel will be also cool, expanding the backstory that made us shiver througout the WO series (thank you guys who are responsible of that). And talking about manga, well, I can help thinking in Yukito Kishiro (maybe too cyberpunk) or master Shirow.
    Just dreaming...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Delci

In the event of a manga/anime, I can imagine the main character's involvement would probably incline towards AG Systems, and implement a few of Fusion's 'upgrade' features, with limit-scraping combat and speed-tech to boot, but opposition coming in the form of personal history or ridiculously skilled rivals...which would essentially be WipEout meets Evangelion.
    At this point, I can imagine the other teams becoming an afterthought. xD

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

I honestly think the closest we'll ever get to what we really want to see was realised in Oban: Star Racers
    there would obviously be a lot of differences, but it would be a case of x instead of y for each bullet point rather than a totally different direction

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    SpaceboyG

Default Next Episode...

I've chimed about this in the past, but I thought I'd help pad the numbers for this poll. My original thought of a series happened back in the day when CG cartoons/movies first hit and started to dominate the landscape. Still would prefer the CG route, but reading the posts on here I quickly want to comment.

There are plenty of stories to tell since the people writing the back story have fleshed out an amazing universe. You can concentrate on Pierre Belmondo's pursuit of anti-grav, the pilot rivalries in the first game, talk about the corruption that caused the downfall of ant-grav racing after F9000, or even those little bits as the game loads the track in Pulse. Any one of those would be would make a great arc for the series or a season. Or even take these points and use them as flashbacks. Could've been done in the F9000 era, especially with Natasha Belmondo.

Also, I wouldn't litter every episode with a race, maybe have some of it take place behind the scenes like say in a garage. Show the pilots, mechanics or execs beside say a FEISAR. That way at least you've filled your anti-grav craft quota for that episode Whatever the case, I'd hate for it to be dumbed down for the kids so becomes a race of the week kind of fair.

That said, I'm afraid that to have a movie or series, you're basically gearing it towards kids. I just love taking this idea and running with it. Wishing that in a perfect world they'd go with something a bit closer to what I was thinking of. Guess there's always fan films/fan art for that. Maybe even reading Medusa's stuff

Bottom line, if they can make an anime on F-Zero, then Sony can do the same for Wipeout!

And if they do make a Wipeout series, please show the bombing of the Pacific Islands or Goteki's headquarters as a cliffhanger Would definitely make me come back for more.

PS - GitS : SAC was awesome!

PSN ID
    TearsToShreds

Making Wipeout into an anime would be the last blow to make me steer away from the series. Anime and the likes are abominations of mankind, in my opinion.

Timezone
    GMT + 8

I personally think it would work well for a Anime or Manga.

The idea of a live action movie may not work, as movies based on games tend to be bad.

Sadly as mentioned before in this trend that oban star racers is the closest thing to a wipeout anime at this point.

Should there a wipeout anime or manga series i watch/read it for sure

Quote Originally Posted by The Muse View Post
    Anime and the likes are abominations of mankind, in my opinion.
    A possibly excessive sweeping generalisation.

Dammit, I still haven't seen Porco Rosso. Love the seaplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven236 View Post
    The idea of a live action movie may not work, as movies based on games tend to be bad.
    Indeed they do. Horribly horribly bad. Some of the games deserve much better. Not all. But some.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Delci

It would be simple, if they just broke down the concepts and plot of Air Gear to its core, turned Air Treks into anti-grav teams and did some background on the more...'famous' pilots (Natasha Belmondo ftw?).
    It could even be set way back, when the earliest teams were founded, showing the events leading up to or between each game - maybe each different 'episode' (in the event of a miniseries) or 'season' (in the event of a long-term series) as a different year.
    ...I'd still like to know how Burnston Burns choked on a balloon... xD
    Last edited by Delci; 29th March 2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: rearrangement of words