View Poll Results: Wipeout series/other media?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely!

43 70.49%
  • Nah, I want to LIVE the action!

14 22.95%
  • I couldn't care less.

4 6.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WipEout movie/series?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Delci

Default WipEout movie/series?

I just thought of this randomly the other day, and thought it was too dumb to post it at a place like this, but heck, it's worth a try. It's probably a bad idea anyway, but it might be interesting too.
    In the future, what if they made a Wipeout movie or series, like a live-action film or an anime? You know, technically it could work. The franchise seems big enough. It would be nice to see a novel too - maybe expanding the Wipeout universe a bit, running with the science-fiction concept. Talk about the history of Anti-Gravity racing, maybe, or describe what it's like to actually be a pilot controlling a craft in one of those high-octane races. Sometimes the manuals give a bit of storyline text (especially Pulse's!), and the descriptions in the games border on poetic.
    Who knows, maybe it wouldn't be as successful. It'd be interesting to see how they would do that, though. So, am I alone on the idea, or would anyone else like to see Wipeout's horizons broadened?

Timezone
    GMT -6

that would be pretty cool, if they did it right lol.

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

it's a fact, all movies based on videogames sucks...

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Assimilator69

Quote Originally Posted by blixabargeld View Post
    it's a fact, all movies based on videogames sucks...
    come on mortal kombat was pretty good

PSN ID

I hope you're joking..

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

I see you are an objective person, assimilator, because Blixabargeld is biased.(And yes, I am also).

And on that note, I run for the hills.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

All I can say is that a both games and racing tend to be poorly made in movies, bring in Sci-Fi and the results me be really cringey.
    Well, a quality team could of course deliver great work, as long as it's no Hollywood...

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

I think the Wachowskis could pull it off. I quite enjoyed Speed Racer, and a film with that kind of oversaturated vision of reality with a plot based on bringing about the fall of F9000 could be really cool.
    Fusion, and the lore presented in Pure, provide some promising material.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

ideas for a wipeout movie have been discussed several times before... but I don't remember seeing anyone put forth the idea of a series.
    I think it could work really well as a cartoon/anime.
    there would have to be some larger overarching plot to the show, but you could fit some cool race scenes in each episode.
    Unfortunately, judging by most of the drivel on TV; I have a hard time imagining it happening with anything resembling decent writing

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Delci

They have several plot-possibilities if they were to turn it into a series, or even a miniseries...I wouldn't mind seeing the Burnston Burns 'balloon incident' which halted Icaras' development or maybe even if they went in-depth about the 'grey goo incident' (?) at Talon's Junction...
    Something creepy they could reference to is the fact that the people in the stadium at Basilico aren't actually real (I think), because the description says that they are 'crowd avatars' (like holograms?) and that Nova Scotia was abandoned due to some kind of outbreak. WipEout meets I Am Legend?
    The result? Speed Racer X on crack.

Sony has lost so much money in the games division that I wonder if they might not ultimately resort to the movies and telvision portion of the operation to produce profitable content based on their game franchises. Content ownership is where they have been most successful since their decline in general electronics hardware leadership. Hardware and content tend to be competitive against each other in the market, what's best for one being what's worst for the other. Content freedom for hardware, restrictive content control for content owners. Sony sits on both sides of the fence.

----

It is rare that high-quality film or tv is ever made from games; what usually happens is a lot of flashbang visuals with the quality of writing sacrificed to those SpecialEFX. Anyone who wants to have their intellect or emotions engaged instead of getting only sensory overload is disappointed. Because of the high level of player control and interactivity, the games are even better for sensory overload than any movie could be, so I would prefer that no movie or tv series ever be made from WipEout.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Delci

That's true...I can picture a WipEout Michael Bay flick with a Single Race event scene that would look more like an Eliminator challenge in Phantom class.
    At the same time, podracing comes to mind...
    If they tried to impletment the 'emotion-yanker' concept into a W0 series, I bet it would be in the form of 'Contender Eliminated' with tears and the modern bloodthirsty touch.
    In this case, you're right. WipEout probably won't be using anti-gravity over the red carpet anytime soon.
    Last edited by Delci; 25th March 2008 at 08:14 PM. Reason: incomplete

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    DJTECHNO

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    Sony has lost so much money in the games division that I wonder if they might not ultimately resort to the movies and telvision portion of the operation to produce profitable content based on their game franchises. Content ownership is where they have been most successful since their decline in general electronics hardware leadership. Hardware and content tend to be competitive against each other in the market, what's best for one being what's worst for the other. Content freedom for hardware, restrictive content control for content owners. Sony sits on both sides of the fence.

----

It is rare that high-quality film or tv is ever made from games; what usually happens is a lot of flashbang visuals with the quality of writing sacrificed to those SpecialEFX. Anyone who wants to have their intellect or emotions engaged instead of getting only sensory overload is disappointed. Because of the high level of player control and interactivity, the games are even better for sensory overload than any movie could be, so I would prefer that no movie or tv series ever be made from WipEout.

If its one thing.. Its another

always hearing that a company won't produce something cause of money!

all the movies out there from... well lets see.
    comic books, novels... oh and video games.

I don't think Sony needs to even have a part in making a movie. maybe the part in funding and a bit more.
    Not paying some director or producer of there choice to make something.

If it comes up.

somebody does a movie...
    let it be where Arial Tetsuo and the begining of the whole thing.

Hell, the director for Wing Commander. get him to do a movie for this thing. bam.

PSN ID
    TearsToShreds

Making Wipeout into an anime would be the last blow to make me steer away from the series. Anime and the likes are abominations of mankind, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Muse View Post
    Anime and the likes are abominations of mankind, in my opinion.
    A possibly excessive sweeping generalisation.

Dammit, I still haven't seen Porco Rosso. Love the seaplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven236 View Post
    The idea of a live action movie may not work, as movies based on games tend to be bad.
    Indeed they do. Horribly horribly bad. Some of the games deserve much better. Not all. But some.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Delci

It would be simple, if they just broke down the concepts and plot of Air Gear to its core, turned Air Treks into anti-grav teams and did some background on the more...'famous' pilots (Natasha Belmondo ftw?).
    It could even be set way back, when the earliest teams were founded, showing the events leading up to or between each game - maybe each different 'episode' (in the event of a miniseries) or 'season' (in the event of a long-term series) as a different year.
    ...I'd still like to know how Burnston Burns choked on a balloon... xD
    Last edited by Delci; 29th March 2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: rearrangement of words

PSN ID

agree with the muse, but not with the same integralistic position
    as i child i was a big dragonball fan..

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Nadia_Elenova

Talking about anime as a genre or drawing style is pointless. It's like you've seen Jackie Chan's Rush Hour 3 and you say cinema can't tell a good science fiction story.

PSN ID
    backroom

I think that it should be primarily CGI but the pilots and key characters should be based on the person providing the audio for that role to make them appear more lifelike.

A recent idea I had relating to this was that it should map the development of AG technology, particularly in AG racing including 1-3 races from each league, including Fusion's final race when the controversy is revealled to the masses and how they handle it. Then the revelation of the 'illegal' racing and the FX150 followed by Pure, HD and Pulse in the same manner as pre-fusion before including some developmental features for the next game in the series, to suggest the next stage of evolution for the die hard wipeout fans to think about.

Although this is a very good idea, I can't see Sony allowing someone to do it, or even doing it themselves.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

"The Last Race" was handled sort of like this: Rogue datacast networks bust into Race HQ, find evidence that pretty much most of the F9000 was rigged, larger datacasts pick up the story, the raid gets filmed on the Jumbotrons, fans go apeshiat and the pilots are forced to abandon the race.

For a less half-assed explanation from an official source, click hither.