Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scraping

PSN ID
    Curufinwe5503

Default Scraping

One of the best bits of Wipeout 2097 was getting just close enough to the wall to scrape against it sending sparks flying, but without losing speed. In Wipeout 3 scraping actually increased your speed which was a bit weird, but at least you could still do it.

In Wipeout Pulse it seems impossible to scrape against the walls and I think that's a change for the worse. But perhaps I'm just not good enough to get close enough to the wall to to barely touch it without losing speed.

I think the turbo-scraping in WO3 was an interesting and useful technique, even though I'm not good enough to do it consistently well, but I think most people hate it and are glad it's gone. Not that I think the majority is always right.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

I'll take any day scraping (with no boost) over 'gluing'

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

I agree, Zargz. I have decided I don't care much for the wall collision mechanic in Pulse-- though luckily, it's pretty much a non-issue in good time trial runs!

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

a scrape should slow the ship. it's friction after all.. but it is somewhat exaggerated in pulse

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

I noticed that the "glue" effect in Pulse only occurs when your ship's nose touches the wall. Not when it's just the rear engine/ wings/ stabilizers. Often enough you get away with a scrape, but more often than not your ship gets tilted towards the wall because of the friction at the back, thus the nose scrapes -> severe speed loss. Now I can adjust my racing line to that, however, it's completely unrealistic because at WO's velocities and ship's weights the engines would break off or damage the tracks' boundaries rather than act as a pivotal point.

WO1 had the nose-sticking mechanic also. It wasn't happening to me when I got involved in the Medusa-Lunar Karbonis record fest, but earlier when I was less familiar with the game, it did and I hated it. It put me off playing the game, so it was a long time before I came back to it and got better. The nose can stick to the wall and bring you to a complete stop in WO. Does it do that in Pulse?

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Actually I don't think it grinds you to a complete halt just severely cripples your speed. The walls in Wipeout 1 are the reason I don't play it much.
    Last edited by Rapier Racer; 4th March 2008 at 05:17 PM.

Perhaps you were not as unskilled as I was; the nose of my racecraft would stick to the wall and either come to a complete stop or judder in little jumpbumps about a foot at a time at about one per second. For all practical purposes, I was stopped. I was, of course, nearly sideways across the track at the time.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Sorry I mean in Pulse the walls don't do that.

Ah. Clarity ensues.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

wait wait wait... you got a BOOST from scraping in WO3?! It never connected with why I would suddenly find myself going faster every now and then around corners or something D: I LOVED that you could drag along the wall in XL/64/3, and was severely disappointed with Pure and what little I've played of Pulse so far.

Considering there are downloadable packs and stuff, I wonder if the game could theoretically be patched to fix this problem... SCEE MUST know that Wipeout has a dedicated fandom, I can't imagine they don't keep tabs on consumer response to it... Granted I doubt it could ever happen, it'd would be cool if we could rally together and get them to come up with some kind of downloadable fix

Wow, so something like this actually exists. I would always "wtf?!" whenever I skimmed a wall in Pure and ended up getting a little speed boost (I always thought it was in my head). I think it's a great addition, too bad it's not in pulse. Did anyone out there ever master WO3 scraping too the point where they were using it consistently on a track to get better TT times?

I bet Al Sartwell [JABBERJAW] did!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Scraping, snaking...

Why do all of the 1337 techniques start with "S" and end with "ING"?!

Is it because of the "Samus" and her encounters with the "Ing" in Metroid Prime 2? Oh noes!

By the way, just for my curiosity's sake, anybody know a video of the scraping-moves-ya-faster thing?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

[wise-ass on]No, but I know of the start-WO3-and-see-for-yourself thing [wise-ass off]

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

I love scraping walls ala 2097 it gave such an incredible feeling : it was quite easy to reproduce on every part of the tracks ( the final long right curve from Sagarmatha anyone?) especially with the non-piranha ships. The counterpart of wall scraping with those ships is to be a bit too arcadey (imnsfho : Al if you read me ), Piranha it's less wall scrapes and imo more like a simulation.
    W3O added turbo scrapes on walls in certain circumstances : to get them easily when you got a left curve, be close from the right wall but not too much, twist your negcon on the left to follow the curve and hit your right airbrake: if you did it perfectly at the right distance of the right wall you gonna scrape it and get a pretty interesting turbo boost.

Honestly i think we were very close to have those wall scraping on Pulse : i got the UMD demo of Pulse which has a complete different gameplay to the original we all have bought recently. How to describe that clearly with my words? Ok, let's say this : if your ship is staying low on the ground and you hit a wall you will have a real mega glue effect ( worst than original) but if you got the chance to be a bit higher than normal ( like after a bump, a drop or simply after getting a boost due to a BR you often take off ) you allowed to scrape the walls and have an awesome turbo ( ala W3O but easier to acheive). But again after the 1st moments of excitation thinking :' WOW unbelievable gameplay!!!' i find it too arcadey, just too easy to use in any occasions. Honestly i prefer original Pulse we all have, it's more technical to master it.
    my €0.02

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

Quote Originally Posted by phl0w View Post
    ...at WO's velocities and ship's weights the engines would break off or damage the tracks' boundaries rather than act as a pivotal point.
    not unless its a titanium composite of sorts

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

by this point in the wipeout universe they've had flying vehicles for over 100 years and have taken a stab at colonising mars
    at a guess I'd say that they would have invented some new materials that are stronger than anything we have today

I've always thought that hyperfilament [diamond crystal monofilament] bundles cast inside titanium would be a good structural material.