Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: w'o"2097 on Mac OS (9 or X)

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Is it a PS3 official controller? (SIXAXIS, DUALSHOCK) I have the driver for Windows and it works, but I don't know of any for MAC.

no, thrustmaster wired controller

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

al, take a screenshot (Command-shift-3) and lemme see what it looks like. I have 2097 for mac and I had it half-running on my 6500 a while back. I think my friend had it up and running on his Mac Mini at one point... you may just need to drag one of the folders to your hard drive and launch it from there

I need to get a disk (which I do not have) of mac os9 or 10 and launch the classic environment. I think I can get one from the school. thanks guys

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

to run "classic" you need to have a PowerPC based mac, and it has to run behind OS X.... but I thnik the newer version of OS X no longer even supports classic.

If you have 10.4 or earlier, you have to try to launch classic, then I believe it asks you for an os9 cd if you don't have 9 installed already. Best to update to 9.2 to make sure you have the most up to date system software and stuff. I've got a plethora of classic mac stuff if you need anything, al.

check you pm eric, thanks

Ok got the classic working, but when I select "play game" The intro loads up, then after the intro is done, it goes back to the main blue mac screen. Any ideas why this is happening?

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    designer_79

Wow, until reading through the forum, I didn't even know 2097 for MAC exists ... the higher resolution over the PC-version was a given, because the standard resolution for Mac's is 100 dpi ... Anyway, downloading from deliver2mac.com ( why the hell is 2097 more expensive than WOHD from the PSN-store ;-) ) ... I also downloaded the PS3-controller driver for MAC , Thank you so much for the find Darkdrium

After getting home from work I'll try to get it running, to sort out all questions related to the OS, and let you guys know ... I still use a 5-year old Powerbook G4 (no Intel machine) running on OSX 10.4.11 (latest and last update of OSX 'Tiger'). So I will also install the Classic environment and check every possible setting.

Back in teen-years memories WipEout nostalgia , Hail to the fat cat *pure excitement*
    Last edited by designer_79; 20th February 2009 at 05:07 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    designer_79

Default No 'Classic-OS' needed

OK guys, I can give you an update (couldn't wait until getting home , so my work suffered badly today )

Step by step - guide as follows:

1. Open the downloaded *.dmg file by doubleklick , normally right after download a .dmg file activates automatically.

2. There should be 2 folders within the dmg , one contains the manual in pdf. format and a readme file in rtf format. The other one is the actual game-folder containing all the data

3. Drag the folders anywhere you want on your harddrive (usually you want to place the game-folder in the applications folder of your mac)

4. Start the game by doubleclicking the 'wipeOut 2097' icon in the copied game-folder

5. A startup-screen will appear where you can choose Resolution and frame rate (and aaaaw i still like that sweet Psygnosis-Logo they delivered awesome games for the PS1 , anyone played G-Police???)

- Hit play game and there we go ...

My game is starting and running flawlessly under MAC OSX 10.4 (Tiger) on a PowerBook G4 , no need to install or run the Classic environment ... I am using the latest update 10.4.11 , but the specs say it will run under OS9 too
    ... The site i purchased from (deliver2mac.com) though remark, that it was designed for PPC's and might not run on a Intel-driven Mac ...

Updates on the use of a PS3 controller together with the PB will follow.

Hope this info helps, attached are screenshots of the installation process.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    designer_79

Default Use of the PS3 controller together with a MAC

OK ond so for everyone who ever wondered how to use the original PS3 controller together with your Mac , it works ... ... Therefor no need to buy new hardware for the gaming experience off PS3.

Actually you need 2 little programs (one is free , the other one unfortunately not).

Start with installing this little tool developed by a guy who wants to run every kind of Controller on a Mac ... (it's the one you get for free)

- http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/Pro.../Ps3Controller
    ( Darkdrium found this one, so all credits to him )

Unfortunately the guy somehow stuck with the early version and it only makes the controller just recognizable by your Mac. To make it fully operational (and customizable) you'll need a second tool , that you can find here

- http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...companion.html (Demo version works 40 days afterwards u need to register for 15$ so in total the legal way of WO nostalgia will sum up to 30$)

This program will add an entry to your preference pane, recognize the PS3 controller connected via USB cable, (no bluetooth suport yet) and make every button customizable to every desired key or key-combination.
    I tried the WO2097 in-game option for the settings of the joystick and it only works if you installed this gamepadcompanion thingy before. But it works very well, even the sticks work smoothly ...

Hope this answers all your questions related to play the MAC version of Wipeout 2097.

There's one letdown though, although it seems not very hard to make a port to the MAC, the guys of VP somehow messed up the textures, everything seems faded out with some greyish tone. The 'F-Keys' let you turn on/off the sky, the engine trails of the ship, so experiment a little with these settings, but the textures always look the same kind of faded ... The game itself runs very very smooth though. And it's really an alternative for everyone who for some reason cannot play the PS1 original anymore or wants a WO2097 on a laptop to play this piece of nostalgia everywhere.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    designer_79

Another small update , just read that only the latest Version (1.3) of Wipeout for Mac will run under OSX. The earlier versions haven't been 'carbonized' and need the classic environment to run. So for everybody, try to download the latest update and give it another run under OSX.
    Last edited by designer_79; 23rd March 2009 at 04:28 AM.

OK, XL is now up and running, it runs and looks excellent, plays like ps1 xl, only smoother. It didn't seem to matter where I set the FPS, it ran the same on all settings, and it was faster than 30.

How do it get to controller config on my mac mini ? there doesn't seem to be a controller config option there.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Press down arrow until "options," hit enter, and then press the down arrow again to highlight "controller setup" and hit enter.

I just use the keyboard. Were you referring to setting up something else, like a Playstation controller?

No, the controller needs to be set up on the computer before entering the game.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

OS X should have a controller setup-option in the control panel...in OS 9 it was something called "InputSprocket" but I don't know how OS X handles stuff like that.