Thread: Do you ever take your foot off the gas?

PSN ID
    jacenat

Default Do you ever take your foot off the gas?

in all the wipeout games i played, i can't rememer ever letting go of the accelerating button. now in pulse @ phantom i discovered that several corners are MUCH easier to take when sacrificing a few seconds acceleration.

i have made 324 gold @ pure without ever taking my foot off the gas ... did i do something wrong?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

I don't play with my foot...Heehee, sorry I just had to say it!

I never let off the thrust in any wipeout game either. I will purposely bounce my ships off the walls if I have to, but I will never let up on the thrust!

PSN ID
    jacenat

i know, i did the same.
    but in pulse, the walls drag you to a halt almost immediately. i was so tired of crawling through chicanes that i just tried releaseing the thruster.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

I mostly keep my finger on the accelerator as well-- as do most folks here, if previous comments on other channels of the forum are any indication

In fact, I'll throw this out there in case SL is thinking about potential changes to future Wipeout games:

How about a control option for having the accelerator "always on"? I put a lot of wear on my PSP face buttons by having to push down so often and so hard on whatever button I assign to the accelerator-- plus, it's easier ergonomically if I don't have to constantly clench down on one of the face buttons!

PSN ID
    stin_wz

I always superglued on my little X and stays there, so I can get away from Asa!

stevie

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    IwannaTinkle

That's a good idea, though right thumb's cramps are always a good indication to take a break

That's actually one of the reasons why I like zone mode so much, you can just concentrate on airbraking and steering/pitch control.

Hope HD implements this option

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

It's a reason that I like Zone as well-- I can release my grip and focus on the D-pad and the shoulder buttons.

I'd LOVE to be able to do that with the time trial mode as well!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ZenDJiNN

Personally, i do whatever's best for whatever track i'm on or ship i'm using. I usually keep the gas on, but don't have a problem letting go if it makes an easier turn. I also try & use Side Shifting as much as possible on a lot of turns as it often helps make the turn a lot quicker.

In original Wipeout, with the heavy ships, you really need to employ gas-off as a technique as it`s the fastest way to deal with some turns. It made some corners in Pure more manageable, but I think Mad-Ice, who should know, says that it`s faster in the end never to do so if you`re good enough. You get the same advantage at Pulse, but certainly I don`t think it would be a good idea at Flash and slower classes. Maybe at Phantom, but I don`t know.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

Although I'm not as trained in Pulse as in Pure yet, I think I can say, that it's impossible to take Outpost 7's two 180° chicanes at full pelt. Everything else, again, a matter of practice and of course the perfect line, which got much more important in Pulse, not only for a good time but to keep your velocity at reasonable speeds too (stupid walls ^^)

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

I never let go of the gas till there was Pure.
    so i do it on Pulse as well

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

ill second what PhlOw said about outpost 7 , it's not like the airpin of Citta Nuova you can take it without leting off the gas cause you can 'cut' a little bit the corner itself: here on outpost the 2 chicanes 180° are massives & solid 100%
    Here i let off the gas

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Do you ever take your foot off the gas?
    I do.

I try not to, but if I'm at critical energy or way off line, I'll come off gas a bit to correct myself.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Stardragon88

Outpost 7! First time I saw those chicanes I just kept on going straight and was wondering where all the track went.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

same here!
    it was yesterday on infra.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Haha zargz!
    I saw the arrows the first time