Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old player, new here.

Default Old player, new here.

Hello, i've just found this website and the seeing the league tables and some of the amazing videos has inspired me to get back into 2097. Over the years i've had wo1, 2097, wo3, Fusion and Pure, my favourite has always been 2097.

Looking at some of my old records from ancient memory sticks it turns out i used to be pretty good, but i'm going to try and improve each record before i post times.

So i'm practising Talon's Reach with the Piranha on Phantom now, and i've almost reached a 2 minute SR time (2:01:80) and have clocked under 20 seconds for a SR lap (0:19:80). Is anyone else still active on the 2097 tables?

Now, i'm just waiting for my Negcon to be delivered, i've not used one of these before, it looks fun haha.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Welcome to the forum, Milanese!

I have XL, not 2097, but I'd imagine if you beat anyone's records, you'll see that table get very active again!

thanks! hehhehehe, well i've managed 21st place in the laptime so far, although i don't know if i'll get into the top 5 i'll have a good shot ;-)

If you get into the top 3, there will be a nest of hornets stirred up! And vespas, too.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Helllllooo thhhherrrrrrrre!

hi.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

wellcome a board Milanese

1st advice : if you want to enter top 10 you MUST get a Negcon controller : this is the ultimate controller. get one into ebay theres not so rare actually

2nd : practice leads to perfection ... so be prepared to spend hours and hours on the best wipeout games ever ( imo )

PSN ID
    elementfortytwo

Hi Milanese!
    my advice: at first, practice in Time Trial rather than Single Race, it's rather annoying to have your perfect laps spoiled by a lucky missile

Hey! Thanks for the warm welcome

My negcon just arrived today but it seems it doesn't work, its new in the box so its kind of annoying!

There's nothing special you have to do with a negcon to make it work with a PS2 and 2097 is there?

Cheers

Edit: damnit i just tried it on a psone and it doesn't work there either so i'm gonna return it.
    Last edited by Milanese; 1st August 2007 at 12:12 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Negcon. I know I should be more of a well-played gamer, but I have no idea what that is. Please don't look less of me because of this!

Its a crazy ps1 controller that twists in 2 halves, the twisting feature is used for turning in a few old racing games like wipeout and ridge racer. Although i haven't actually used one yet (mine arrived broken) i can imagine 2 benefits...

1, being able to hold various degrees of a steady turn like a wheel controller.

2, freeing up the dpad to solely be used for pitch.

i can't wait for my replacement to arrive arghhh!

that`s exactly it - you can control steering and pitch independently of each other. Sorry about your bad neggie, must be very disapointing but it will be worth it when you get a good `un.

It just arrived! I've seen a few people mention things like max lock and adjusting the sensitivity of their negcons here, can any kind soul advise me on how to do that?

Edit: Ok found them, for some reason i didn't think to look in the controller setup menu haha.

Edit again: This controllers great and i'm enjoying practising, but sometimes i seem to be scraping a wall when i'm clearly in the middle of the track. I've tested this by just starting a race (piranha/phantom/TT) and going very slowly along the first straight, after a few scrape noises my shield has gone down! Anyone else experience this weird problem?
    Last edited by Milanese; 2nd August 2007 at 03:20 PM.

I think the scraping is your ghost ship getting confused and not following the correct route. here is an old thread that mentions it. I think it`s only an occasional issue, but the weird thing is it actually takes away your real ship`s energy, if I remember correctly.

Ahh thanks for that, sounds about right as it doesn't seem to be an issue for me in Arcade races. "suicide ghost ship" hehe

I just have to say to anyone on the fence about getting a negcon, do it! I'm finding it quite tricky un-learning 10 years of dpad wipeout but already my times are equal after only a few hours. I'm looking forward to the next few days of practise.

This is how wipeout should be played, i wish i had one of these years ago.

After a few days of i've managed to get my race time down to 1:43:50 (SR, Piranha, Talon's Reach, Phantom).... 16th place! I'm well chuffed but will carry on practising.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

I am glad you received it ( the good one) and now it's time for you to make your experience running with it.
    A tip when you got that bug of ghost ship in TT, just reload your savegame and it will be ok. One pb tho you will loose your ghost ship but you ll beat it eventually This is a never ending story
    Top 10 ranking is the goal for Talon's : keep the good practise up

Default New times & a couple of Questions

Nice one Asayyeah!

Yep after a bit of practise i've reached 10th on SR laptime and 13th on SR racetime on Talon's reach.

My best laptime is 17.7, i'm really not sure how i'm going to knock another 3 seconds off that! To get 14 seconds you must be using the force or something hehe.

Well any tips would be appreciated, i never airbrake, always accelerate, i do the one big flying shortcut and hit all the other speed pads except for the ones i miss because of the jump. When you do the shortcut do you pull the nose up until you land or how are you guys doing it?

Cheers.

P.S. Whats the benefit to using the brake tapping technique as opposed to just normal steering? Is brake tapping something specifically done on speed pads? Not sure if i'm getting the idea of them.
    Last edited by Milanese; 29th August 2007 at 12:59 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

i am going to host video from my 14.4 and a race time through youtube, you ll be able to view what is my line.

About the braking technique : when you hit ON a speedboost the left or right airbrake very quickly you ll see your speed increasing a little bit more than usual way. that gave you an extra speed that you have to maintain it during the whole lap.
    About the shortcut on the 1st hill, i always hit quickly my right airbrake before getting through the curve , that gives me an impulsion to jump better without having to up my nose too much ( wasting time and also wasting speed).

my set up on my neggie are 0/0/6.

Pirahna after hitting quickly an airbrake came back to his neutral position by itself so that you no need to oversteer or counterbraking in that case, which is very important not to loose speed)

ill get you the link here about youtube
    or msn me if you want the non compressed videos ( you tube is S**** for that)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Click here for :
    14.4 laptime
    TT 1.15.7 racetime

Blimey, totally insane videos man! Especially the 'best of' selection with all 'the hits' hehe. Thanks for sharing.

I had my negcon set to 8 0 0 because i thought having no deadzone would make it more reponsive, but i tried it with 0 0 6 and somehow it feels better, kind of tighter.