Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Wipeout Pure and fantastic firmware 3.11

Default sadly not m8

Quote Originally Posted by Frances_Penfold View Post
    Just read through the entire thread to make sure I understand the issues-- so the effects of the newer firmwares are ONLY with respect to multiplayer? Single player (time trials, etc.) works fine?

I'm disappointed that 3.5 doesn't resolve the problems but then again, I'm not surprised. It'll be a tough choice what to do when Pulse comes out since (as others have pointed out) the game will almost for sure require a firmware upgrade.

If single player Pure isn't affected, I'll be inclined to do the upgrade for sure. If it is... maybe a second PSP? Hmmm.
    ive never known anyone who has the game who is at my level, and so neva used multi player. 3.5 DOSE NOT resolve the issue for single player.

im concerned bout using a hack firmware with the whole could get bricked issue!

PSN ID
    damonhill0

I have to say, I was as worried as you sound about "bricking" my PSP. I read through all of the material provided with the firmware and there really isn't a whole lot to worry about. You absolutely must follow the instructions to the letter though.

Default buttttt

thing is, i have fw 3.5 no downgrader available i believe. im screwed!
    Last edited by Asayyeah; 25th June 2007 at 02:38 PM. Reason: unecessary quote been removed

Timezone
    GMT -5

As of yesterday, EVERYONE can downgrade:

"Devastation strikes! The “N00bz!” have yet again left the entire PSP community in a state of awe. Without a doubt, in the coming days, everyone will have the opportunity to downgrade, enjoy glorious custom firmwares, homebrew, and much more… This newly discovered exploit works in a similar fashion to the GTA save game hole; however, this time ’round you’ll require a legal UMD copy of Lumines."

http://www.psp-hacks.com/2007/06/23/...cted/#comments

Uncreated
    Last edited by The Uncreated; 24th June 2007 at 02:21 PM.

Default :(

dnt have it, cant afford the money atm to buy it
    i think when the hack is finalised and finnished and done ect. then ill dl it ready and hope that someone will lend that weird game to me so i can use it!

gd work though. hush hush!

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated View Post
    Somebody said it caused graphical issues in one of the download tracks, too. We're aware of them, but have no idea what has changed in the firmware to cause them. Trouble is, the development team are so busy with Pulse right now that a fix is not the priority.
    Do you mean the fix would come from SL? Like patched versions of Gamma and Delta packs? I would have thought the problem came from the firmware, with Sony changing things without testing backward compatibility, and that a firmware update would fix everything.
    Even in that case, maybe it would be SL people who would be more competent to find what causes the bug and then inform Sony people.
    But I prefer to think that Sony are the bad guys and SL my idol!
    So it would be good if Sony developers could run Pure with some tools running, checking for what the game uses in the firmware, and fix everything. Plus it would increase the chance of us having a fix as soon as possible, SL having better things to do at the moment. (so excited about Pulse right now!)

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

When the OS causes a problem with some application, it's typically the job of the app developer to inform the OS developer of any issues that recent changes have caused. Along the lines of "this change you made over here has caused our software to change in behaviour like this". When you've got a definite set of applications (the PSP game library in this case) you'd like to think that the OS developer would use them as a backwards compatibility testing suite, but as the number of PSP games increases with time the task of checking each new OS version would become gargantuan, so they probably skip it entirely. They might check to see that the game still loads, but not likely too much beyond that.

The point being, SL are probably the only ones really qualified and outfitted to determine what the firmware updates have broken in Pure, and they're really busy right now!

At least, that's the way software development works on my side of the pond. There could definitely be some differences in how they do things over there. 8 )

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

one can only hope..

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Well, it looks like PSP custom firmware will be no more, at least in its current form.

http://boards.ign.com/psp_general_bo...5075063/p1/?14

http://www.dark-alex.org/

Good riddance, I say. Though I do hope that Sony develops their PSP firmware to a greater extent in the future, implementing some of the features that Dark Alex did.

I guess that leaves us with even fewer options for running Wipeout Pure

I am treading water right now with an older (official) PSP firmware version, wondering what the heck to do with Pulse arrives.
    Last edited by Frances_Penfold; 3rd July 2007 at 02:54 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Returning to the issue of Wipeout Pure, and the firmware problems... the release of the new PSP in September at least gives us an excuse to get a NEW PSP with current firmware to run Wipeout Pulse, while keeping an OLD PSP with a lower firmware version that allows normal run of Wipeoout Pure.

I guess that's something

I think I have v.2.8 or so on my PSP right now and have no plans to upgrade and risk proper play of Pure.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

I don't know, I'm running 2.8 myself and I get some strange behaviour every now and then.

For example, I can't finish a Descension tournament. I've tried 2 or 3 times and the PSP always crashes partway through. I did it on Vector once a while back, but I haven't managed it on Venom yet. Quite annoying, getting most of the way through a 12 race tournament and then having the PSP hang on me.

Had my sound go wonky after coming out of sleep mode, just using the mp3 player.

I get the impression that by upgrading my firmware I just get to choose what kind of odd behaviour I'm going to get. Very strange.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    borell

Hi Task and Frances_Penfold,

upgrading your PSP with official firmware does not mean that you have to update to the latest version.

Maybe 3.00, 3.01, 3.03, or 3.10 could be of interest. As far as I know, there are no problems with the extra packs for Pure using mentioned versions, but you will be able to enjoy playing the game at 266 MHz. Just a thought...

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Are you saying there is a place where I cant get the 3.01 official firmware? I want back the first firmware release that contained the UMD auto boot disable option because I had that for a long time before upgrading and things were great I think it was 3.01 I can't find a features list detailing what it had

Timezone
    GMT + 1

If you find out how to downgrade your PSP to official firmware then let me know. I always thought you couldn't downgrade a PSP to a lower official firmware version from the one you have installed...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    borell

Hi everyone,

well... In my response, there was never a discussion about downgrading. Both Task and Frances_Penfold wrote that they are on version 2.8.

The rest will not be discussed here.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Well, I traded in my PSP today for a less-used one, and it came with 3.02 firmware!

And I turned off the Auto Boot UMD!

So that'll answer someones question. I'll try out a Descension tourny tomorrow and see how that goes.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by borell View Post
    upgrading your PSP with official firmware does not mean that you have to update to the latest version.

Maybe 3.00, 3.01, 3.03, or 3.10 could be of interest. As far as I know, there are no problems with the extra packs for Pure using mentioned versions, but you will be able to enjoy playing the game at 266 MHz. Just a thought...
    Thanks for the info, Borell, I was wondering about this.

I guess I'm just scared to adjust the firmware AT ALL given the horror stories about disrupting Pure. Getting access to 266 Mhz could be nice though I suppose.

In visiting official PSP websites I'm not seeing the option to download 3.00-3.10 though it DOES seem possible to obtain 3.30 through 3.51 and 2.01 to 2.81. Perhaps Sony doesn't like 3.00-3.10 for holes it made in the firmware?

Here is a link:
    http://uk.playstation.com/help-suppo...ail/item54261/

In any case, I'll probably just stick with 2.8 for now. If folks know a LEGITIMATE way to get 3.00-3.10 please let me know! (I'm NOT interested in custom firmware nor in this thread evolving into a discussion of firmware downgrading, please )

Thank goodness there is a new PSP revision coming in September, when Pulse is released. I'd be pissed to have to upgrade my firmware and ruin gameplay of Pure simply to have access to Pulse.

Timezone
    GMT + 8

I can probably find you download links for 3.00-3.10 mate, but definitely not from official sources ie. Sony, as they pull down any old firmwares as soon as they upload the newer revisions... It's not in their interests to host older versions that contain the various exploits etc of course!
    ---
    Update... found the firmwares you want between 3.00 and 3.10... site isn't official but is definitely reputable, I have gotten countless firmwares off there as I have done quite a bit of messing with my PSP over time and never had a problem with any of their files:

3.00 - http://dl.qj.net/PSP-3.00-Firmware-P...1369/catid/163
    3.01 - http://dl.qj.net/FW-3.01-update-PSP/...1396/catid/163
    3.03 - http://dl.qj.net/PSP-Firmware-3.03-P...1844/catid/163
    3.10 - http://dl.qj.net/PSP-Firmware-3.10-P...2460/catid/163

None of these are custom firmwares, they're all the originals. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Task; 17th July 2007 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Multiple sequential posts combined!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    borell

When I need official firmware, I download it from qj.net. I trust their site, and their files, completely. Good choice of site, angelino.

For the moment I have 1.50, 2.71, 3.01, 3.02, 3.03, 3.10, 3.11, 3.30, 3.40 and 3.50 downloaded, most of them off of that site. So far I have made over 20 firmware changes, and I have never had problems with flashing.

Timezone
    GMT + 8

What firmware do you currently run? Did you see that a new release group has stepped in to take DAX's place and have made a custom 3.51!
    Last edited by Task; 17th July 2007 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Quotation Eliminated!