Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is the original Wipeout the best?

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

love that too
    ... and wouldn't be a betrayal to the "spirit" of the game

Thumbs up Not the best, but one of the bests.

I really love the first WipEout.
    It's very challenging in despite of all its bugs (the physics especially), but it feels flawless as the same time.
    It has one of the best track design for me, and the game needs a lot of practite if you want to dominate the race.
    The soundtrack is really cool, all the tracks by CoLD SToRAGE are flawless and "Wipeout (Petrol)" is one of my favourite WipEout hymns.
    It's absolutely raw but it has an incredible primordial appeal that makes me feel amazed at every play.
    I really love the general design and the "retro" feeling.
    I love it .

what are the bugs with the physics?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Same here...my reaction:

BUGS IN WIPEOUT !???? What did I miss?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    SonicChaosX

This was the game that got me into the dance, electronic music genre. This was also the intro to my Wipeout Addiction. While IMHO it's nowhere near the best, it does hold the nostalgia factor. The Physics were beyond messed up and made the game WAAAAAAY more difficult than it had to be (seriously, I just touch the wall and I come to a dead stop? WTF?). Still it was fun and lead to improvements and my favorite down the road (I'm looking at you Wip3out).

Talking

Sorry, my fault !
    I've used the wrong english term, probably "imprecisions" would be better.

With this term I mean:

- the ship lose a big part of speed if you hit a wall, this is really frustrating;
    - the incredible boost that you could obtain if an opponent hits the back of your ship...excessive (more efficient than the regular boost weapon) !

But for the rest all feels perfect.

For that specific game, I like those physics, the game is much slower than the sequels (more slippery though), and needed a challenge, hence the difficulty with the walls. That is why I believe a large discrepancy in the leaderboards comes from. One hit, what, maybe two seconds lost. gives you a reason to stay off the wall. Xl was better, it gave you some leeway with the scraping, but a hard hit still stopped you, which is good. There are parts of hd where hard nose hits don't stop you, or slow you down as much (they do in pure and pulse though). IF they did slow you down more, you would see a larger gap between the top few pilots and the rest. For example, my time on cheng reverse is about 3 seconds behind yeldars, but with a woxl wall physics system, after watching his video and mine, he would be maybe 7 seconds ahead instead. I would like a happy medium of HD and wo1, that would be cool, A little more scraping than xl, but still the hard wall hits to arrest your speed more.

Mainly though, I like that in wipeout 1 because it seems to be almost impossible to hit a REAL perfect race, all laps the same time I mean

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

But I didn't hit any walls when I tried Altima VII TT best lap (Venom), and ran a really nice tight lap, and I'm 5 ****ing seconds behind your time!

Totally agree about the best way wall hits should affect speed. The walls that suck you in in the new games, in Pulse especially, are crap compared to scraping being allowed (with minor speed loss) IMO, and a hard wall hit should mess up your speed much more than it does.
    Last edited by MrSmadSmartAlex; 10th March 2011 at 04:41 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by JABBERJAW View Post
    There are parts of hd where hard nose hits don't stop you, or slow you down as much (they do in pure and pulse though)
    True, that's not very logical ! It seems that only wall's hits really counts (for real loss of speed and perfect lap achievement) !
    First wipeout's wall hits have too much effect IMO !

yes, a happy medium would be great with a new game. Hard wall hits should smash your speed. No getting sucked into the walls (hd/wo3/pulse). Maybe grinding more, not sure, but perfect laps should be noticed in your times significantly. Wipeout 1 was slow enough so a scrape I think would have made the game too easy (saturn version )

That altima time was a test of what could be done. There are many pitch up/down, brake light taps in that run. Straight racing I was much farther back before I figured out those nuances. Someone had entered a time, that we did not believe, and it turned out it was possible, and faster at that. However that time that was entered was actually a false time, or more acurately not a ps1 time. It was that ps3 version, which is different.

PSN ID
    Sphereshift

What I really like is the design of the tracks. Ok, maybe a bit too much "green" compared to others Wipeouts. But in generell, I really like the length of the tracks. Not as short as newer ones. Music is fine as well. Though the consequences of hitting the wall are a little to harsh imho.Though the first one is at the lower end of my personal Wipeout-sclae, I will always prefer it over Fusion : )