Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Site Progress

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Default New Site Progress

Hello everybody - thought I'd give you an idea of what's been going on behind the scenes for the last few months.

Development on the new site has been slow ideed - with our daughter arriving on new years eve I haven't had as much time on my hands as in the past.

Even so, I did think I'd have it finished around three weeks ago. However, I made a poor decision regarding the structure of the new record tables and I've had to go back and undo a lot of work. Due to that, despite spending around ten hours working on the site over this weekend I'm only slightly further forward than I was after the previous weekend's work!

Anyhow, here's what you can expect to see in the new version of WipeoutZone:

- Records for all versions of Pure.
    - Records for the Japanese version of Wipeout 3.
    - Record tables sortable by customisable criteria (for example, you could view Porto Kora over all games W3, W3SE and Pure, if you wanted).
    - Multiple records per track (you could have a record time in each ship, if you like).
    - Records are time stamped so you can see the most recently updated records.
    - Pilot profile page - vew all records over all games by any pilot.
    - Content search

There's probably more stuff going on than I can remember right now - I've been working on the site since before Christmas so, as you can imagine, I cant quite remember everything.

Right now I'm about 70% done with the records table code and, if it all hangs together nicely, I might make the bulk of the new site live when that's done, before completing some of the smaller stuff. The slow bit is trying to import all the old time data into the new structure and it's a painstaking process - so far only the 2097 / XL data has successfully been ported, so there's quite a bit still to do. (Every game and track now has a unique ID and matching that up with all the old data is a bitch)

Anyhow, that's a brief summary of where we're at right now - I figured it would be good to let everyone know where things are and to confirm that the new site is, in fact, on its way.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Sounds VERY sweet, Rob. Just take your time and make sure everything works perfectly

+1. Thankyou Rob, I`m really looking forward to this.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Sounds great, hope it all works out

PSN ID
    o_fluff

I'd completely forgot about that, kool.

Take as much time as you like. Seeing as it doesnt really need to be done by 2050 thats okay.

Well that certainly goes beyond the 'Piranha Switch'. yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!!!

lotsa new niceness. eagerly waiting.

Sounds great, infoxicated. Looking forward to it.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Sounds very cool indeed!

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

Multiple records per track: t3h win!

Maybe we could see what happens if you make ol' Al multi-record Talon's Reach on Phantom --- all on different music tracks. (ZZZT)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

This is a huge work Robb. Many thanks for the time you are spending for us .
    I am looking forward to those XXL table records !!

This is going to be a great addition to the site, thanks alot!

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Progress continues at a slow pace.

Due to home commitments and the fact it's a gloriously hot summer here, I'm working on the site on my laptop during my lunch hours at work. Admittedly that doesn't get a huge amount done, but it is keeping the ball rolling.

I'm hopeful that I'll be able to deliver the new site by the end of August, however we'll be moving server again in the not-to-distant future, so it might be that the site update wont happen until the new server happens anyway.

I'll keep you posted.

In your own time Robb
    Seriously though mate "thanks" all this for us "you legend" can't wait for the finished version, keep up the great work

Aye, in your own time, no rush.

Again, thanks for all the hard work, keep it up!

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Some good progress made this week - I'll be spending some time travelling to and from London on the train this weekend, working away on my laptop as I do so, too.

The site is still a bit rough and ready looking - there are plenty of things still to refine and lots of work still to do on converting the old records over to the new system. Anyhow, here's "work in progress" shot of the new look records page:

It's almost within touching distance... and only a year late, too!

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Wow, looking good Rob, even in its current state.

wow fantastic I love the "show only best times for each pilot" option, too. With multiple records possible, I thought of asking if we could have that, so some of the tables don`t have to be just something like:

Arnaud Senand Piranha
    Al Sartwell Piranha
    Alistair Douglas Piranha
    Arnaud Senand Qirex
    Alistair Douglas Qirex
    Al Sartwell Qirex
    Arnaud Senand Auricom
    Al Sartwell Auricom
    and so on, with us earthlings only getting a look in when they`ve run out of ships

Looking great, thanks for all your work

Will there be a way to show only times for specific ships [teams]?

It seems likely that the new tables will stimulate a whole new major round of competition, and the Wipeouts will be played in a volume and intensity that we've not seen in a long time. I hope so, anyway.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Well it`s started to take shape bit by bit and I`m looking forward to see it.

stevie