Thread: Future Wipeout track designs?

Timezone
    GMT -8

That Altima VII mini-sky-tunnel gets me to thinking ...

I know I'm bordering on Wipeout blasphemy by mentioning this, but wouldn't it be cool if there was some sort of track design that split vertically using different heights reached in a jump? I don't think it's been done in Wipeout before (all splits seem to fork horizontally), but it has proven itself as a design in Extreme G and F-Zero. So originality arguments aside, does that sound like it would work?

The dynamics would be difficult with speed classes and what-not, as a theoretically more desirable upper track would end up being easily reached on Phantom and impossible to get to on Vector, I'm sure nobody in their right mind would create a split section of track that is wholly undesirable in the first place (in the Wipeout universe anyway). So I guess I shot down my own proposal :roll: but I still think it would be cool.

OT I know, but I can't control where my posts wander in the late afternoon after a full day of work...

[oops. i didn't attach this reply post when i sleepily moved an offtopic post to its own topic. the following is by element42]

element42
    Senior Pilot

Posted: 13 Oct 2005 08:07 Post subject:
    Anulpha Pass sort of fits the bill. And one of the Vohl square tracks in Fusion had some 'drop down' splits. But I don't think that either of these are what you have in mind...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

oh great, Lance, thanks! now the original thread is also f*cked up! :

Hmm, as was stated in the other thread this was also done in Anuplha Pass on purE but personally I'm for simplification myself, I personally don't like the idea of split paths in a racing game at all, makes no difference to me which way round they go.

P.S. I know wipEout 1 had split paths in tracks like Korodera and Silverstream but Korodera's ones were very small like the split on Sinucit and Silverstream was a nightmare track that I pray never returns, unless they do a pure-alteration and make it a hell of a lot simpler like they did to Odessa Keys.