Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A fifth ship stat?

Timezone
    GMT -5

I'm guessing that this would be why you can't do it on EVERY track - you need at least a TINY downward slope on the starting grid to pull it off.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    eastrain

and yes, editing the files modifies the ingame stats...

now if only I could track down the folder structure for the wad files It might be possible to add whole new teams...

Apparently the US release has a pile of bugfixes and updates from the Japanese release and is thus broken into an excessive number of packs, the PAL release is much easier to work with, only having the data, front end, and front end data packs...

-Off-Topic-Sorta-

if progress was made of decrypting the addon pack wad files, we could stand a chance at creating new ships from these property files.

They appear to be encrypted, however not using the same signing as psp applications... who knows- that's a little out of my area of study...

*plays mod for the day :wink: *

defor... watch yourself buddy, myself included there's more than several peeps from SL here and I'm sure they don't appriciate you fooling around with their baby.

What you're upto isn't entirely legal 8O and therefore shouldn't be discussed here. However you are relatively new to the boards and I'm sure you'll be cut some slack.

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib
    ... simply by using pitch to push down the nose whenever I am on a long straight, when I fly over a speedup pad, or when I need to accelerate quickly out of corners. Try it for yourself - it might take a while to get used to with the analogue nub (don't know how it would work with the d-pad...), but once you are able to maintain your racing line while pushing your nose down, you'll see the results are overwhelming.
    Excellent... I'll have to try this

Default Re: A fifth ship stat?

Quote Originally Posted by Drakkenmensch
    ...As most of you surely remember, there was a ship stat in the FIRST Wipeout game that was never used again since 2097 when the shields became an important feature. That stat was MASS. How can mass be important in Pure?...
    Have you played WipEout Fusion? That stat Mass was shown there.

Timezone
    GMT -5

I stand corrected!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Sven-RIT

Quote Originally Posted by defor
    now if only I could track down the folder structure for the wad files It might be possible to add whole new teams...
    Also, hypothetically, if one were to hypothetically crack the dowload file structure, one could, hypothetically create a hypothetical "download" that creates a hypothetical custom soundtrack. Hypothetically.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    eastrain

Purist- fair enough
    I got myself into trouble once before with direct linking the pure website before it was out...

I realize the hypothetical-ness of the situation, but it's intriguing to work with making addons, mods, what have you for games that I enjoy- And since I firmly believe in buying copies of anything i mod, and makign that a requirement (where I can)- you know...

<RANT>
    I'm a designer, if I see something, I enjoy it for what it is, then I want to do my part to make it better, or at the least, show my vision.
    </RANT>

anyway- gotcha... how would you suggest proceeding with user-created content exploration- the other topics here seem to be more interested what to put into the game than how...

Hmmmm......
    Aerodynamics................. : : :
    Virtual crafts sliding in the air.............
    when something is in suspension................anti gravity............... 8O

Remenber one thing first, you are racing in anti-gravity crafts.

First, no gravity, so in a similiar space, you accelerate but when you want to stop, you have to reverse thrust, no gravity, no drag, don't stop, no matter your quantity of mass.

Second, no gravity, your craft maybe a cube, it's the same than a ferrari.

Is this correct

PSN ID
    elementfortytwo

air resistance. :roll:

Timezone
    GMT -8

But there IS gravity. Otherwise you'd have Descent game physics. There's just a repelling force that's probably some function of distance from the ground and the craft's current velocity and such.

I have some dificult to explain me in english, this is more technical, i have to consullt dictionary. Next time with more time, sorry. ops:

But air resistance, is probably.................................hmmmmmmmm mm...................
    complex.................the game as to be explained to think better

we have no gravity
    air, because we need, or not, oxygen bottles?

more mass, ,more dificult to turn....................
    greater mass, stop faster with gravity, no gravity i'ts the same, you don't stop, bigger thrust's to stop.

:wink: :radar

this is a anti-gravity game i think

Timezone
    GMT -5

It's not gravity that slows you down, it's air resistance. The reason why there's no slowing down the space shuttle isn't the lack of gravity, it's lack of air to cause friction.

lift versus gravity
    thrust versus air resistance

this is an equation so simple that put craft's in the air.

cut the first :?:

Erm, not sure I understand you there Maxx, but air resistance and gravity are 2 completely different concepts.

Air resistance is a function of the molecules that make up your craft coming into contact with the molecules that make up the atmosphere, they hit each other and rebound off of each other, as the air hits the front of your craft, it is rebounded 'forwards' that is away from the front surface of your craft, in return Newton's laws state that the molecules of your craft have to move backwards (or in this case slow down slightly) to compensate for the air molecules moving forwards. This has nothing to do with gravity it only involves the interaction at the molecular level.

Gravity on the other hand is a function of some as yet unexplained force. It involves 2 objects, each with mass; in our case your craft having a mass, and the planet Earth having a mass. Gravity functions by the fact that the mass of the Earth pulls your craft towards itself, by the same token the mass of your craft, pulls the Earth towards itself. The amount of movement is determined by the relative masses of the objects, so the Earth being bloody facking massive will exert a massive pull on your craft, but the craft having a mass will still pull the Earth ever so slightly, it's just completely unnoticeable at that scale. We know this happens because we can observe the Sun being pulled about in small circles by the orbits of the planets in the solar system. There is a theoretical concept of a particle called the 'graviton' appropriately which if discovered might make it possible for us to manipulate gravity's effects by concentrating or dispersing these 'graviton' particles as we need. But that's all nothing more than theory at the moment, here's the wikipedia entry on the hypothetical graviton particle for those interested in a brief summary of the concept and the trouble with integrating it with current physical models.

two diferent concepts that interact, when you have something in movement. As you have said the battle craft versus earth is greater than battle air resistance versus craft.
    When you have a supersonic warplane like F-15E, that is cx is almost nul, if you have no gravity and stop is engines:

It was a very long wait until it stop's, inverse of that, with gravity it falls down like a stone, with more speed than the speed it goes at the moment that it stops the engine.

i was trying to say that, with no gravity you have the greater problem resolved.

i think :)

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Sven-RIT

I'm not really sure what you're getting at....With gravity, as it's falling, its velocity is increasing. The horizontal component of the velocity decreases at the same rate as it would with no gravity, and the vertical component of the velocity increases from zero at a rate of 9.8m/s^2, no matter the mass of the craft. So with a negligible "cx" (air resistance?), the horizontal velocity would remain constant, and the plane would actually be accelarating, not slowing down at all.

The F-15 does indeed have a very low aerodynamic profile, so it would take a long time to stop just on air resistance, but they put airbrakes on the thing to let them slow it down faster...same with the Wipeout Craft.

exactly
    a big air brake, F-15 is a supersonic airplane the profile of the is designed for that purpose, low air resistance, not for high lift like the warplane A-10. So it's velocity to landing is faster than A-10, need the airbrake when is near the ground.

Even though air-resistance is negligible with a fighter-jet like the F15E it still is not related top gravity, in your post before mine you mentioned 'cut the first?' referring to gravity, this implied to me that you thought that by removing the ffects of gravity - that is destroying or transforming the graviton strings - you would also at the same time remove air-resistance, which is a fallacy as as long as there is still air infront of the craft there will be air-resistance, and with something with such a huge frontal profile as say the Triakis you will notice the effect of 'drag' because of air-resistance, it won't flow through the air as easily as say the Feisar which has a much smaller and more aerodynamic frontal profile. And believe me at the speeds those craft are going air-resistance should play a huge part, mainly in acceleration and ability to hold speed.

The airbrakes work so well because at those speeds sticking a big lump of metal into the oncoming air will slow you down bloody quick, at 500km/h or whatever a reasonable speed for a wipEout craft is, they will work much better than at only 100km/h where their impact will dramatically drop off. Put simply you cannot remove air-resistance, which would only be possible by racing in a vacuum anyway, because then the system the craft use to maneouvre (airbrakes and in previous wipEout games they had ailerons for normal pitch-n-roll) would cease to function effectively.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib
    no you cannot [accelerate just by pressing up], at least not at EVERY flat straight. try it at the starting line of sagarmatha. push down the nose without pressing (x). you won't move an inch. on what track have you experienced this? maybe it WAS sloping down ever so slightly.
    I'm sorry the reply to this comes so late but I couldn't test it and reply until now.
    Besides I hate being corrected when I am, in fact, right.

Yes you can start moving from v = 0 only by pressing UP. On every flat straight. In both directions of the flat straight (forwards and backwards). So no need of a slight slope. In fact, I finished a TT in Vector Sagarmatha with Triakis (low acceleration) by just using the nub. Not a single button.

The ony place where you can't accelerate from v = 0 by just pressing UP is an upwards slope. The acceleration you gain with this method is not enough to make your ship start moving.

I guess you just didn't have the patience to see your ship slowly accelerate. Granted, without speedpads, turbos or downwards slopes the ships won't make it faster than 30 km/h.

PSN ID
    madwiperII

what i like to do is go onto multi-player in wipeout fusion. park one ship still and get another ship to ram it like mad, i remember someone saying that because tigron has such a big mass and van uber so little you can nearly destroy it!! : piranah is exelent for that on pure too! (against some little weakling like ... harimau)