Thread: Does better music make you fly better?

Default Does better music make you fly better?

It does for me. When a track I love (like messij) comes on (or indeed anything by Cold Storage) my times and performance marketedly improve.

PURRRRREEEEE-IFIC

i think that also applies to me. maybe it's because you get absorbed by the game, or something like that (you know, you're flying your favourite craft hearing that great tune... :wink

i've also noticed that playing when hearing the fastest songs of the game, increases the "speed sensation" even more and it seems you're flying at lightspeed

I know for sure it does help me in other games (In burnout legends it really helps me a lot), but in wipeout It doesn't make a difference. Maybe when Messij will be available for the europe version (I still listen to it in my car)

I used to have a theory that I would play 3SE best with Xpander on to inspire me, and it was possibly true until I began to expect to do well just because Xpander was on, so it all fell apart. Very occasionally music can help me focus and become "absorbed" in the game, but generally I find music will only distract me if it does anything at all apart from enhancing fun.

The reverse is definitely true for me: that music tracks I dislike, or which cause a certain stress by themselves, make me fly worse.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by lunar
    music tracks I dislike, or which cause a certain stress by themselves, make me fly worse.
    I motion that we call this effect the "Nak's Acid Factor" :

I second that motion. One thing you can say for the track is that it`s appropriately named.

In Pure, Onyx is the track that is most likely to create that bliss-like "Xpander" feeling imo. I just wish the music tracks played continuously across races, as in WO3, but then what do I know about PSP programming? Nada. Nowt. So that`s only a wish-list item.

PSN ID
    madwiperII

absolutly. for eg: messij, firestarter, chronodrome, expander ect all that kind of stuff.

then i'm the odd one again, and must say that it doesn't help me a lot. Actually when it comes to breaking records, there's nothing like the sound of the engine, and aribrakes 'whooosh'ing left and right. I'd go nuts if i were to listen to....oh, we're talking about Pure. If I owned Pure, then i'd do the same anyway...

Timezone
    GMT -5

This morning, I credited a gold medal on Phantom Porto Kora to 'Messij' playing in the background. I could feel every nerve in my body pulsing in precise synch to the beat of that song, boosting my reflexes exponentially and allowing me to beat Icaras to the finish line

Anybody else noticing that Icaras is gunning for the "complete bastard" status that Triakis seemed to own all by itself not so long ago? :

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    KingTalo

Absolutely!

-KT

Only after listening to Cairodrome through Pure did I realize what I was missing in W'O". I had always played it at low volume, and now the house trembles to Cold Storage.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Oh dear... Wipeout... at... low volume?

*hugs*

All the wasted years...

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Does the music help me fly?

Without a doubt, yes.

When I hear Orbitals "Nowhere To Run" (Which I hope I will on Pure sometime) I play aggresive. It just slips my mind into a cold tactical track of thought.

PSN ID
    madwiperII

i love flying through katmoda 12 with papa neu gunie by the future sound of london on, makes you think that you are really in the future. it blows your mind away!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Like Shem I rather have the music turned off when playing Wipeout, especially when I try to beat records in TT. The soundtrack has a very distinct rhythm and speed - which mostly doesn't comply with my own. So usually turning it off helps me concentrate on the track rather than the exciting experience. The latter is great for playing through all the challenges, but it distracts from the aspects that belong to the pure racing part.

Ben

Timezone
    GMT + 5.5

Sometimes I turn off music and other times, when Elite Force comes on, my cornering lines become smooth and efficient. When the funny sounding song which has the "Fabric" logo comes on, I use more sideshifting and less airbrake. The Cold Storage songs dont make much of a difference. :wink:

PSN ID
    madwiperII

when cairodome comes on, it makes me think of the roaring crowds of people.l and makes me fly almost as good as auto-pilot/ AI ships!!

Timezone
    GMT -5

I've personally removed a lot of tracks from the playlist to increase the odds of getting Cold Storage tracks when racing. The only way a non-CS stays on the list is that it really stands out for me and gives me a rush, like Mean Red or Hellion