Thread: WO64 Tracks

Default WO64 Tracks

Although the track names are different between 2097 and 64, the Wipeout entry on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wipeout/ says that the WO64 tracks are essentially the same as 2097/XL.

Is this true, and if so, and can someone list which track in 64 matches to which track in 2097?

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

That be False, amigo! and welcome to the wo"zone!

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

The tracks LOOK totally different. A few though seem to be mirror versions of tracks from previous games. (Karbonis > Dyroness, Gare 'D Europa > Machion II) They still FEEL totally different from their older counterparts.

Either way, get the game.
    Playing WipEout on the N64's analog stick is lovely.

Default Thanks!

In another forum post here, someone said Terrafumos was the equivalent of Silverstream (from wipE'out")... without the snow maybe?

Having one track listed as being like a w'o" track prompted me to see if someone had the rest of the list.

Tangent:
    Having finally gotten mupen64 working at 30fps smoothly (100% speed it says), WO64 seems a HECK of a lot easier than w'o" or 2097.

But, its still pretty fun...

That alone makes me skeptical about the tracks being the same, but then again, its always best to ask the experts.

Thanks for the welcome...

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Terrafumos is definately NOT Silverstream without snow. It might have one or two similar turns. But there are no split paths, and it's generally a very fast track. But you'll figure that out when you play it.

And while the main racing might seem easy, The challenges more than make up for it. Trust me!

Default Done with mirrors?

Maybe that's what it is... mirror images of earlier tracks.

I just found the MIRROR cheat in wip3out:SE, and it has Gare D' Europa, so maybe I can confirm/disprove that Machaon II is a mirrored Gare D'Europa.

I wouldn't know about the N64 controller feel... I don't have an N64.

I bought the WO64 cart and manual on eBay a while back, and the manual has track maps in it, which I may try to match up against the other tracks, but I play using a dump of the cart and the mupen64 emulator on a Fedora Linux box with GeForce FX video and SB Live sound.

The best part of my setup is a GreenAsia PSx to USB converter allows me to use the Sony controllers as my Linux joystick so that all my Wipeouts (PS1, PS2, N64, PC, on emu or the physical machines) are all played with the same controller. It helps for a klutz like me.

Qoron IV is pretty nifty... I like the tunnel with the face on it. I know I haven't seen that anywhere else... so even if the track data was flipped, at least they put new stuff around it and redecorated.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Default Re: Done with mirrors?

Quote Originally Posted by ExileInParadise
    The best part of my setup is a GreenAsia PSx to USB converter allows me to use the Sony controllers
    Is there a link you can give me where I can buy or see this thing?
    I did a search but didn't find a thing

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

zargs try somewhere like this.
    I use the Boom brand one that they no longer carry, it works in windows, linux, and mac.
    and I know that skipper uses a smartyjoy plus, which I have read elsewhere is meant to be really good.
    I used to have a soyo kikyjoy, fine with a dualshock but it was crap for dance dance revolution so I sold it.

Default Google knows all

I found my PSx to USB converter through Google:

Just searched for "PSX to USB" and started shopping:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=%22PSX+to+USB%22

This GreenAsia came with completely unreadable docs (in Martian I think), but for Linux I just plugged it in and it worked.

jstest /dev/input/js0 let me figure out which PSx buttons were showing as which joystick button in Linux.

Using one of these adapters also lets me use the PSx control as a Linux joystick in ANY Linux game that reads joysticks, which is a bonus.

For mupen64, I use Blight's SDL input plugin which has a graphical config and reports that it is connected to a GreenAsia, Inc. Device.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I got one from ChipZone a few years back:

http://www.chipzone.com/shop/showdet...ID=25&CATID=14

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Cool! Thank you, guys!

Ummm...

Terafumos is Silverstream. It has the [slower path at the] split roads removed and the damnable double 180°-90° hairpin is a normal 90° turn. Likewise, the hard chicane at the end has been changed to a normal 45° curve.

Looking at the top-down renders of the WO64 tracks, Terafumos looks almost identical to our favourite WO1 track.