Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contender Eliminated

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

sweet idea! melikesit!

/ What? Russian dictators?

/ Hehe... I'm on a roll here. I've been silly in more than three posts the last ten minutes.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Quote Originally Posted by aesop
    Can someone tell me why there's no Contenders Eliminated stat.

I'm guessing because it wouldn't be a "stat".
    I mean, you can't really make a stat of "Average Number of Contenders Eliminated per race", it would be some long decimal number with no meaning.
    Similarly, if you just had a counter "Contenders Eliminated: XXX" then it wouldn't be a _stat_, it would just be a counter.

I'm actually pretty glad there's no counter for it. I've seen a lot of silliness in my time from people typing just to increase their "post count", can you imagine the silliness resulting from people who flew just to increase their "elimination count"?

In my view, it would add very little, and detract significantly more.

That's just me though. And I have it on good authority that I'm crazy. 8 )

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

it already counts how long you've spent looking at the stats screen!
    and it counts the number of times you've been destroyed, it makes sense that it should have tracked how many eliminations you were responsible for.

Quote Originally Posted by Task

I'm guessing because it wouldn't be a "stat".
    ---
    Similarly, if you just had a counter "Contenders Eliminated: XXX" then it wouldn't be a _stat_, it would just be a counter.
    ---
    I'm actually pretty glad there's no counter for it. I've seen a lot of silliness in my time from people typing just to increase their "post count", can you imagine the silliness resulting from people who flew just to increase their "elimination count"?
    ---
    In my view, it would add very little, and detract significantly more.
    Ah, so you hate the idea of post count raising too. Good. Let's completely forgo the idea of post count while I make my argument.

If you're talking against a Contenders Eliminated counter on the HUD, I agree with you. It would take away potentially vital screen space for a piece of information that doesn't even pertain to the game. I'm aware that such counters are in place for Eliminator matches and such, but there is no such thing in Wipeout Pure. Although, I would have to say that although people might race because they want to eliminate as many crafts as possible, it would inevitably make way for traditional racing.

However, if you're talking against a Total Contenders Eliminated stat in the Stats screen, I disagree with you. This is something that you hardly see at all unless you're bored and want to look at the stats screen. The number of crafts you have destroyed would be a very interesting and fun thing to look at. I'm pretty sure this is not what you're talking about, and in that sense I am letting you know of a different possibility.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

I can't speak for the others, but I definitely meant on the stats screen
    having it on the hud would be madness

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Sven-RIT

I did a race that had two eliminations in one lap yesterday. Lap 4 of Staten Park on Phantom, someone got eliminated by the AI, then a Medieval came around me just before the starting grid. And I had a Plasma Bolt He was toast before he crossed the line. It was my coolest elimination yet!

P.S. What's the "Distance Driven by the A.I." stat referring to? The distance the autopilot takes you? The distance your ship covers while looking at the post-race screen? What?

Timezone
    GMT -5

That refers to autopilot-driven distance, yes.

And even though the plasma bolt only does large damage that is not necessarily fatal, my introduction to Wipeout through the XL version has got me referring to a direct plasma hit as a "killshot"

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Sven-RIT

Against a Medieval, it basically is a "killshot" :wink: