Thread: Wipeout PC version

Default Wipeout PC version

Okay.. ive been play wipeout since i was 6 or 7 and im trying to have it work on my NT platform PC.. how do you get Wipeout to work on a windows XP???

you may have a hard time, because it was made for the current windows, its gone waaaay past those windows back in '95 unless u put win95 or 98 on then it wont work im afraid, unloess theres somebody who is wise in the way of computer systems, the they might be of some help, i had the same problem with novastorm

I havent been able to get the original wipeout working because it runs in DOS mode, but you can get 2097/XL to work by right clicking on the game .exe and selecting windows 95 or 98 compatibility mode. you might need the frame rate patch tho. Do a search for it on these forums

All you need is a DOSBox. It's prog that emulates the work of DOS so you can play old DOS games with your XP. Try using this one, and prepare to type in DOS commands.

Strange I looked on its website and it says the newest version (0.63) doesnt support wipeout (broken)

edit by Lance: quotation removed. read the guidelines, please.

Default PSX emulator

You are better off buying used copies of Wipeout and Wipeout 3 on disc for playstation and using a PSX emulator to play them. One that works well on my PC is PSXeven (works on XP). Go grab a Gravis gamepad pro too, it is a PSX controller USB for PC, works with XL PC as well. WIPEOUT RULES! SUPPORT WIPEOUT XL NET!

Why isn't there a wipeout fusion for PC?

same reason there isn't one for WO3, Sony doesn't want there to be one. but as for that deeper reason, i don't know it; i could only speculate on the advantages of restriction to consoles.

i am glad that there is no PC version of them, i like to see a standard format that allows us to all compete against each other's times on a consistent base

Default umm

you never knwo... illl try it though...

Default PC versions

I would like to see a seperate release of a wipeout game for the PC. Companies are so stupid sometimes. If a new wipeout game came out for the PC, with multiplayer capabilities, then I would buy it, what about you people? Just imagine an online PC community for Wip3Out! I would be in my glory.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

Quote Originally Posted by wipeoud
    Strange I looked on its website and it says the newest version (0.63) doesnt support wipeout (broken)
    I can confirm that this does NOT work
    I can also confirm that it does not work in bochs, though the intro FMV runs better than in dosbox the error it gives in bochs is that it thinks the cdrom is a copy and warns me that "Piracy is theft!"
    the only thing really left to try to run it on my machine is something like vmware. but since I bought the PSX version last week second hand I really have no motivation to try anything more on PC

the only suggestion i can come up with is to create a small bootable partition on your hdd and download dos (V6.1 i think it will be) from the microsoft website and create a dos partition that can be booted from to play WO this is the only solution for an XP machine however if you have 95/98/NT then it should be possible to run it under that. Woking with the Dos partition you may want to re-write the config.sys to force Dos to allocate the correct ammount of system memory to WO to allow it to run smoothly
    JO

instead of reformatting your main drive, wouldn't it be easier just to use an old small harddrive set up just for old PC games?
    i have an old 1.3 GB that i can use to run WOXL and WO and a few other old PC versions of racing games. it's set up as a 'master' drive with Windows 98SE on it, so when i want to race with old games, including DOS ones, i can just unplug my main drive and plug the 'master' connectors into the oldgame harddrive. it only takes about a minute. even though i could run old games on my main drive because i use the much-despised ME [which is however, much loved by me], i prefer not to because some of those old badly coded DOS games i experimented with did odd things to my system that made it highly desirable to reinstall my operating system posthaste. better to play with a dedicated drive that doesn't have massive repercussions on one's main data and program collection. one can pick up these little no longer wanted castoff drives for free. people will almost pay you to take them away.

that looks really ev1l ;_; to do.... *cries*

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

I bought the PC version of WipEout, and tried it on both Windows '98 and XP. It requires a specific video card (I think the name was "Rage"?), so would not work at all. However, it did allow me to "install" the game, and therefore get the intro video, and manual on my PC to view at any time.

Being the nerd that I am, I found this useful to pause the intro vid at any time and examine the little background details...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

What the hell was up with the weird (read: not like the PSone version) ship colours in that game?

Medusa: theres a rage specific version iirc, theres a more common version that runs on other video cards as well

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Ah, lucky me for buying the Rage-specific one. I'll likely keep an eye out for the other one now. Just because.

could you not install virtual pc,install dos on the virtual machine then load wipeout within that?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Even better, you could use DOSbox!

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

According to their website it runs cleanly in version 0.7 and above. Now where did I put that disc...