Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Zone

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Sven-RIT

Default Best Zone

What's the best Zone anyone's gotten to on any track? What was your top speed and score?

For the longest time on the first track I had 23 as my best zone even if I got to a higher zone (zone 30) it wouldn't record it because my score was so high. Then I noticed I was using the air brakes too often to get to the higher zones. I don't have my psp on hand so I don't remember at the moment. But I haven't got to 35 on any of them yet I don't think.

more later.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Sven-RIT

What, do you airbrake your way around the track so you don't wreck?

I've gotten as high as Zone 36...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Quote Originally Posted by Sven
    What, do you airbrake your way around the track so you don't wreck?

I've gotten as high as Zone 36...
    Yeah, I've only played for about 6 hours total game time so far...

41 is good ill'beat it. wait a day or two (for the first track)

...what is your best for the fourth and what do you think was your best round @ chencov phantom?

greats - kNa :

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I'd have too look what my best time on the 4th zone track is, but it's just sightly above the gold medal requirements, I'm not really that big of a fan of zone mode. Probably 36 or 38 something.

as for my best time on chenghou, check out this site http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/, you may find this interesting.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    KingTalo

Default Re: Best Zone

So far all my zones are 35/36. I got 30+ on all of them before i started playing tournaments, so i got 144 medals just playing with zone team (I hope that's not a bad thing, i just really love zone, esp fusions zone). I started practicing with some of the other teams once i got purist though.

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

I can't imagine there'll be much of a problem with using the Zone ship, maybe the guys who have the game will be a bit against it in TT, seeing as they seem to like using their own fav. team, but when I get pure, i'll be using the Zone ship for everything probs, closest thing to a super ship (said without knowing the stats of the remaining downloadable ships (of course))

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

It doesn't really matter in TT either, since the zone ship isn't really THAT superior. On curvey tracks like citta nuova other ships are much better.

As for using the zone ship for everything because it has the best stats: I don't mean to be rude to anyone, but I just can't stand the way of though many pilots have of just choosing the best team because it's easiest to win then. WHAT IS THE POINT? I was playing through the whole game in my Assegai, even though I did have the zone ship already. I know it would have been easier using the zone ship, but what the heck? The reason for me to choose a specific team is their color scheme, their logo, their IDENTITY. I don't care what team is BEST, I pick the one that looks and feel coolest do me, the one I can identify with. That's the whole point of having different teams! I really hate it that most people just go pick the best, I don't care how it looks and how it feels to drive. C'MON PEOPLE; SHOW SOME COLOR! The zone ship doesn't even have a logo or color scheme! :roll:

I guess people who are choosing the zone ship immediately just because it has the best stats, those are the exact same people who always join the winning teams on team based multiplayer games, just because they care so much about winning that they forgot to enjoy the game itself

end of rant.

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

In case you didn't know, until not long ago, I never used the Icaras on W3O, i competed in all of the Phantom time trials in the Qirex, even got a couple of second places, but at the end of the day, I figured, if your lap record could be faster, why not?

You can still use the other ships, in the way that those tied into the W3O SE Stick2trax challenge are setting amazing times/have set amazing times with the Goteki45 for example, but in all fairness there's *always* going to be a sea of difference in ships, so that might as well be a different league completely.

I'll get loads of fun out of playing WOP, i'm sure, but since for me it's not about SR (never liked SR TBH, to many random "brought to a skidding halt"s and last corner wayward missile arse rapings,) i'll be rushing through those as quick as I can.

BTW, you're right, those who pick the fast teams do so because the faster team gets the best time, makes the game faster, adds challenge (generally, thanks to the common terrible steering) and when everyone's using it, it ensures an equal playing field, means it's, at the end of the day, all down to pilotting skills; not this ship's missing 50kph at the end of the straight, or that ship's inability to actually get going until the dawn of the next Ice age, this might be exactly what you're doing with the ghost uploady site, just in miniaturised form on certain tracks, with slower ships.

Sure many will probs change their mind when playing the game, the shield problem'll be very apparent, at least in SR, but it's just a loose plan for what I think ill be doing, besides I like the Pirhana most, it looks pretty in all the best ways and it's stats look a-pretty-pretty good, so I might not use the Zone ship if there's, as you say, not much to tell

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

if you don't enjoy the SR much, which I personally cannot really understand, for I love it, then I understand that you will take the zone ship to finish it as quickly as possible. And in TT, as I said, I don't care much about the zone ship, for there are only few tracks where it can show its advantage in end speed.
    That's all fine with me, don't get me wrong.
    What I don't like is the attitude of some people to play through a game not to enjoy doing so, but to have done so. You see the difference? Some people seem to think it's just about winning and proving to yourself that you're the best or whatever. WAKE UP PEOPLE! IT'S JUST A GAME! Might as well enjoy it while playing! And for the full enjoyment of the game, IMHO, you need to get some variety, using all the different ships to try and see which fits you the best. You know, in purE, more than in any previous wipEout, each ship really feels different to drive, not just accel and handling wise, but also forcing a different racing line. It's like the difference between driving a roadster or a suburban, for example. And personally, I don't like the driving feel of the zone ship at all. Also I don't like the feel of the triakis, and the feisar is too responsive for me. And when you say -'those who pick the fast teams do so because the faster team gets the best time, makes the game faster, adds challenge (generally, thanks to the common terrible steering)'- I say you're wrong. First of all I don't know why you are saying the steering is generally terrible in w'o'' games, I always found wipEout's steering spot on and the most distinctive and unique I have seen in any videogame. And secondly, as I can say from my own experience with ghosting so far, you get one hell of a kick out of beating a zone ship ghost with your supposedly slower favorite team, in my case assegai. Team devotion adds a LOT to this game I feel.

he probably means that the fastest ships commonly have poor steering/maneuverability. like Icaras, and Qirex in the games where it is very fast like 2097 and WO3

I`m going to use the fastest ship for the given course/class in TT - after all, for me, TT is about getting the fastest time I can and hopefully trying to beat other human`s times. But if the Zone ship isn`t always the fastest, as EH says, I`ll be really pleased. I haven`t played the game enough to work this out for myself yet. I`m not going to use zone for races though - that would be pretty tedious getting wasted all the time and barrel-rolling myself to death. I also love the feel of Qirex and other default ships much more than Zone. It would be tedious to use zone for everything, and the ship balance is a lot better than many of us, including me, have given credit for in the past.

OnTopic - best zone is 41 on Pro Tozo, which is the only course I`ve played beyond just getting golds. You have to love the names of the zone tracks.

Has anyone worked out how the zone scoring system works yet? My high score is only for zone 38. I`ve worked out there`s a big bonus to be had for perfect laps, and I got 8, I think, in that race - a lot more than my highest zone race. I`m not sure that you score faster for travelling faster like in Fusion, or if there are any bonuses available apart from PLs. Also does your shield level have an influence on the score, like in Fusion? I`ve noticed also that you can replenish your shield if you get perfect zones - at least I think this is what does it.

I`m not going to play this zone mode as much as Fusion zone mode. Its very cool but my eyes go out of focus after a few races and it takes a while to get them back again. Also the rest of the game is worth our time too, as we all know by now.

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

Yeah ElHabib, I was referring to the faster ships having terrible steering, the enjoyment in WO for me personally comes from mastering ships like the Qirex and icaras since they're so hard to control, it makes the eventual perfet races you get all the more meaningful. but meh, whatever, you enjoy the game(s) for what you want out of them and I'll enjoy them for what I want out of them, it's a case of each to their own. :wink:

Lunar, this zone scoring thing, do you mean that your score isn't the number of zones you've gone through?[/still doesn't have the game]

The ultimate objective of zone is meant to be to get the highest score possible. In zone you have a score counter on the screen which increases all the time you are "racing" - and the higher zone you reach the longer it runs, and the higher your score goes, obviously. But this doesn`t mean the highest zone will necessarily have the highest score as there ways to get bonuses, such as flying Perfect Laps. In Fusion you could increase the rate of scoring, there were more bonuses and there was a multiplier, but I think in Pure you just need PLs to get the big bonuses and a good score.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension
    Yeah ElHabib, I was referring to the faster ships having terrible steering, the enjoyment in WO for me personally comes from mastering ships like the Qirex and icaras since they're so hard to control, it makes the eventual perfet races you get all the more meaningful.
    I understand that, and I feel the same way, but the zone ship ISN'T HARD TO CONTROL AT ALL. It has the best steering of all ships, that's why you can't put it in one line with 'hard' fast ships like icaras.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Quote Originally Posted by lunar
    The ultimate objective of zone is meant to be to get the highest score possible. In zone you have a score counter on the screen which increases all the time you are "racing" - and the higher zone you reach the longer it runs, and the higher your score goes, obviously. But this doesn`t mean the highest zone will necessarily have the highest score as there ways to get bonuses, such as flying Perfect Laps. In Fusion you could increase the rate of scoring, there were more bonuses and there was a multiplier, but I think in Pure you just need PLs to get the big bonuses and a good score.
    I just thought this would be used when zoners are getting the same zones as each-other and can't get ahead, they'd take their last largest score and use these points instead of zones.

I think the zone scoring works like this:

Perfect Lap: 2000 points
    Perfect Zone: 1000 points
    Speed Pad: 100 points

I don`t think bonuses are affected by your zone, speed or shield strength. The points counter runs at a constant speed too, as far as I can tell, so getting good scores is very much about flying clean at the speeds you can more or less handle. An extra couple of zones at the end, when you`re slamming the walls and generally being out of control (I`m assuming everyone does this), won`t get you many points.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Sven-RIT

hmmm....I would have hoped the rate of scoring depended on speed. That speed and zone don't affect the score seems pretty odd, and defeats the purpose of Zone mode, imo. I think the whole purpose should be to see how fast you can go...